Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the income disparity between the richest Americans and everyone else concern you?
Yes 49 55.68%
No 39 44.32%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 12:23 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post

I am, however, worried about crony capitalism. It was the Federal government and the Federal Reserve that bailed out Wall Street and the big banks. Blame crony capitalism NOT real capitalism.
Exactly! Capitalism implies a free market, where successful companies succeed and failing companies fail. What we have today is a Corporatocracy and it is destroying our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 12:36 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
The erosion of the middle class will lead to populist uprisings, and to some degree, anarchy. It is the most vital issue we face as a nation, and we may prove Russia right, while they failed to stay alive, in their belief we'd implode from within.

That is why I answered yes, unequivocally.

Had the Great Depression not happened, we were on our way to populist uprisings in the immediate preceding years. We experienced violence in NY during that time, and I'm not talking muggings.

Last edited by bobtn; 10-30-2011 at 12:56 PM..

Old 10-30-2011, 12:46 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,828 times
What concerns me even more than the difference in income between a CEO and a mailroom clerk is the fact that nearly 50% of those polled think it's not a problem............

We are SO screwed as a country. I'm gonna have to put away some wood and 4 wheels so I can build my trinket cart to feed my family with when we become full fledged 3rd world.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:00 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Interesting unspoken change is NOT so much CEO vs mailroom clerk. It is CEO vs the most senior Officer just under that spot. That is what exploded. They don't study it, but looking at financials which divulge all top exec salaries/bonuses, I doubt #2 to mailroom clerk ratio changed of any magnitude approaching CEO-clerk. Its CEO to #2 that exploded. Why? Are we now saying #2 is unprepared to be #1 - what if CEO dies?

Corps used to worry about the next round of leadership, they cultivated it. #2s today are Free Agents hoping to be CEO elsewhere.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:10 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,844,217 times
How many CEO's are there that make 10-20 million a year? A few hundred at best? Any corporation that pays that level of salary has thousands and thousands of employees. If you cut their salaries down and divy it up between the other workers, it would be a minimal change. Most of it would go to the higher level employees with education and in-demand job skills. The average "mail clerk" would see virtually no change. That is why this argument is basically pointless aside from an emotional standpoint.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:15 PM

97 posts, read 157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
What concerns me even more than the difference in income between a CEO and a mailroom clerk is the fact that nearly 50% of those polled think it's not a problem............

We are SO screwed as a country. I'm gonna have to put away some wood and 4 wheels so I can build my trinket cart to feed my family with when we become full fledged 3rd world.
Why would the income disparity harm our quality of life? It hasn't in the past:

Household income distribution:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...7-2003.svg.png
(the rich are getting richer)

International Human Development Indicators - UNDP
(our HDI did not fall as income inequality grew)

Old 10-30-2011, 01:16 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
How many CEO's are there that make 10-20 million a year? A few hundred at best? Any corporation that pays that level of salary has thousands and thousands of employees. If you cut their salaries down and divy it up between the other workers, it would be a minimal change. Most of it would go to the higher level employees with education and in-demand job skills. The average "mail clerk" would see virtually no change. That is why this argument is basically pointless aside from an emotional standpoint.
Salaries are just one tiny aspect-talking about CEO salaries is distracting. Most people in the super-rich class do not even have an annual income, or a job. All their money is made on capital gains. Pretty ironic how the 1%'s mindless sheep keep telling OWS to "get a job"

Paying 36.7% of the Income taxes when you control 42% of the wealth is pretty favorable.

Especially in light of the fact that only 17% of their income comes from wages to begin with. So many are misinformed. The majority of people that try to allign themseves with this elite group of people-the 1%-are simply mindless sheep needed to elect the right people.

News Headlines

Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power

Old 10-30-2011, 01:19 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninRebel View Post
Why would the income disparity harm our quality of life? It hasn't in the past:

Household income distribution:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...7-2003.svg.png
(the rich are getting richer)

International Human Development Indicators - UNDP
(our HDI did not fall as income inequality grew)
Uhhm, HELLLOOOOO. It has been harming your way of life for the last 40 years. The only difference today is it has reached a critical level. 30 years ago it was barely noticeable, and blamed on other things. Not to mention for the last 30 years it has been hidden with credit.

Wake up, before it's too late.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:21 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Does not concern me. There have always been extremely wealthy people throughout history- going back through the railroad founders, Orient merchants, royalty around the world, etc.

What is different now is the entitlement mentality that is like a cancer on this country. NO ONE OWES YOU A COMFORTABLE "MIDDLE CLASS" LIFESTYLE. Sorry. If you want to be appreciate of what even the poorest Americans have (A/C in the summer, clean drinking water, free education for all throug age 18, etc), go visit most other countries in the world (aside from nanny state Europe that is imploding, one by one, because they can't put the entitltemenfs they promised any longer). At least here, poor immigrants can still become middle class & even wealthy business owners. A child born into poverty can rise up. It's just not though the traditional ways (manufacturing) any more. Keep with the times and adapt.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:21 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,844,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Salaries don't mean anything-talking about CEO salaries is distracting. The super-rich make most of their money on the stock market.

Paying 36.7% of the Income taxes when you control 42% of the wealth is pretty favorable.

Especially in light of the fact that only 17% of their income comes from wages to begin with. So many are misinformed. The majority of people that try to allign themseves with this elite group of people-the 1%-are simply mindless sheep needed to elect the right people.

News Headlines

Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power
You are free to invest in the stock market as well, and at much more favorable income tax rate than the rich. You are not being impeded on making money just because someone else is making money. What is "simply mindless" is complaining rather than taking steps to improve your financial outlook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies