Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 07:26 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,412,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Through the legal system, via powers of attorney and wills you can ensure that your significant other has all the "rights" afforded to them to become beneficiaries of your estate property, make health care decisions for you, etc., The only thing that your significant other cannot do is be included on a health care plan.

Homosexuals have acquired the privilege of being able to cohabitate openly without fear of reprisal, which would have been unheard of centuries, or even decades ago; they cannot be discriminated against or mistreated by "hate" crimes or other harassment.

If, one day you find your significant other, your blind determination to be married will force you to abandon your family and friends, but that is YOUR choice to make. Instead of being content to keep the status quo, you feel that you must "make a point". If you would just be happy to live your life together you wouldn't have all this drama.

20yrsinBranson
Wildly incorrect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Children are imprinted at an early age, partly by role modeling, suckling at mothers breast and teaching. Gays are confused then indoctrinated, but we will not pretend that this is normal. It is an aberration. We will not pretend that men and women are the same, we have different functions in this world - as it should be.
We will not pretend that you know anything at all about sexual orientation....

Old 10-28-2011, 07:32 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,801,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post

Marriage is defined as the union between a man and a woman.
It is? According to whom? And what gives them the authority to arbitrarily define words for the rest of humanity?

Old 10-28-2011, 07:32 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,490,383 times
Democrats have structured the tax code in such a way as to penalize married couples. Part of their plan to destroy the American family.

What does that mean, to be a 30 year old virgin homosexual? Kathleen Sebelius will grant you taxpayer funded psychiatric counselling.

I hope that waiting for "the right guy" ... one your Dad will proud of ... will be worth the wait. And that your first boinking in the butt is SPECIAL.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I know it is hard, but you should stay celibate.
Why should he stay celibate? If you're going by the Bible, Paul says that's not a good idea unless God gave him the gift for it.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
The biggest objection to gay marriage is tradition. Many religious conservatives believe the family is the basic unit of society. The further believe that in the family the husband should be the head and the wife should be dutiful and obey her husband.

Now if you allow two men to marry, or two women to marry it totally destroys this. If you have two wives or two husbands who is supposed to submit to whom? Who is supposed to be the higher authority in the marriage?

This prospect is what many on the religious right view as terrifying about gay marriage. To them it undermines the idea of traditional marriage, because it undermines that basic unit of a family under the leadership of one husband/father.

On the other hand if you view the individual as the basic unit of society and see men and women as equals in relationships gay marriage tends not to really a problem.
Lol traditional marriage.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I understand exactly what you are saying, and agree - but it's too complicated for them to comprehend. It's easier to just call you a hater and a bigot.
You guys are. You prove that in every post you make.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:52 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,490,383 times
Mom, Dad,

Meet Hank.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:59 AM

38,650 posts, read 26,444,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The issue is the word marriage because the word defines the people who get married. I'm not a homosexual. I don't care if you are. I don't care what you and another guy do in private. It's really none of my business, but I don't want the word which describes one of the most important relationship one person can have with another altered.

Consider your word for a moment, "gay". I propose that all sexual deviants be defined as "gay" from now on. Rapist, child molesters, necrophiliacs, and all other perverts are now referred to as simply gay. Perhaps when someone hears that you are gay, you can explain that you are not one of those other gay people and that you are gay in the traditional sense of the word.

Does that work for you?

Leave our word alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I'm no more 'deviant' than you are. and i don't know what heterosexuality has to do with any of those things you listed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
But if you look at statistics it seems that heterosexuals usually don't stay married until death, they adopt kids or don't have them at all, many are not faithful, and vaginal intercourse isn't all they do and plenty have kids without marriage.

So the word marriage doesn't really imply any of that. I agree with the other poster who said it's just about tradition, but I'd add it's a FANTASY tradition. And I don't really want to deny someone any rights because of a fantasy.

Because people are imperfect doesn't convince me to scrap the institution or permanently alter it.

As for what it implies, that depends of the couple and their motives for marrying. I believe it should be entered into solely as a vehicle through which others are served. Certainly some people abuse the institution and use it for their own nefarious purposes, but I see no reason to punish those who do take marriage seriously for the misdeeds of those who do not.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It just cost my partner and I over $3500 do put together a trust/will/etc. Does a marriage license cost that much?
And that still won't have anything like the protections and benefits of a marriage license....

Neither will a civil union.

And neither will a marriage (in those states that will allow it) unless DOMA is put aside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies