Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 09:56 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,568,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You missed my point entirely.

If this was the case, however, it took her three years to "find another job," and meanwhile, she was being dishonest. Not to mention lazy - like I said, she spent most of her time at work on her cell phone.

For the LIFE of me, I couldn't figure out why her incompetence was tolerated - till I became a manager myself and realized just how complicated it was to terminate a minority employee. Then I understood perfectly.

By the way, as a manager, I hired several minority bankers and tellers, and the majority of them were EXCELLENT employees and great hires. In fact, though I no longer work there, several of the minorities I hired have progressed nicely - on their own merit - and I know I hired and trained them well (along with the other hires under my management), and I am proud of them - and feel good about my accomplishments there as well.

My issue though is that when I had to terminate a white guy, it was a piece of cake. Bam, you're gone. Terminate a minority or a protected class? BIG RED TAPE ISSUE.
Yep, terminating White guys is always a "piece of cake"...

Former employee arrested for shooting outside TV station - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

5 shot, 2 killed; former Penske employee in custody *| ajc.com

Fired employee kills headmistress, self in Florida high school shooting - CNN

Ex-employee charged after fatal shooting: Crime | Alaska news at adn.com

"Crazy Pat's" Revenge - TIME

Going postal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and on and on...."bam you're gone" is how they see it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 09:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,153,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
terminating a minority is only a problem for companies that allow themselves to be intimidated. It is a problem for human resource staff, that should not be in the position they are in.

now on the other hand, if a company is trying to terminate without just cause, it is easier to get rid of the white person then it is a minority, why? well simple, many white people get mad and that is it, many minorities have been subjected to discrimination at points in their lives, and are more then willing to make the managers answer for their mistakes.
My background is HR compliance. I worked for years with a company that dealt with Affirmative Action, disability, workers comp, EEOC lawsuits, etc. I have a lot of experience with this whole issue. I've seen one horror story after another, involving many abuses of "the system" by all sorts of people.

Many companies feel their hands are tied, and can't afford to even fight and WIN a lawsuit. So they overcompensate, unfortunately.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 07-12-2012 at 10:05 AM..

Old 07-12-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I keep coming back to this video, forget race or color....

What happened to the MEN in this world that would let this person get in the face and terrorize an old woman ? I would like to think most MEN (that I know) would have stepped up to the situation.

I think I'd gone up and asked Grand Ma if I could join her in that seat and let her know she's protected.

Can we no longer take care of our women or has that become too much a function of the Govt ?
I know, right? Really sad.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:59 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,086,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My background is HR compliance. I worked for years with a company that dealt with AA, disability, workers comp, EEOC lawsuits, etc. I have a lot of experience with this whole issue. I've seen one horror story after another, involving many abuses of "the system" by all sorts of people.

Many companies feel their hands are tied, and can't afford to even fight and WIN a lawsuit. So they overcompensate, unfortunately.
Then those companies shouldn't be hiring anyone, and should close their doors, or fire all their HR workers, because if they are acting like this, then they are losing money, which just shows, they do not know what they are doing.

and yes you are right they feel they can not fight and win, when they have no just cause to terminate. I mean seriously minorities get fired every day without there being any problems. why because there is just cause.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:04 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,704,442 times
Originally Posted by NHartphotog
Nobody in their right mind would claim to be white in this society. It's like saying I don't want the promotion or raise but I'll do the extra work and responsibility anyway; I need the job but since I'm so "privileged" it will go to someone of a more "downtrodden" race; I'm happy to pay so much in taxes even though I don't qualify for any gov't give-away (and never will, despite political promises).

I have a family member who is 1/4 hispanic, and if he had mentioned this to the Personnel Dept when he joined the company 25 years ago I'm sure he'd be getting 100 times the pay--and NONE of the stress/misery/hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
I don't think that this is true...

As an African Hispanic () I KNOW that's not true. That ain't nothing but fantasy.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Then those companies shouldn't be hiring anyone, and should close their doors, or fire all their HR workers, because if they are acting like this, then they are losing money, which just shows, they do not know what they are doing.

and yes you are right they feel they can not fight and win, when they have no just cause to terminate. I mean seriously minorities get fired every day without there being any problems. why because there is just cause.
Yeah, right. Every company that struggles with HR issues involving minorities should close it's doors.

If we did that, nearly every business with over 50 employees would have to shut down.

It's not a one way issue - the problems stem not only from HR, but from the hiring pool.

How much experience do you have hiring and terminating others? Just curious.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:07 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,704,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
It isn't administrative incompetence. I dealt with a similar thing when I worked as a cashier. My supervisor did whatever she wanted even if the store manager didn't like it. One day she grabbed the arm of a 16yo worker and left bruise marks on her arm. The store was all set to terminate her, but she pulled the race card and they backed off. It took the parent of the teen threatening to sue the company for them to finally terminate the supervisor. To this day, when I run into her, she claims she was fired for her race. This is the most extreme case I have seen personally, but I have dealt with similar issues when I was an assistant store manager. What always annoyed me was that if two people,one black the other Caucasian, applied for a job, had the same education, experience, and training I had to hire the black applicant without question. I couldn't take into consideration personality or how well each would get along with the crew. Luckily the two times this happened to me the Caucasian applicant had the personality of a sponge, so I lucked out.

How is affirmative action not a minority privilege? There are countless scholarships out there designed for minorities only, but they can also apply for any of the scholarships I can, there is one "white" scholarship that gives like $200, but they are considered racists because it is reserved for Caucasians. How is that not a minority privilege?
There are scholarships out there for every white ethnic group under the sun. Irish, Italian, German, Portuguese, French, Norwegian, Scottish, Polish, Hungarian, etc. Google is your friend.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Originally Posted by NHartphotog
Nobody in their right mind would claim to be white in this society. It's like saying I don't want the promotion or raise but I'll do the extra work and responsibility anyway; I need the job but since I'm so "privileged" it will go to someone of a more "downtrodden" race; I'm happy to pay so much in taxes even though I don't qualify for any gov't give-away (and never will, despite political promises).

I have a family member who is 1/4 hispanic, and if he had mentioned this to the Personnel Dept when he joined the company 25 years ago I'm sure he'd be getting 100 times the pay--and NONE of the stress/misery/hassle.

As an African Hispanic () I KNOW that's not true. That ain't nothing but fantasy.
You got that right.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
There are scholarships out there for every white ethnic group under the sun. Irish, Italian, German, Portuguese, French, Norwegian, Scottish, Polish, Hungarian, etc. Google is your friend.
This is very true also. However, a white person would have to be able to prove via approved records (such as census records or certified birth certificates) in nearly all these sorts of scholarships that they are directly descended from the particular ethnic group within one or two generations. I've checked into a lot of these.

Just sayin'. But you're right - they ARE out there.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:13 AM

4,235 posts, read 3,780,483 times
My mom is a nurse and worked at a VA hospital in a supervisor position. My mom being white was actually the minority there because she was the only white person on shift. As a supervisor she would hand out list of stuff they needed to accomplish on each shift and they would always complain saying its" because im black", or "im not doing it", "Im not your slave". My mom was threatened a few times and almost punched. SHe would have to pick up the slack from her crew because they would dissappear. These are veterans they are supposed to be taking care of and this is how they are treating them. My mom brought this up to her boss several times and her boss said that you are to new here and they have been her much longer..if you complain you will be the one stirring the pot and you will be the one that gets in trouble not them. Just deal with it. My mom ended up quitting because the stress of going to work each day in that was to difficult. SHe has been a nurse for 30 plus years and had never experienced anything like that before.

These are govt workers acting this way. These people should be booted. I told my mom to contact the local news but we found out that it had been brought to them in the past but it was swept under the carpet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies