Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 10:36 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, it's all about color whether people will admit it or not.

You should have seen the flak I got here when I mentioned that my biracial kids don't identify themselves as "black" or "African American." And I was lambasted, not by "white people" - but by "African Americans" or "black people" or "people of color."

To be fair, only one or two. But they couldn't see the hypocrisy of demanding that a person who was part "black" or "African American" or whatever identify themselves as that, rather than saying they are biracial, or brown, or simply "American." They kept saying, "BUT THEY LOOK AFRICAN AMERICAN." And my personal favorite, "My African American family is lighter than your kids - some could even pass for white if they wanted to."

So the hell what? I'm not making any demands of others. Why demand that ANYONE choose one category or the other to identify with, when they are multi-ethnic and multi-racial? It's CRAZY.

Very few of us are racially "pure" - whatever that means. I look as white as Aunt Bea or Meryl Streep and even I have Native American ancestry. Not to mention Jewish ancestry - which historically hasn't been Aryan enough to suit some people.
Not to rehash that entire discussion with you but personally I took issue with the following:

1) The condescending tone of one (some) of your posts directed specifically at "Black" women and then additional posts in which you continued to criticize/bash "Black" women/girls specifically. I believe that several Black women who post interpreted your posts in the same manner.

2) The statement in one or more of your posts that implied that your biracial children are neither "Black" nor "White" when it probably would have been more accurate to state that they are both "Black" and "White."

3) That you were unable to understand the difference between someone labeling themselves (which they are fully entitled to do) and the fact that others will label based upon what they see (ie if someone looks Asian they are usually considered or assumed to be Asian; if someone looks Black they are usually considered or assumed to be Black)

4) That your responses to my comment that your daughter looks "Black" set you off giving the impression that you did not want your children to even be associated with "Black people"

5) That you made the assumption that I have a problem with non-Black people or mixed race people/families based upon the fact that I disagreed with your stance that your children were neither "Black" nor "White"

T'is all

ETA: I also found it hypocritical that you were attempting to preach about how everyone is the same, lets forget about race and then you give two examples of your children saying negative things about Black girls/women yet you basically agree and reinforce the negativity. One involved your daughter and Black girls at school and the other comment involved your son who dated a Black girl.

Then you gave an example of an incompetent co-worker who was a Black woman and when pressed by another poster you had to admit that this Black woman was not the only incompetent coworker you have ever had....but I think that you are not willing to admit that you have repeatedly expressed a bias against "Black" women which others have been able to see quite clearly based upon your own posts.

Last edited by calipoppy; 07-26-2012 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 10:40 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
You get flak due to ridiculous, long held beliefs about race which were ironically created in the past by racists. (See the "One Drop Rule" and Virginia's Racial Integrity Act of 1924 among many other examples). Personally, I refuse to abide by a mentality that was used to discriminate against my ancestors.

Some may give you flak because they see your kids rejection of "black" as an acceptance and embrace of "white". This may have been always true in the past with those "passing for white" out of necessity, self-preservation or personal gain, but is not always true now, with the wide acceptance and pride of biracial people these days.

I know better, since I have family doing the same thing, the kids call themselves "brown", which is neither an acceptance or rejection of either side.
Excellent post!

Old 07-26-2012, 10:55 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
If it's not about "skin color", then why are colors (though inaccurate) used to define the race of a person?

Based on this earlier post of yours, you seem to prefer the term "black American". Why not "brown American"? It's a more accurate description since virtually all aren't the color of the words I'm typing. Nor are "white Americans" the color of a sheet of paper.
I don't know, why don't you ask our government as they created the racial catagories in the census. There is no brown race catagory in the census. There is a white and black catagory, however and it isn't about skin color but race.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:01 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Excellent post!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I don't know, why don't you ask our government as they created the racial catagories in the census. There is no brown race catagory in the census. There is a white and black catagory, however and it isn't about skin color but race.
First of all, you still haven't answered my question. How is it NOT about skin color, if the racial category IS a color? Where the did arbitrary "black" and "white" come from? Are you saying it was just random colors chosen by the government that ironically are used by people everyday to define skin color?

Maybe you didn't read my criticism about having a government racial category or stats, 2 posts above the one you initially replied to.

Here it is again:

Quote:
My (very unrealistic) opinion is that we need to get rid of race-based identification period. If government's going to be in the "equality business", they should focus less on "race based statistics" and more on helping all people based on poverty and living disadvantaged areas when determining programs, assistance and handups. A rich minority kid doesn't need affirmative action, sorry.

Getting rid of race stats and helping all poor people may even help (in the very long term) to remove the stigma of certain things that are considered racial problems, but are really class problems.
Now that we've gotten out of the way, forget about the government. Will YOU, chicagonut embrace the idea of replacing the very inaccurate "black" with "brown" or something else more accurate?

Old 07-26-2012, 11:49 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Another question, why are Arabs "white" according to our census logic. The Iranians, Afghans, Armenians, Egyptians, Saudis, etc are all "white" according to our hierarchy, but I doubt many white people would consider them as "white" as Italian, Polish, Irish, or English people. Especially after 9/11, I am sure many of those people have suddenly been deemed de facto "people of color."

It is very clear these categories were designed to divide and assign a hierarchy in terms of treatment and privileges.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:01 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
How about this, if people must have catagories. Add a few. I remember back in the 70's and 80's when I was in college, they had a 'decline to state' box. Thats the first.

Then add a box that can be filled in. One could write in human or be descriptive down to the last ancestor. Then have one for those who don't want to write anything in (and have your census worker appear at your door again) just saying 'none of the above'. Nobody should have to state something which in no way defines them anyway. If they choose to let it them they can declare themselves.

This would mess up the use of it for stats since I'll bet a lot would decline if they could. Since it was known to be in error then it could be just a meaninless number.

Next time I'll write 'human' since they'll think the vacant lot next to me with an address is me again and they'll show up again saying I didn't return my form anyway.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:02 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Another question, why are Arabs "white" according to our census logic. The Iranians, Afghans, Armenians, Egyptians, Saudis, etc are all "white" according to our hierarchy, but I doubt many white people would consider them as "white" as Italian, Polish, Irish, or English people. Especially after 9/11, I am sure many of those people have suddenly been deemed de facto "people of color."

It is very clear these categories were designed to divide and assign a hierarchy in terms of treatment and privileges.
It's a grab for historical accomplishments. lol.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
It will never go away. The government has agendas and much of it is based on the color of your skin.
How many government programs would just end if we removed race ?

Old 07-26-2012, 12:11 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Thank you!

First of all, you still haven't answered my question. How is it NOT about skin color, if the racial category IS a color? Where the did arbitrary "black" and "white" come from? Are you saying it was just random colors chosen by the government that ironically are used by people everyday to define skin color?

Maybe you didn't read my criticism about having a government racial category or stats, 2 posts above the one you initially replied to.

Here it is again:

Now that we've gotten out of the way, forget about the government. Will YOU, chicagonut embrace the idea of replacing the very inaccurate "black" with "brown" or something else more accurate?
You just don't get it, do you? I didn't pick the names of the catagories for races so why are you asking me about it? They are what they are.

I don't consider describing those who are mostly from African ancestry as black "racially" as being inaccurate. Brown is not anymore more accurate of a word to use to describe them "racially".

I don't like that the census asks for your race because they have an ulterior motive for doing so. If I wanted change that would be the change I would seek.

One of the inaccuracies in the racial catagories on the census is that don't have a catagory for mullato or mestizo. Yet, they want to know if your ethnicity is Hispanic? WTH? I wonder why that is?

Old 07-26-2012, 12:36 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
You just don't get it, do you? I didn't pick the names of the catagories for races so why are you asking me about it? They are what they are.

I don't consider describing those who are mostly from African ancestry as black "racially" as being inaccurate. Brown is not anymore more accurate of a word to use to describe them "racially".

I don't like that the census asks for your race because they have an ulterior motive for doing so. If I wanted change that would be the change I would seek.

One of the inaccuracies in the racial catagories on the census is that don't have a catagory for mullato or mestizo. Yet, they want to know if your ethnicity is Hispanic? WTH? I wonder why that is?
I believe there was an 'other'. Why not a movement to be an 'other'? If you simply consider yourself human then it fits nicely. Of course they have ulterior motives. You don't have to cater to them.

I can think of a hundred things which define me far more than my pale skin. Including that meds left behind the sun sensitivity after quitting them and I get more than just a little sun and break out. That effects life far more.

What you enjoy, what you do for your job, the kinds of people (personality wise) you like to be with, the family you choose, how much or little you accept the idea of things like catagories and what you do about it defines anyone far far more than an purely judgemental label that the stat guys seem to be hung up on.

Not buying into it is the first step to getting past narrow catagories which keep humans beings apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies