Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 04:36 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,372,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Deal?

After reading innumerable threads and comments regarding racial self-identification, lack of assimilation, and screeds about multiculturalism I thought to myself why is it that I've never read a thread or comment advocating the ending of the classification referred to as white? I mean if African American is so offensive because of its alleged inaccuracy then why not do a way with the term white, after all, white people are exactly white or anything close to it. So, in the hopes of bringing about that much touted color blind society, I would like to make the following offer.

Do away with the idea or whiteness and I will stop identifying myself as an African American and ask others to do the same.

What do you think?
So...

I'm white.
You're black.

Why are you making such a big deal out of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 04:39 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,476,777 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjokTfY7LO4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErcGpnnA7y4

Old 07-17-2012, 04:50 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I'm not white...I'm more kind of pink-peach colored. I don't think I have ever seen a white person. the color of copy paper...
When the word white is used it is usually pertaining to race not skin color. Racially white people can vary from very light in skin color to a lot darker or as in your case pink-peach. Same with black people. They can be light skinned or very dark but when using the word black it is usually about race not skin color. Do you get my drift?

Old 07-17-2012, 05:18 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
You can label yourself any way you wish as long as you see the label as appropriate. I personally do not use African-American for three reasons: it assumes that all Africans are black and that all African culture is the same. This is definitely not the case. Are Libyans or Egyptians black? Nope. But they are definitely Africans. Do those from the Congo and Somali have the same culture? Nope. 2). Those who label themselves as African-Americans are generations deep in America. So they are simply Americans. Heck, most black Americans have an American lineage that runs deeper in America than most white Americans. 3). I have yet to meet an African-American who identifies with real African-Americans. This goes back to number 2.

There is a fourth reason, too: I cannot recall one black friend, acquaintance, or co-worker who labels themselves as African-American.

The purpose of the term was meant to imply not only the color of one's skin, but also the heritage and culture of that person. In a way, it was/is used to measure the degree of blackness of a person. And only serves to further divide. You are not truly black if you do not get with your roots. Really? A black person's skin tone is going to magically lighten?

Being "white" is not a cultural identity in itself as there is no real measure of whiteness. Some whites might accuse other whites of "being black", and others might accuse some whites as being uppity, but in general white people associate their identity to their own specific cultural upbringing and what can best be described as their own "situation" (Religion, economic, heritage, region, social, etc.) that shapes their identity. That is why the overwhelming amount of whites do not recognize, understand, or perhaps even accept the concept of "white privilege".

Being color-blind is a bad idea. A person's skin color is just as much a part of their identity as anything else. To not see a black man as black is to not acknowledge that he has his own set of struggles and triumphs associated with his race/ethnicity. Everyone should be evaluated by their individual strengths and weaknesses, and the color of a person's skin should not define who they are, but it is a part of their identity and should be accepted as such.

The only way to break down racial barriers is to recognize that people are different.
Yes, our origions do matter, to some at least. If I had the money to go there I'd love to see Scotland, since a disporporinat amount ulitmatly came from there. Alas, I don't but I also read about the huge struggles the Scots and Irish and poor English lived through, and at least one, likely others, came not of their free will. They got through all the crap and taught their kids to. That is what is important. So, yes, the past can be important. But is it any MORE important to one who is of African origion? I think not. What's important is how they made it through. Take strength from that but don't catagorize as race making us different.

Others have had times of struggle. It makes them like all other human beings. Individuals can deal with their own past as they choose, but taking from it that other individuals did not quit dreaming or trying is the best lesson. If they were being opressed, the people who opressed them are dead and gone so there is nobody to blame today.

And YES, evaluating others by their personal and individal strengths and weaknesses is the only way we ever get out of this self generating spin. I think many more of european ancestry are aware of it now, including the struggles, since it has become popular to know. Ancestry.com is huge and gobbling up smaller sites as an indication. We used to have this perception that knowing your past was only for those who had gentry in it, the rest didn't matter. Or just in case they weren't noble people best not to look. The myth was that this country was build on the happy willing labor of emmigrants. Except before 1776, most came with an indenture. You could pay the fare or someone paid for it and you worked it off, though there were catches nobody mentioned. That was whitewashed away even then. Hopefully it will be restored to our history so it will be balanced. Just as we came to acknowledge that Native Americans were given the short end of the rifle and slaves were not happy singing idiots. If we have a full and real history then everyone can claim their own if they choose. Or not.

Some don't want to identify. Some do. But in the end what matters is who an individual is.

Put a white, middle class person in a room. There are three choices on who they sit next to. One is a black gangster dressed type. One is a the poor country hick, maybe zoned on meth. One is a black middle class person. So who do they choose? Who has more in common with then NOW?

Odds are the person will not see a black person, but someone who sounds middle class, is dressed middle class and is as far away as they can be from the other two. Steriotypes, of course, but the point is we look for like. For most, skin color is the last like that matters.

So sure, retain that identity as 'black' and remember what it took, but don't make it the central identity where it is a great divide between you and anyone who isn't. It's a component, but it also shares much with other 'groups'. Maybe seeing that others have had struggles too and take them as part of themselves can unite us more than destroy us.

The past wasn't kind to many of us, unless we were on that top layer of gentry. Even then, it wasn't quite right to call it kind. The thing heritage should do is unite us in our appreciation of what it means to be human, and not one small variation of the genes. Skin color is only an adaptation to sunlight afterall.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:30 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
In actuality, MOST Black Americans have a great respect for Bill Cosby. If you actually knew any Black people (and it is quite obvious that you do not) you could actually have the discussion with them instead of imagining whatever it is that you choose to believe in your mind.
The ones who don't, which economic strata of black society do they come from?

Old 07-17-2012, 05:48 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Some U.S. citizens of Mexican descent still hold loyalties to Mexico and its citizens above their loyalty to this country. I can't help that you aren't aware of that fact. Your girlfriend as I said is only one person so you can't use her as an example of the entire thought process of the rest. She has her own views.
Oh, so now we're talking about "some" U.S. citizens of Mexican descent. Earlier, you said this:

Quote:
There is no reason for a person born in this country to call themselves Mexicans or Mexican-Americans since they are Americans by birth. It does indicate dual loyalty
A very different statement. Yes, I know that some U.S. citizens of Mexican descent hold loyalties to Mexico. But calling yourself a "Mexican" or "Mexican-American" does not necessarily indicate, well, ANYTHING. I know this personally because of my girlfriend (As I explained to you earlier, that's why I brought her up). Are we on the same page now?

Quote:
I am sorry for you that you think this country's borders are meaningless and that anyone and everyone should be allowed to cross them at will without permission of our government and that our citizens have no more of a right to be here than foreigners do. There is no "moral" right to come to any country only a legal right and that has to be obtained by permission.
I agree with the bolded. It's almost exactly what I said earlier, in fact.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:41 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,124,120 times
I'm white and an American. I'm not a European American.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:52 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Oh, so now we're talking about "some" U.S. citizens of Mexican descent. Earlier, you said this:

A very different statement. Yes, I know that some U.S. citizens of Mexican descent hold loyalties to Mexico. But calling yourself a "Mexican" or "Mexican-American" does not necessarily indicate, well, ANYTHING. I know this personally because of my girlfriend (As I explained to you earlier, that's why I brought her up). Are we on the same page now?

I agree with the bolded. It's almost exactly what I said earlier, in fact.
My earlier statement wasn't in conflict with my first one. "Some" meant that some Mexicans don't refer to themselves as Mexican-Americans and some do. I still say that those who do have dual loyalties. Your girlfriend might be the exception.

My biggest disagreement with you is this and these were your own words in regards to illegal immigrants...."But we do acknowledge how silly it is for us as legal American citizens to pretend we have more of a moral right to be here than them". I rest my case.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:56 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
Standing at a bus stop..I saw this young woman..I wondered to myself how she could handle the noon day sun- It was brutal. Her skin was a as white as snow...her hair was very light...I took a closer look and it was an albino black girl...Once she who is as white as snow stops calling herself black- I will stop calling myself white and might switch to pink... You have a very good point here on this thread...the other thing as far as racism- tell the black grandmothers and mothers to stop teaching their sons and daughters to be racists and hate whites...it is not doing them or us any good.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:01 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
NEVER played the video - was that Bill Cosby? -When he was in Toronto 35 years ago - I the white kid with the blonde hair sat down with Cosby and his guards...He assumed that a black Jazz club in Toronto was a black club - we do not have black clubs - He threatened to have his guys punch my lights out...because I was white...Cosby is a racist and has used white people all his life- he is not a nice guy,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies