Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:33 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Apparently you have never seen the faces of young children watching the balloons go down the street. Children from NYC and surrounding areas can enjoy this for free.
We love going to Central Park the night before to watch them blow up the balloons, it's a great family tradition!

Last edited by shorebaby; 10-12-2011 at 12:19 PM..

Old 10-12-2011, 11:47 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That probably makes more sense than the OP's question, since the Thanksgiving Day Parade doesn't take place anywhere near the downtown area, but the ticker-tape parades do.

But, if the Yankees won the World Series and were given a parade, the OWS people would be removed from lower Manhattan that day, I'm sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Not everyone knows their way around NYC.
This is true, but it seems to me that with Manhattan's small-island geography, all the focus on Wall Street even before this protest, and the jillion times aerial maps were shown in the media re the WTC, people might have a handle on the basic layout of the country's largest city. It's probably the easiest city in the country to figure out and navigate.

Oh wait. We're talking about Americans and geography here! Never mind.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but the Yankees arent going to the Worlds Series this year.
I care about baseball just a SMIDGE more than I do about football, which could disappear from the face of the earth and I'd never miss it. Those in my family that do care about baseball are Mets fans anyway. And it sure doesn't look as if they'll be covered in confetti anytime soon, either!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:14 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Because I like to? I've been cooking for 20 years. Got it down to a science. Mr. Mags ain't complaining and neither are the Baby Mags'. And we have only us here for Thanksgiving - me, DH and the boys. It's quite relaxing to sit around all day eating, drinking wine and not having to deal with 60 people.

Why you must be so nasty to others about how they spend their holiday is beyond me. So hateful. SMH
I dont really give a damn how anybody spends their holiday, but anyone that thinks that a parade sponsored by a retailer to pump their bottom line is a beloved
American institution is sadly deluded.
BTW, hateful?
Perhaps those with thin skins should stay out of this forum.
Oh, and one last thought....cooking with my cousins and aunts, learning and passing on beloved heirloom recipes while enjoying wines and liqueurs made by my uncles as well as enjoying the bounties of their hard labor, vis a vis the turkey they hunted and smoked, and the produce they grew, trumps "relaxing".
After all, isnt that what Thanksgiving is really about?
Giving thanks for the bounty that ones hard labor provides?
Some people care for tradition more than others.
-shrugs-

Old 10-12-2011, 06:33 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
As a matter of fact there are people that purchase items that are not shoved down their throats buy mass marketing, mind manipulation techniques...and getting back to the subject at hand...I don't think that grotesquely large helium filled cartoon characters best represents what Thanksgiving is supposed to be about...(which in reality was the signal that set off the annihilation of countles Native American people)...a subject for another thread.

Maybe the protestors on Wall Street would appreciate the opportunity to feel thankful, when the hope of the American Dream is restored for the average person.
What items are these? I am truly interested.

As for the parade, it's fun. End of story. If you don't like it, that's fine. But the uppity attitudes are tiresome.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is true, but it seems to me that with Manhattan's small-island geography, all the focus on Wall Street even before this protest, and the jillion times aerial maps were shown in the media re the WTC, people might have a handle on the basic layout of the country's largest city. It's probably the easiest city in the country to figure out and navigate.

Oh wait. We're talking about Americans and geography here! Never mind.
Seriously? I'm sure there are areas of the country with which you are not familiar. No one knows everything.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I dont really give a damn how anybody spends their holiday, but anyone that thinks that a parade sponsored by a retailer to pump their bottom line is a beloved
American institution is sadly deluded.
BTW, hateful?
Perhaps those with thin skins should stay out of this forum.
Oh, and one last thought....cooking with my cousins and aunts, learning and passing on beloved heirloom recipes while enjoying wines and liqueurs made by my uncles as well as enjoying the bounties of their hard labor, vis a vis the turkey they hunted and smoked, and the produce they grew, trumps "relaxing".
After all, isnt that what Thanksgiving is really about?
Giving thanks for the bounty that ones hard labor provides?
Some people care for tradition more than others.
-shrugs-
I'm not deluded. I know what our family traditions are and one of them includes vegging out in front of the TV after a big meal watching TV. Tell me, do any of your 60+ relatives watch football after dinner? If so, it's the same exact thing.

Yes, hateful. I have a very thick skin but it doesn't mean I can't recognize callousness when I see it.

I have cooked with my mom and aunt in the past. But in recent years, we've decided to stay home for a variety of reasons. Thanksgiving is about spending time with your family in whatever way your family sees fit. We give thanks before eating dinner and we do celebrate with our own traditions. Are you suggesting only your traditions are "real"?

Old 10-12-2011, 06:57 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
What items are these? I am truly interested.

As for the parade, it's fun. End of story. If you don't like it, that's fine. But the uppity attitudes are tiresome.
Most, if not all of the products that I purchase, are not being sold via ads written on Madison Avenue.

Cosmetics
Dr Hauschka
River Soap
Annemarie Borlind
Weleda

Household Cleaners
Ecover
Sun&Earth
Air Sense

Clothing
Maggies Organics
Anthropologie

etc, etc, etc.

This is just a small sampling of items that are not advertised on TV and pushed in your face via large corporations.

I purchase zero food from companies that run TV ads and sadly, Macys and stores like it have also resorted to selling crap from China. I also make it a point to search out Made in The USA products when available.

You obviously missed the irony of the thread and ignorance is what is "tiresome."

Old 10-12-2011, 07:07 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
How much easier this thread would have been from the beginning if, when asked, someone just said no, due to geography, it shouldn't be affected. Instead, all this derision for those that actually do see this parade as a tradition. Just don't understand this attitude. To each his own, I guess.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Seriously? I'm sure there are areas of the country with which you are not familiar. No one knows everything.
Yeah, but basic familiarity with the layout of Manhattan should be a requirement. It is the Center Of The Universe, after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies