Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 11:56 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Deal?

After reading innumerable threads and comments regarding racial self-identification, lack of assimilation, and screeds about multiculturalism I thought to myself why is it that I've never read a thread or comment advocating the ending of the classification referred to as white? I mean if African American is so offensive because of its alleged inaccuracy then why not do a way with the term white, after all, white people are exactly white or anything close to it. So, in the hopes of bringing about that much touted color blind society, I would like to make the following offer.

Do away with the idea or whiteness and I will stop identifying myself as an African American and ask others to do the same.

What do you think?
The whole "Why don't African Americans just say they're American" thing is all about their "discomfort" with Blackness and how these "Black" people actually got to the shores of the Americas. They do not think of "Black" Americans as being like them but they also do not want "Black" Americans to be empowered by knowledge of our history.

The fact remains that dropping the "African" from African Americans would not erase the discrimination that African Americans face, there would just be a diminished capacity to accurately report it.

I notice that White people have no issues with the term Asian Americans, Native Americans, Hispanic Americans however the thought of "African Americans" sends them into convulsions of revulsion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 11:57 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The whole "Why don't African Americans just say they're American" thing is all about their "discomfort" with Blackness and how these "Black" people actually got to the shores of the Americas. They do not think of "Black" Americans as being like them but they also do not want "Black" Americans to be empowered by knowledge of our history.

The fact remains that dropping the "African" from African Americans would not erase the discrimination that African Americans face, there would just be a diminished capacity to accurately report it.

I notice that White people have no issues with the term Asian Americans, Native Americans, Hispanic Americans however the thought of "African Americans" sends them into convulsions of revulsion.
Please don't presume to speak to what white people think. You have no idea what we as white people go through on a day to day basis, or what we think.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Because it's a false identity with another nation. You are American, you live in this country. It's a matter of national identity, national pride, national unity. If you want to pretend your African, then drop the American handle. Pick one, unless you be a dual citizen.
Why would I want to say I am an Irish-American? I have no ties or allegiance to Ireland, it is not my identity.
You ARE Irish American even if you personally do not care to identify as such. Nothing can change that fact.

African Americans are treated differently based upon skin color and I think that it is beyond ignorant for people to act as if they do not recognize the "difference" especially when African Americans are treated differently because of that difference.

The day that 100% of White Americans have no problem with their daughters marrying and having children with an (African) American man will be the day that we drop the "African" from American.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:01 PM

912 posts, read 1,332,202 times
Your either an american or your not.Quit hypening your identity .If you want to identify with a country then move there.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:01 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Call me buddy.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Please don't presume to speak to what white people think. You have no idea what we as white people go through on a day to day basis, or what we think.
The burden of ALL of that White privilege must be so very taxing

When people like yourself stop telling me what Black people think then maybe I will change my statement.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:04 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I don't think you know the difference between nationality and ethnicity. Since when is African a race? Since when is American a race?
Never said African American was a race. I said African American was an ethnicity. You can rest assured that I know the difference. What I am not sure of is if you understand what I've been saying throughout this thread and many others.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
Your either an american or your not.Quit hypening your identity .If you want to identify with a country then move there.
FYI - Africa is a continent.

African Americans were denied the ability to retain the knowledge regarding our countries and tribes of origin by massa.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:05 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
You ARE Irish American even if you personally do not care to identify as such. Nothing can change that fact.

African Americans are treated differently based upon skin color and I think that it is beyond ignorant for people to act as if they do not recognize the "difference" especially when African Americans are treated differently because of that difference.

The day that 100% of White Americans have no problem with their daughters marrying and having children with an (African) American man will be the day that we drop the "African" from American.
Bingo.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:08 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
The burden of ALL of that White privilege must be so very taxing

When people like yourself stop telling me what Black people think then maybe I will change my statement.
When people like yourself stop acting like perpetual victims then maybe I will change my perception of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies