Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 02:41 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,275,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Nobody in their right mind would claim to be white in this society. It's like saying I don't want the promotion or raise but I'll do the extra work and responsibility anyway; I need the job but since I'm so "privileged" it will go to someone of a more "downtrodden" race; I'm happy to pay so much in taxes even though I don't qualify for any gov't give-away (and never will, despite political promises).

I have a family member who is 1/4 hispanic, and if he had mentioned this to the Personnel Dept when he joined the company 25 years ago I'm sure he'd be getting 100 times the pay--and NONE of the stress/misery/hassle. Reverse discrimination is so prevalent today that I sometimes wonder if I actually AM African-American, or appear so to everyone around me. Cashiers literally walk away from their registers when I finally reach them in line, after waiting quietly and patiently. I have stood waiting for a restaurant seat and more than once had the greeter avoid my eyes, step around me, and ask to help the person behind me. I have waited in line at the Pharmacy and had many people walk in front of me "just to ask a question" and then tie the cashier up for 20 minutes, and I have waited at the same Pharmacy in the long line, and then when my order was ready and I was called, the cashier told me to go to the end of the line again--something that I had never seen happen ONCE in hundreds of trips to that pharmacy. My spouse gets the same treatment I do: we're both non-descript white, we both are not either aggressive or too passive; and we're of opposite sexes. I wonder what exactly other people SEE when they look at us and classify us as "To be Ignored" since I never see this treatment given to anyone else.

In short, people treat some types of people like dirt, and if you happen to be African-American you'd naturally assume that your race was the reason. I'd NEVER choose to be "white" in America today, and in fact when I change careers (hopefully soon) I think I'd better paint myself very dark and use brown contacts. I wonder if I'd still be ignored by sales clerks and restaurant greeters?
"minorities" can be rude too. The neighborhood I lived in where the bario took over had hispanic families who weren't and moved, and one was a woman who was a grand mother. She spoke spanish and english and my son really enjoyed playing with her grandson. But I was talking to her one day, nobody but us, and two of her hispanic friends came up. She stopped, mid sentence, switched to spanish, and ignored me. Shortly after that her grandson quit visiting since she didn't like the new kids around and they moved, but I really considered saying hi, then switching to German, which I took in school and seeing what her reaction would be, then explaining that rudeness is not acceptable whoever it was.

There was also a family from Equidor. Their two girls did NOT associate with the neighbor boys from Mexico or even locally born. They played with their cousins. They were extremely prejudice against what they condidered to be local rabble. They'd talk about them and my ex understood enough spanish to know what they were saying.

Being judgemental is a human trait, not one exclusive to anyone and should not be acceptable from anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 02:42 PM

78,491 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Deal?

After reading innumerable threads and comments regarding racial self-identification, lack of assimilation, and screeds about multiculturalism I thought to myself why is it that I've never read a thread or comment advocating the ending of the classification referred to as white? I mean if African American is so offensive because of its alleged inaccuracy then why not do a way with the term white, after all, white people are exactly white or anything close to it. So, in the hopes of bringing about that much touted color blind society, I would like to make the following offer.

Do away with the idea or whiteness and I will stop identifying myself as an African American and ask others to do the same.

What do you think?
I prefer to be referred to as pigmentally challenged.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:10 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,275,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
This is administrative incompetence. They hired someone inexperienced to fill the job, but never clued her in on the difference between a job and a career? While she was fussing at you, you could have invested training right there. But you didn't. Someone invested the time training you, and you don't see fit to pay it forward? Houston, we have a problem.
When I was hired as a programerr trainee, I had a certificate from what was the top program in the country. The young black guy who was hired had one from a government program. On paper it looked good. But he was given the task of doing a program which would read and verify the users information. If it was a code it had to be one of those which were acceptable. If it was supposed to be a number it had to verify it was, and in range. It was the second or third assignment in a first year programming class.

Unfortunately, he was to create the test file from mine which was the rest of the system. It was small, but used information from three systems to make a new file so the people in the office could print out financial reports. Mine was infinitely more complicated.

I had it done and he had not finished his program. I offered help but he said he would have it done next week. Then the next week. I was going to write my own just so I could test but talked to my boss.

Turns out he'd never finished a program in his 'training'. He'd never typed it in or debugged it or compiled one. This means he really never learned the real logistics.

My boss worked with him for a little while and gave up. He got a new job and quit and my boss wrote it in a day.

Last I checked, my system was running fine, with no maintaince ever done. But this points to the problem of 'training programs' which don't train. He would not accept help, not even from our boss. But he wasn't even at the level of an early assignment in your first class. It wasn't his fault he had a crummy training, but he had willing people to help and turned them down and that was. But if its wondered why some 'minority' hiring is resented, this is an example why. This one person who was clueless held everyone else up, and the contorllers office kept calling asking when it would be ready and he was the weak link. Some companies didn't trust the certificate and gave an apptitude/knowledge test to see if it was a fake training or a real program.

Some of the managers were black, and he quit since it was pretty clear they were done waiting on him and he was on the way out. But I'm sure he got hired since he filled in some quota. I'm also sure that he stayed way longer than someone not chosen minority would have since it was known he was the problem.

Sad thing is its left me to question all these 'minority training programs' and if they really do more than stick on a bandaid which looks good. When the graduates fail they are past needing to be noticed. But if you train, do it for real.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:40 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,327,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
"minorities" can be rude too. The neighborhood I lived in where the bario took over had hispanic families who weren't and moved, and one was a woman who was a grand mother. She spoke spanish and english and my son really enjoyed playing with her grandson. But I was talking to her one day, nobody but us, and two of her hispanic friends came up. She stopped, mid sentence, switched to spanish, and ignored me. Shortly after that her grandson quit visiting since she didn't like the new kids around and they moved, but I really considered saying hi, then switching to German, which I took in school and seeing what her reaction would be, then explaining that rudeness is not acceptable whoever it was.

There was also a family from Equidor. Their two girls did NOT associate with the neighbor boys from Mexico or even locally born. They played with their cousins. They were extremely prejudice against what they condidered to be local rabble. They'd talk about them and my ex understood enough spanish to know what they were saying.

Being judgemental is a human trait, not one exclusive to anyone and should not be acceptable from anyone.
I had the same experience. I was waiting for a store to open outside the door when a Hispanic woman walked up. We carried on a short conversation in English. She was very English proficient. Another Hispanic woman walked up and the conversation immediately turned to Spanish. I tried to join in and it was apparent that the second woman spoke English very well also. WTH? What what I all of a sudden, chopped liver? How rude!

Old 07-12-2012, 04:55 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,308,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The REAL irony, is the number of people in America, who think it's the job of working people to pay taxes to the Government, so the government can hand it out to them so they can eat and have a place to live.

Just because you are alive, doesn't mean I should support you. I have a job to support MY family, not you and yours.
That you complaint somewhere else, I'm unmarried, don't have any kids and make a fairly high income. I've been PAYING taxes without any refunds since the early 1990's.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Do you ever think that some people have unique experiences that allow them to have such insights? It isn't tough to have an insight into the mind of someone who hates "white" people just as it isn't hard to have insight into the mind of some racist ignorant hick.
As a black person it's impossible for me to know what it's like to be white.

As a white person it's impossible to for that person to actually KNOW what it's like to be a black person.

End of story!

Old 07-12-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
So is having pride in ones race wrong?

O.K your White and your proud of that.

I have no problem wiith it.

Thanks for sharig!

Old 07-12-2012, 05:18 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,328,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
As a black person it's impossible for me to know what it's like to be white.

As a white person it's impossible to for that person to actually KNOW what it's like to be a black person.

End of story!
Not really. If you and I were to be honest and discuss what we have gone through we can both understand each other better. I could have an idea of what it is like and so could you. I will never know what it like to have your skin and you will never know what it is like to have mine. But there is more to us than just the color of our skin.

Any struggle that you could go through I could as well. Any struggle I have faced you could too. We can both experience the same gains and losses.

There is nothing that you could go through that I could not in a similar way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
O.K your White and your proud of that.

I have no problem wiith it.

Thanks for sharig!

Actually I am not proud to be white. But I am not ashamed of it either. I am proud to be a human just like you. I am proud to know that we might even share a common ancestor. Why do we need to separate ourselves by our differences? Why can't we unite under our commonalities?

Old 07-12-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
OK, I agree. We'll abolish the WET (White Entertainment Television), the Congressional White Caucus, the NAWP (National Association of White People), the United White People College Fund, and the White Panthers.
But you still have the Country Music Network

The John Birch Society

Legacy admission for rich alumni who's children can't get into elite universities any other way i.e. George W. Bush Jr.

and the KKK, Aryan Nation, and Stormfront.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 07-12-2012, 05:41 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,573,570 times
Quote:
Why do we need to separate ourselves by our differences? Why can't we unite under our commonalities?
I'll drink to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies