Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 07:07 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
So...

I'm white.
You're black.

Why are you making such a big deal out of this?
I'm making a big deal out of this? The thread posted in response to the innumerable threads posted by Americans of European descent complaining, kvetching, ranting, or otherwise constantly bringing up the subject.

By the way, I am not black.

I am brown, more precisely a Pantone®730 Beige which translates into a RGB of 171 112 56 and a hexadecimal shade of #AB7038.

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 07:56 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,477,620 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKoU59VXMOM

Old 07-17-2012, 08:20 PM

652 posts, read 874,618 times
I have a friend from Nigeria who told me explicitly that black people in America are not African in any way. I agreed, pointing out that Africa has a different mother. Africans deserved much better lives than what they have been forced to live.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:00 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
My earlier statement wasn't in conflict with my first one. "Some" meant that some Mexicans don't refer to themselves as Mexican-Americans and some do. I still say that those who do have dual loyalties. Your girlfriend might be the exception.
Why would you make such an assumption? Is it just what you want to believe? I really think you should be careful what ideas you promote, lest you start a witch hunt for people based on nothing. "Mexican" is a pretty common term around here for Hispanics; it has nothing to do with one's feelings about Mexico.

Admit it, some of you are just bothered by trivial s***.

Quote:
"But we do acknowledge how silly it is for us as legal American citizens to pretend we have more of a moral right to be here than them". I rest my case.
What case? You even said yourself that there isn't a moral right for anyone to come to any country. I mean, what exactly are you disagreeing with and why?

Old 07-17-2012, 09:17 PM

62,975 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Why would you make such an assumption? Is it just what you want to believe? I really think you should be careful what ideas you promote, lest you start a witch hunt for people based on nothing. "Mexican" is a pretty common term around here for Hispanics; it has nothing to do with one's feelings about Mexico.

Admit it, some of you are just bothered by trivial s***.

What case? You even said yourself that there isn't a moral right for anyone to come to any country. I mean, what exactly are you disagreeing with and why?
Yes, that is what I said. You said the opposite and I quoted you on it? Now go away, you're bothering me.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:27 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,305,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post
I have a friend from Nigeria who told me explicitly that black people in America are not African in any way. I agreed, pointing out that Africa has a different mother. Africans deserved much better lives than what they have been forced to live.

Nobody deserves anything but a basic level of fair treatment, dignity, respect and not to have their human or civil rights violated.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:55 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Nobody deserves anything but a basic level of fair treatment, dignity, respect and not to have their human or civil rights violated.
I'd agree with that.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:56 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Quote:
Yes, that is what I said. You said the opposite and I quoted you on it?
Lol, you wanna tell me how the following sentences are opposites?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
But we do acknowledge how silly it is for us as legal American citizens to pretend we have more of a moral right to be here than them.
Quote:
There is no "moral" right to come to any country only a legal right and that has to be obtained by permission.
Seems like the same general idea to me.

Quote:
Now go away, you're bothering me.
No. But I imagine I am bothering you, by calling into question your baseless assumptions about people who dare call themselves something you don't think they should.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:47 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm making a big deal out of this? The thread posted in response to the innumerable threads posted by Americans of European descent complaining, kvetching, ranting, or otherwise constantly bringing up the subject.

By the way, I am not black.

I am brown, more precisely a Pantone®730 Beige which translates into a RGB of 171 112 56 and a hexadecimal shade of #AB7038.

Thank you very much.
I used to date a hexadecimal #AB7038. She really loved me and I should have married her..But as fate has it...a KX328 came along and stole her heart.

Seriously...would you consider the albino black girl I saw at the bus stop as white or black? I bet you there are some black fanatics who will say she is black.....if someone is one quarter black - and the rest white...they always say they are black....whey is that?

We had a few African woman hang out at our house a couple of years ago...They don't act like black people...They don't have an inferiority complex....They did mention that "tone" is important..the further down the scale you are ...the blacker you are.....why is that?

Old 07-18-2012, 12:07 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
I used to date a hexadecimal #AB7038. She really loved me and I should have married her..But as fate has it...a KX328 came along and stole her heart.

Seriously...would you consider the albino black girl I saw at the bus stop as white or black? I bet you there are some black fanatics who will say she is black.....if someone is one quarter black - and the rest white...they always say they are black....whey is that?

We had a few African woman hang out at our house a couple of years ago...They don't act like black people...They don't have an inferiority complex....They did mention that "tone" is important..the further down the scale you are ...the blacker you are.....why is that?
America has the legacy of the One Drop Rule.

For example, Halle Berry's daughter is 1/4 Black 3/4 White and Halle specifically refers to her daughter as Black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies