Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 02:09 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
bailouts include more than just TARP. We talked about this already. Not sure why you don't "get it."

the median earner benefits more from the banking bailouts than the wealthy? No. That is horsesh*t.
Get back to me when you have some references or statistics. And let me know if you want any advice on how to invest. Personally? I starting investing with money I saved as a waiter when I was 19. The wealthy pay more than their fair share of taxes right now, compared to everyone else. Anyone in the country can invest. Why aren't they? Strange...you still haven't answered that either.

Again, you use no numbers. It is easy to think you are right when you bypass facts, isn't it champ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 02:16 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,624,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Get back to me when you have some references or statistics.

I posted some in the last thread where we talked about this.

If I remember correctly, your argument was that the bailouts to Fannie and Freddie weren't "banking bailouts." I reject that argument, because banks are Fannie and Freddie's counterparties, and banks have been using Fannie and Freddie to dump their risk. That's where the discussion ended.

Quote:
And let me know if you want any advice on how to invest.
i'll let you know when i need investment advice from a kid in business school.

Quote:
Personally? I starting investing with money I saved as a waiter when I was 19.
yes, i can see that you're proud of yourself.
Quote:
The wealthy pay more than their fair share of taxes right now, compared to everyone else.
Warren Buffett's 15% capital gains rate is lower than what i pay on my wages.

Quote:
Anyone in the country can invest. Why aren't they? Strange...you still haven't answered that either.
it's a meaningless question.

just because anyone in this country can invest does not mean that we all benefit equally from the bank bailouts.

Quote:
Again, you use no numbers. It is easy to think you are right when you bypass facts, isn't it champ?
I'm not bothered by this, considering that you use inadequate numbers. Your link said:

Quote:
The government has earned $25.2 billion on its investment of $309 billion in banks and insurance companies
The government spent $580 billion, which is far more than $309 billion.

Furthermore, this does not even include the guarantees that were made, the accounting standards which were changed, or the trillions in short-term low-interest loans that were made.

Here is a slightly-more comprehensive view of the bailout costs:
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...t_Bailout_Cost
$4.76 TRILLION DISBURSED $13.87 TRILLION MAX. AT-RISK $1.54 TRILLION OUTSTANDING

I mean think about this for a minute. You seriously think the entire banking system was at risk of collapsing over $309 billion?

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 10-28-2011 at 02:38 PM..

Old 10-28-2011, 02:47 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
TBTF is not a free market

that's why people got pissed in the first place; these banks survived thanks to Fed money and the generosity of the American people, in suspending the free market to save these banks.

In return, they jack up their bonuses to executives, jack up their dividends to shareholders, and jack up the fees to joe sixpack who uses a debit card.
When you say, "these banks", which banks are you referring to?

Most banks did not need, nor did they want the 'bailout' money. They were forced to take it, and then they had to pay it back with interest.

And further, it had nothing to do with the generosity of the American people, who, if they had there way, would NEVER have agreed to this Obama administration scheme.

The debit card fee "jack up" as you put it, was as a direct result of an amendment inserted into the Frank-Dodd bill by Dick Durban, which robbed banks of some of their profit from fees charged to retail stores for card services (when consumers use a credit/debit card, a fee is charged to the merchant).

Banks have to earn their money somewhere. They cannot provide you with free checking and the many other free services that banks offer YOU if they aren't earning a profit from loans or merchant services. What world are you living in?

Lastly, shareholders are part owners in any business. They have invested their hard earned money and put it at risk (if the company doesn't make a profit, they may lose big). They expect and deserve a return on that investment.

Executives should get bonuses for their performance, or the performance of the company, and it isn't for the government, or you and me, to decide how much that should be. I don't care, if they are honest. They earn their money.

But, I suppose to you, profit is evil, right? Greedy?

Now get up off the grass and out of that park and go get a job, but you might take a shower and put on some clean clothes if you expect any business to give you the time of day.

The capitalist, free market system, is NOT greedy. Some people may be. But the system works, and it works well. It has made this country great, given us the highest standard of living of any country in the world, and people like Steve Jobs have given us some mighty fine products for their efforts; that is what they "give back" — their innovative ideas which you doubtless used to post your message.

Get a job, punk.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:52 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
TBTF is not a free market

that's why people got pissed in the first place; these banks survived thanks to Fed money and the generosity of the American people, in suspending the free market to save these banks.

In return, they jack up their bonuses to executives, jack up their dividends to shareholders, and jack up the fees to joe sixpack who uses a debit card.
And then the government tells them what prices they can charge.

Yes, it's not a free market. It's government controlled prices with government backed failures.

So the government has controlled prices, privatized the profits and socialized the risks.

You can't get any worse than that and the result is that consumers are screwed.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:55 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Some of you can complain all you want about OWS, the movement to move money to credit unions vs. banks, etc., but they bring attention to the issue and every day people respond. Public pressure did this. It works.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:56 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,962,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Get back to me when you have some references or statistics. And let me know if you want any advice on how to invest. Personally? I starting investing with money I saved as a waiter when I was 19. The wealthy pay more than their fair share of taxes right now, compared to everyone else. Anyone in the country can invest. Why aren't they? Strange...you still haven't answered that either.

You talk of "Fair Share" as if everyone is represented equally by our government, but that is not the case when the top 1% are revolving door politicians, or flat out own the government via bribes and donations.

Contributions to Obama
Goldman Sachs $1,013,091
JPMorgan Chase & Co $808,799
Citigroup Inc $736,771
Time Warner $624,618
Morgan Stanley $512,232

Contributions to McCain
Merrill Lynch $375,895
JPMorgan Chase & Co $343,505
Citigroup Inc $338,202
Morgan Stanley $271,902
Goldman Sachs $240,295
Credit Suisse Group $184,153
Bank of America $167,826
Lehman Brothers $126,557

Contributions to W Bush
Morgan Stanley $603,480
Merrill Lynch $586,254
Goldman Sachs $394,600
Lehman Brothers $361,525
Citigroup Inc $320,820
Bear Stearns $313,150
Bank of America $218,261

Here is a better idea:

Shrink the government to 10% of what it is today so the baby suckers can fail without a sugar daddy there to prop them up, or a big stick to go beat up on some other country to expand their market or financial influences through theft.

I'll bet your not for cutting taxes though, but just want others to pay for the ride the top 1% are enjoying at the expense of the rest of the country. You want to maintain the status quo at all costs.

Well, here's a reality check.
The status quo is not working any longer and its been rigged to blow up, on a slow but sure charge.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:19 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Consumers are the only regulation that is needed.

Consumers can make you rich and consumers can make you broke.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:21 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You see folks all of this bellyaching over debit card fees and many of the banks that were considering it have decided against it. Even B of A is scaling down the impact of the fees.

Yet the Dems and Obama lit in B of A and wanted to pass yet more legislation. Why don't Dems understand how markets work?

Big Banks Blink On Debit-Card Fees - WSJ.com
Too late. I left Citibank last week.

Next time, don't play chicken with my wallet. It will always win.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:43 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,399,335 times
There are only two emotions that drive corporations, Fear and Greed.
You are now witnessing the fear portion.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:48 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,932,094 times
There should be more regulation to protect consumers, the foxes are already guarding the chickens.

B of A was just using legislation as an excuse to raise fees. Instead of making money hand of first many, many, many times over, they can only make money hand over fist many times over now. What B of A never tells you is that even with legislation in place, they still make 19 cents per debit card transaction and rake in $3.3 billion per year in debit card transaction fees. B of A can go to hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies