Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
When American-born blacks cut their unwed mothers rate of 72% in half or better, then I'll consider them a decent people.
This would apply to white unwed mothers as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
When American-born blacks cut their unwed mothers rate of 72% in half or better, then I'll consider them a decent people.
Since you're gauging decency by one's decision to refrain from giving birth out-of-wedlock, I suppose the following celebs don't make your "decency" list either.

Affleck and Garner did baby first, marriage second.

Halle Berry and Gabriel Aubry (Oh, she's half-black, so that should be expected)
Matthew McConaughey and Camila Alves
Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie
Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams
Heidi Klum and Seal - "Seal was either a really, really good guy or blinded by Heidi Klum's dazzling beauty when he married her in 2005. Not only had Heidi just given birth to a love child, it wasn't even his."
Madonna and Guy Ritchie
Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
Farrah Fawcett and Ryan O'Neal

Celebrities Who Had Kids Out of Wedlock | Fox News

And, the list goes on. . .

Old 07-17-2012, 10:33 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Well, considering that you probably think that redneck culture is "superior", you can keep your consideration of "decent people."

Little Girl High on Sugar... "Honey boo boo childdd" - YouTube

Old 07-17-2012, 10:38 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
And let's not forget the mascot of all unwed moms/wefare queens...Octomom!

Nadya Suleman (Octomom) Maniacal Laugh On The View!! - YouTube

Old 07-17-2012, 10:45 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,476,777 times
99.999999% of blacks refuse to acknowledge or address the problem. Bill Cosby has been telling blacks for decades what they need to do, but blacks just call him names. Go figure...

Old 07-17-2012, 11:24 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
99.999999% of blacks refuse to acknowledge or address the problem. Bill Cosby has been telling blacks for decades what they need to do, but blacks just call him names. Go figure...
I have NEVER called Bill Cosby a name. In fact, I have the utmost respect for him, as do all of the black people I know. Go figure. . .

Old 07-17-2012, 11:34 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Deal?

After reading innumerable threads and comments regarding racial self-identification, lack of assimilation, and screeds about multiculturalism I thought to myself why is it that I've never read a thread or comment advocating the ending of the classification referred to as white? I mean if African American is so offensive because of its alleged inaccuracy then why not do a way with the term white, after all, white people are exactly white or anything close to it. So, in the hopes of bringing about that much touted color blind society, I would like to make the following offer.

Do away with the idea or whiteness and I will stop identifying myself as an African American and ask others to do the same.

What do you think?
You can label yourself any way you wish as long as you see the label as appropriate. I personally do not use African-American for three reasons: it assumes that all Africans are black and that all African culture is the same. This is definitely not the case. Are Libyans or Egyptians black? Nope. But they are definitely Africans. Do those from the Congo and Somali have the same culture? Nope. 2). Those who label themselves as African-Americans are generations deep in America. So they are simply Americans. Heck, most black Americans have an American lineage that runs deeper in America than most white Americans. 3). I have yet to meet an African-American who identifies with real African-Americans. This goes back to number 2.

There is a fourth reason, too: I cannot recall one black friend, acquaintance, or co-worker who labels themselves as African-American.

The purpose of the term was meant to imply not only the color of one's skin, but also the heritage and culture of that person. In a way, it was/is used to measure the degree of blackness of a person. And only serves to further divide. You are not truly black if you do not get with your roots. Really? A black person's skin tone is going to magically lighten?

Being "white" is not a cultural identity in itself as there is no real measure of whiteness. Some whites might accuse other whites of "being black", and others might accuse some whites as being uppity, but in general white people associate their identity to their own specific cultural upbringing and what can best be described as their own "situation" (Religion, economic, heritage, region, social, etc.) that shapes their identity. That is why the overwhelming amount of whites do not recognize, understand, or perhaps even accept the concept of "white privilege".

Being color-blind is a bad idea. A person's skin color is just as much a part of their identity as anything else. To not see a black man as black is to not acknowledge that he has his own set of struggles and triumphs associated with his race/ethnicity. Everyone should be evaluated by their individual strengths and weaknesses, and the color of a person's skin should not define who they are, but it is a part of their identity and should be accepted as such.

The only way to break down racial barriers is to recognize that people are different.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:38 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,476,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I have NEVER called Bill Cosby a name. In fact, I have the utmost respect for him, as do all of the black people I know. Go figure. . .
I doubt that most blacks have much respect for Cosby. It's also clear that what Cosby has been telling his own people for decades has not hit home with them and sunk in...because it's only gotten worse, much to the denial of the very people he was trying to help. Go figure...

Old 07-17-2012, 11:45 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
I call him "Dr. Cosby." I don't know what names anyone else uses.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:49 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Since you're gauging decency by one's decision to refrain from giving birth out-of-wedlock, I suppose the following celebs don't make your "decency" list either.

Affleck and Garner did baby first, marriage second.

Halle Berry and Gabriel Aubry (Oh, she's half-black, so that should be expected)
Matthew McConaughey and Camila Alves
Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie
Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams
Heidi Klum and Seal - "Seal was either a really, really good guy or blinded by Heidi Klum's dazzling beauty when he married her in 2005. Not only had Heidi just given birth to a love child, it wasn't even his."
Madonna and Guy Ritchie
Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
Farrah Fawcett and Ryan O'Neal

Celebrities Who Had Kids Out of Wedlock | Fox News

And, the list goes on. . .
Celebrities do not tend to be pillars of virtue. At least they can afford to raise their bastards in a manner where they grow up to be unincarcerated citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies