Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 08:20 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I once wittness a lady get mugged by a black man in a black neighborhood. When the police came I wanted to tell them what I saw. I felt uncomfortable telling the police the mugger was black. Even though the lady who was robbed was black herself. I felt like I was offending people by saying so. But I was also feeling uncomfortable calling him African American.
In the end I did call him black. I made a choice. I mean, I could have called him " dark brown man". Would that have been better? Please tell.
I am a product of the civil rights movement and prefer to be racially identified as Black. The phrase "African American" is one invented by Jesse Jackson (whom I detest with every bone in my body) and adopted by the white media and sold to the rest of the world. I am not an African and I if I have to be labeled I unequivocably prefer to be called Black/Black American. You did just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 08:21 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,995,135 times
Default Yep ! ..... Them mean ole white folks ! ...... How dares dey calls themseffs "White" ! Halp Y'all !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Yeah! Judge people on their merits alone. In academia, business, public service, and government.

End affirmative action NOW.
nightflight !!! .............

Indeed ! ........ Totally agree with your last sentence !

Cheers / Ole Sgt. Lamar

Old 07-13-2012, 08:24 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
I hope this is sarcasm.

No....The man above you answered it just fine. Im sorry you did not get the point.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:25 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Deal?

After reading innumerable threads and comments regarding racial self-identification, lack of assimilation, and screeds about multiculturalism I thought to myself why is it that I've never read a thread or comment advocating the ending of the classification referred to as white? I mean if African American is so offensive because of its alleged inaccuracy then why not do a way with the term white, after all, white people are exactly white or anything close to it. So, in the hopes of bringing about that much touted color blind society, I would like to make the following offer.

Do away with the idea or whiteness and I will stop identifying myself as an African American and ask others to do the same.

What do you think?
I think you are absolutly correct. There is only ONE race. . . . .HUMAN!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:27 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I think you are absolutly correct. There is only ONE race. . . . .HUMAN!
I am so in agreement with you

Old 07-13-2012, 08:28 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
I am a product of the civil rights movement and prefer to be racially identified as Black. The phrase "African American" is one invented by Jesse Jackson (whom I detest with every bone in my body) and adopted by the white media and sold to the rest of the world. I am not an African and I if I have to be labeled I unequivocably prefer to be called Black/Black American. You did just fine.
Thanks.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:39 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,995,135 times
Default Yessuh ! I Be Ah Good Ole "German American Y'all" ! .... OTAY ! .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not every Black person is from Africa though.
HappyTexan !!! ... On The Money !

Yep ! ... It's all about Afrika ain't it ! ................. Love them Afrikan lookin ties some of the blokes wears in London ! ..... And all that Afrikan lookin clothing with the nice little tall cap !

Me thinks some blighters has gone completely bonkers over this ere I'm a "Afrikan America" or "Vietnamese American" !!!

Hopefully this idiocy will run it's course over the next couple of years ! .............. It has certainly been wore out in the States ! Lets just be "Proud Americans" ! ...... and forget the rest of the B.S. !

Ta Ta .......... Ole Sgt. Lamar

Old 07-13-2012, 10:45 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
I got a better idea, how about if some black people get so offended when I refer to them as blacks and instead prefer the term "African American", how about they refer to me as a European American? Fancy titles for certain people and simpler titles for others infer special treatment, and equality is supposed to be the end goal, last time I checked. So as long as they refer to me as white, I'll refer to them as black.

Honestly I'd rather drop the silly practice of using continents to indicate ancestral lineage, because plain old colors are so much easier. I'll be white, then there's blacks, Asians will be yellows, Hispanics and Latinos can be either browns or oranges (or both, really don't care), native Americans will be reds, etc. Seems pretty logical to me.
Better yet, we're all of human ancestry. Our cultural ancestry is continents and history and human stories and something nice to research, but does not make us that I have mostly ancestors from the British Isles, but am not British. But I love reading about the times they lives since a little bit of me comes form there.

What about just be human to human and share ancestry as a hobby?

Old 07-14-2012, 04:26 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,179,752 times
The only people I see putting everyone into their race slot are Liberals. They just can't let everyone be identified as an American, but have to put everyone into a slot by their race. They even create new slots like in the Zimmerman-Martin incident. Zimmerman was first called white, then white-hispanic. It is amazing.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:22 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,788 times
Interesting sidenote to this discussion, and a good example of how "race" is viewed in places other than the U.S.
Last summer my friends Ruth (pale skined) and Marcie (dark skinned) visited sub saharan Africa in order to work with young people who had been orphaned by the Aids epidemic. They are both PHD level psycologists. I was told that the residents of the region they visited had a hard time telling them apart. . . .apparently "all Amerians look the same". . . . .

an interesting comment on "race relations" No?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies