Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,127,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think you misinterpreted the OP. I could be wrong since I didn't read the whole thread. Even if you don't have electric heat, you can still loose your heat without power as without electricity the gas burner won't start. I assume that's what to him; that's what happened to me.
I don't think it matters either way. The complaint is about the power being out because of trees and a "greedy" CEO. While he may have legitimate complaint about the trees their is no reason for complaints about the cost of the power since it's one of the lower rates you're going to find anywhere. PPL could raise their rates and improve maintenance but I'm guessing that doens' appease the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 10:14 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,743,408 times
Some truth behind utility cost increases and deffered maintenance......
PJM has retired @ 8000 MW of generation assets and will retire another 3600mw soon.
http://www.pjm.com/planning/generati...tivations.ashx

http://www.pjm.com/planning/generati...-requests.ashx
That coupled with the high cost of wind within PJM has forced the rate increase and forced regular maintenance to be put on hold.....
PJM Imbalance Charges are Jeopardizing Wind Projects in the PJM Markets
PJM Hourly Load versus Wind | NoFreeWind - The Heavy Price We Pay for Windpower

http://www.pjm.com/documents/~/media...-cost-web.ashx

Cry all you want Utilities aren't makeing the money you think they are.....

Old 10-31-2011, 10:20 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,048,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
They can't, because they are facing too many new and expensive EPA regulations. Every coal-fired power plant will have to invest millions of dollars in new upgrades and even shut down power generation to meet cross state pollution laws.

In 2005 coal power plants had to install tens of millions on retrofits for scrubbing the soot and emissions, and now we have even more regs to comply with. 0bama was right, electricity rates will "necessarily skyrocket".

On July 6, 2011, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) finalized a rule that protects the health of millions of Americans by helping states reduce air pollution and attain clean air standards. This rule, known as the Cross-State Air Pollution Rule (CSAPR), requires 27 states to significantly improve air quality by reducing power plant emissions that contribute to ozone and/or fine particle pollution in other states.

Air Transport | US EPA

We have coal power plants being forced to shut down because of this one new EPA regulation, and there are about three more new regs this year alone.

Cross-State Air Pollution Rule Could Cause Power Shortages, ERCOT, Texas Agencies Warn :: POWER Magazine

We all want cleaner air, but why do this to ourselves during the worst economy since the Great Depression??

THis has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Distribution of Electricity, which is the issue being discussed in this thread.
Why needlessly make this a political issue?

Old 10-31-2011, 10:30 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,864,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
did you ever go for a walk in the woods, in winter and see all the branches that come down in the forests?
I live in the woods and I handle trimming trees that might affect our power lines.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:33 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,864,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
who said they weren't...and in my view, worth every freakin penny!
Chances are you didn't care about nor did you even think about those amazing linemen before your own electricity went out.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:34 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,227,845 times
Apparently Obama has adopted the old adage from the hey day of petro production...

'Let the bastards freeze in the dark'

Old 10-31-2011, 11:32 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,332,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
I was being sarcastic.
I know, but I was kidding....

Old 10-31-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Chances are you didn't care about nor did you even think about those amazing linemen before your own electricity went out.
sweetie, I used to work construction....believe it or not....
for 10 years...heavy and highway, I built roads....

Old 10-31-2011, 11:42 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,643,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
This storm brought down 20x more trees because it did come much earlier than most storm like it do. Why that effected it so much was 1) very heavy thick snow, and 2) there were still a lot of leaves on the trees, so the trees could hold much more thick heavy snow. This drastically increased the weight on branches and trees and brought more down then if it happened if the leaves would be all gone.
why it took this many posts for this crucial fact to be noted, i have no idea.

trim or no trim, you pile a bunch of snow on trees that are still leafed out, and many of them are going to come down.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
why it took this many posts for this crucial fact to be noted, i have no idea.

trim or no trim, you pile a bunch of snow on trees that are still leafed out, and many of them are going to come down.
first, let me say, love that name, uggabugga
second...this is partically right...even if the trees were leafed out...and most of them down here have lost all they're leaves accept the oaks...anyway, once again, if these trees were trimmed, we'd still have a lot less power outages...last winter we had all light snows...they were not heavy wet snows....however, if we had them, we'd still be plauged with tons of power outages....period....

PP& L came and only cut the part of the tree that broke and caused the transformer to blow...however, that same tree still has 4 - 5 branches hanging right over and next to wires, and they didn't touch them?????? So, common sense tells you, there is no common sense to this, wouldn't have taken them much longer to snap them off...and yet, next time, now that those tree limbs are weakened and bent, they will take down more lines...????? go figure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies