Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 07:57 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,075,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
As a Black person you should have more sense than to say something like this. Point blank nothing is being HANDED to you through affirmative action. blacks generally have to have MUCH higher qualifications to even be considered equally with whites. Stop trying to appease whites with this handout nonsense. Clearly you are a Clarence Thomas type.
What?

Principled? Intelligent? Qualified? Educated? Accomplished?

When black people stop bashing people like Herman Cain, Clarence Thomas and Condoleeza Rice as "uncle toms", they will begin to change as a group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 08:04 AM

712 posts, read 1,367,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I can also honestly say, there isn't a person here that I dislike.
Look in the mirror.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:10 AM

402 posts, read 590,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
What?

The only description from that list that fits Uncle Clarence is "educated." He's a laughingstock on the Supreme Court.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:20 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,759,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
The only description from that list that fits Uncle Clarence is "educated." He's a laughingstock on the Supreme Court.
Maybe Uncle Clarence is too "White" for you.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:33 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,759,712 times
[quote=Lucario;21472872]What's stupid is making uninformed assumptions such as the one above.

Now that makes sense. You shouldn't care about what we call ourselves.

Quote:
You're right, it shouldn't matter.........Then again, the Constitution was written by and for people who owned slaves and even quantified blacks as being 3/5 of a human being. So I'm admittedly and justifiably not swayed by the arguments of people who wish to invoke the Constitution to justify their views on this subject.

[/QUOTE]
"The three-fifths clause was not a measurement of human worth; it was an attempt to reduce the number of pro-slavery proponents in Congress. By including only three-fifths of the total numbers of slaves into the congressional calculations, Southern states were actually being denied additional pro-slavery representatives in Congress."

Old 10-29-2011, 08:57 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,966,793 times
"Originally Posted by SDBorn
Beyond that, having been a human resources manager for the largest retailer in the country that had to meet Affirmative Action quotas, I can tell you from personal experience I was forced to hire a less qualified Pacific Islander than the African American I wanted to hire because of said quota. It was then it became painfully evident to me that Affirmative Action was unfair. Unfair to the person qualified for the position, the person I had to hire instead and to the business for which we worked."

I have seen this happen many times in favor of "African Americans" in the day. We (as managers) considered it unfair, but we certainly could not do anything about it because of government regulations.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:01 AM

402 posts, read 590,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Maybe Uncle Clarence is too "White" for you.
He's too stupid for me. But he had no qualms in using affirmative action. He just doesn't want other Blacks to benefit from it. That's it in a nutshell. But he tries to cover by saying he wants everyone to earn their place.

Besides, any time anyone holds Uncle Clarence up as some type of example or role model, I know exactly what kind of mentality I'm dealing with.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:42 AM

15,104 posts, read 8,659,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
And you're splitting hairs to a millimeter. African American IS an ethnicity.

And that makes no sense.
Would it be splitting hairs to point out that somewhere on the "Continent" of Africa, there be born a few white babies?

Are they not "Africans" too? Of course they are, and the very labeling of "African" as an ethnicity or race is bone headed nonsense. But that does seem to define a vast number of Americans these days ... we seem eager to embrace all sorts of bone headed nonsense. That has become one of our calling cards.

But let me ask you .... if your origin of birth is America .... are you not an American in the exact same context that would make you an Australian if born in Australia? What about Cuba, you'd be a Cuban if born there, right? Are there no black people in Australia? No white people in Cuba?

No matter where you or your family roots originate from, be it Australia, Cuba, Africa or anywhere else, that label doesn't identify your ethnicity.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:47 AM

24,446 posts, read 23,114,427 times
I've never, ever described myself as a white american( what am I, cheese?) I'm an american whose race is white( like anybody cares anyway). I've never described myself as european american. But I have described myself as Pa dutch and pa dutch and welsh. I'll say I'm white if someone asks my race. If they ask my nationality its american. If its your ethnic background its back to Pa dutch( german, although that would include some french and swiss who did make up some of who became the pa dutch) and welsh.
Really race and ethnic heritage is not much of an issue to others and not one people really care about. This thread seems to be trying to make a statement about an issue that doesn't really seem to be an issue. No offense.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:35 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,891,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
What?

When black people stop bashing people like Herman Cain, Clarence Thomas and Condoleeza Rice as "uncle toms", they will begin to change as a group.
well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies