Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 06:58 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I know of many citizens (born here) of Mexican heritage that refer to themselves as Mexican-American or just plain Mexican. It always baffles me.
My gf (Hispanic) says she's heard people refer to themselves as "Mexican-American", but it's rare. And she uses the term "Mexican" in reference to Hispanics quite often.

But again, I don't know why anyone would care about any of this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 10:26 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Why? So is a white person who's family have lived in Africa for many generations and then moves to the USA, can not call themself Africans beacuse they are not black?
They're not even African, so how can they be considered African Americans?

I mean, if you guys are gonna play this game about black Americans not being African Americans because African immigrants say we aren't, then i can play that game too.

In Africa, black Africans don't consider white settlers to be African either. So if those people move here, how can they be African Americans?

Answer: they aren't.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Again, it appears that I must do what your schooling has not, and educate you. If you are WHITE, and born in AFRICA, and move to the U.S, you are a WHITE African American.

'White African-American' Suing N.J. Med School for Discrimination - ABC News

White African-American boy not ‘black’ enough for award

Metro Times - The white African-Americans
Post it a million times. Doesn't matter.

A white immigrant from Africa isn't an African American. Sorry.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I know of many citizens (born here) of Mexican heritage that refer to themselves as Mexican-American or just plain Mexican. It always baffles me.
Why should it baffle you? Why don't you just go on about your business and not worry about it. Isn't that easier to do?

Old 07-15-2012, 10:48 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,746,277 times
Quote:
I once wittness a lady get mugged by a black man in a black neighborhood. When the police came I wanted to tell them what I saw. I felt uncomfortable telling the police the mugger was black. Even though the lady who was robbed was black herself. I felt like I was offending people by saying so. But I was also feeling uncomfortable calling him African American.
In the end I did call him black. I made a choice. I mean, I could have called him " dark brown man". Would that have been better? Please tell.
Did you feel uncomfortable telling the police the mugger was a man?

Did you feel uncomfortable describing the mugger's estimated height and weight?

If the mugger was white, I am guessing you would be perfectly comfortable describing him as a white man.

Why would you feel uncomfortable giving a complete description of a mugger? He is a bad guy that needs to be caught.

Do you think black is a derogatory term?

There are black people, white people, and many different shades of brown people. That's just the way it is.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:49 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Did you feel uncomfortable telling the police the mugger was a man?

Did you feel uncomfortable describing the mugger's estimated height and weight?

If the mugger was white, I am guessing you would be perfectly comfortable describing him as a white man.

Why would you feel uncomfortable giving a complete description of a mugger. He is a bad guy that needs to be caught.

Do you think black is a derogatory term?

There are black people, white people, and many different shades of brown people. That's just the way it is.
Because when a white person commits a crime, that person pays the price. When a black person commits a crime, The Entire Black Race pays the price. That's the difference.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Because when a white person commits a crime, that person pays the price. When a black person commits a crime, The Entire Black Race pays the price. That's the difference.
ok. That would be unfortunate.

So if the person was a hero who saved a kid and left the scene, then glass_of_merlot would not be uncomfortable adding race to the man's description? Just trying to sort this all out...

Old 07-15-2012, 11:08 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
Greg, I think you know what I'm talking about.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:10 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
ok. That would be unfortunate.

So if the person was a hero who saved a kid and left the scene, then glass_of_merlot would not be uncomfortable adding race to the man's description? Just trying to sort this all out...
The "attributing behaviors of some individuals to the whole entire race" technique is generally only used in regards to negative behaviors and is one of the main ways racism takes form these days. Generally the same is not true of positive behaviors. When Obama became president, people started questioning if he was really born in the U.S. and was really eligible for president, they weren't exactly saying "See? Black folks can become president!" Instead they were questioning how "American" he "really" is. When a Black person commits a murder, it often starts up a dialogue about how All Black People Ever are so violent and barbaric and because they have higher crime statistics racial profiling is obviously justified and yadda yadda yadda. Rarely, if ever, do we hear these same dialogues in reference to white people. Given that many people do attribute the negative behaviors of some Black people to all Black people, you can hopefully understand why someone might not want to include the race of Black person who has just committed a crime...cause it's likely to fire up another racist "see, Black people are criminals, I avoid them for a reason" dialogue, yet again.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Greg, I think you know what I'm talking about.
I was in a discussion where I just wanted to know who the person was that I was supposed to see, because I don't recognize the name. After describing the person to me with no luck, the person I was talking with looked around and then very quietly said " he is that new black guy"

I just chuckled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies