Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 03:57 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What is wrong with calling yourself black if that is what you are racially? What is wrong with calling oneself white if racially that is what they are? African-American however denotes two different nationalities, not race.
So what? "White" and "black" are equally inaccurate. Few people are actually white or black; the vast majority are peach, brown, etc.

The bigger question, really, is what's wrong with calling yourself ANY of these things? I swear, it's as if victims create their monsters nowadays. Not offended? Build yourself a controversy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 04:06 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
So what? "White" and "black" are equally inaccurate. Few people are actually white or black; the vast majority are peach, brown, etc.

The bigger question, really, is what's wrong with calling yourself ANY of these things? I swear, it's as if victims create their monsters nowadays. Not offended? Build yourself a controversy!
Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Where did I mention skin color? I made it plain as day that I was talk about race. You know, genetics! It is accurate in talking about race that one is black, white or Asian, etc. Some are mixed, however. Just what is your problem? There is no Peach or Brown race, geez!

Old 07-24-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Where did I mention skin color? I made it plain as day that I was talk about race. You know, genetics! It is accurate in talking about race that one is black, white or Asian, etc. Some are mixed, however. Just what is your problem?
Again, so what? What makes one technically inaccurate label better than another? If someone who isn't actually black can call themselves black with no criticism, they should be able to call themselves African-American even if they're not by some technical standard African-American.

What's my problem? I would say that people who create problems where there originally are none would be "my problem". If this doesn't apply to you, fine. But the OP itself is all about people trying to stop someone from calling themselves African-American, a practice which harms absolutely no one.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:50 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Again, so what? What makes one technically inaccurate label better than another? If someone who isn't actually black can call themselves black with no criticism, they should be able to call themselves African-American even if they're not by some technical standard African-American.

What's my problem? I would say that people who create problems where there originally are none would be "my problem". If this doesn't apply to you, fine. But the OP itself is all about people trying to stop someone from calling themselves African-American, a practice which harms absolutely no one.
So the question can't be asked because it is inaccurate? How does that stop someone from doing it anyway? Bye. I don't like hostile people with a chip on their shoulder.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
So the question can't be asked because it is inaccurate? How does that stop someone from doing it anyway? Bye. I don't like hostile people with a chip on their shoulder.
What question are you referring to?

And I'm not being any more "hostile" than the people the OP's on about. Telling someone they shouldn't call themselves "African-American" is entirely unwarranted criticism. There's no harm whatsoever in it, so what does it matter to these people?

Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
I don't care what people call themselves... Anyone can call themselves the great and powerful OZ for all I care......

Old 07-24-2012, 07:28 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,542,987 times
some people need the world defined to make them feel better about themselves (or worse)

Old 07-24-2012, 07:33 PM

14 posts, read 10,519 times
Quote:
What is wrong with calling yourself black if that is what you are racially? What is wrong with calling oneself white if racially that is what they are? African-American however denotes two different nationalities, not race. I see the confusion still exists in this thread as to the difference between race and natonality.
African American depicts one nationality. African is not a nationality......

Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conway Stern View Post
African American depicts one nationality. African is not a nationality......

Neither is "Asian" yet I don't see people complaining about people referring to themselves as "Asian Americans"

Why are people just SOOOO darn obsessed with Black people?

Old 07-24-2012, 10:23 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
I think the best thing to do is let people call themselves whatever they want. Except this does not mean the individual has to accept what anyone else calls themselves. This includes the claim that this color or nationality give them any claim on guilt from someone else, or that they are superior in any way, or that anything is owed them for the percieved condition.

Treat everyone as humans. Look at how they act towards other human beings and apply the same standard to all. No pity party accomidations. No allowance for "the old days" however it goes, for guilt or privilidge. Just look a human being. Do they really want to achieve the goal? Do they put value in it? Will they put the work in, and have they shown any history of it? If the last two are 'no's' its a trial period and your out if you don't give your all. If the first is a question mark, the standard everyone achieves or goes applies absolutely.

Fair? Sure, since each of us is an individual and everyone has it in them or doesn't to rise for the occasion. This would not only give those 'minority' applicants the chance to prove they can, but screen out the 'usual' who aren't willing to. You either want it or you don't. In historical times when societys have seen the most growth and positive change, it has been just this standard which brought it about.

Ban the use of any term but your citizenship on forms. Be a nation/or greater of human beings. In the end the ones who want it enough will fight for it, and the ones who will settle for less will get less. But for those who need it make available to all, including those who didn't succeed or left early the first time through, a really effective education system using any and all methods since people learn in different ways. Involve parents heavily in their children's education as its made a partership. Part of school is the parent reading to young children, helping and learning along with children if they need to. No excuses like they don't have time. If you don't then don't have them.

Let *human* potential shine, not only for "color" or "race" but for those who are disabled, allowing ways to contribute if they can, and to the extent they can and for the duration they can. (Want to read about a lot of steriotypes, try being disabled)

Maybe then people can be scientists who have dark skin as an after thought, instead of Black Scientists. Socially if people want to group, let them. But my guess would be if we could let go of the lies of race and color and nationality making us different, we'd be more likely to seek out those with the same interests we had over looked the same, which is no measure of who anyone is and needs to go away.

Not likely to happen, but the good start would be removing that questions form forms and call everyone people. It shouldn't even *matter* what percentage any 'group' is since it stifles all of them as individuals.

Last edited by nightbird47; 07-24-2012 at 10:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies