Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 01:47 PM

86 posts, read 123,979 times

Advertisements

somehow the idea of a supreme being having his son taking the form of flesh , get killed hanging on a tree, and then magically flying into the sky after 3 days is seen as sane and normal? What am I missing here?

Old 10-31-2011, 01:53 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,960 times
That's religious logic for you......I also love how all of these religions think some primitive humans on a small planet in a galaxy out of millions gave us the answer to life and all its mysteries from a book.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:55 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times
Exactly. They were raised around their own myths, so they find them "normal," while they find the myths of others absurd. It's all about upbringing. If you're raised around something, no matter how ridiculous, you'll find it normal.

Atheism is the only view that is based on rationality.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:08 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
I visited a beautiful structure (Lotus Temple) in New Delhi a few weeks ago. It is a Bahai Temple. At the basement, I saw a sign board that went something like this... Religion without Science is nothing but superstition. This applies equally to EVERY religion that emphasizes on mythical attributes over philosophical ones.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
how do you atheists decide that god does not exist? the passages in the bible, koran, and tora are more than 2000 years old. perhaps the people of that time were writing what they in fact witnessed.

when it comes to religion, there is a thing called faith. it is part of any religion, be it christian, judaism, islam, buddism, hinduism, or what ever. in fact even atheists have a faith of their own, the faith that there is no god.

i dont laugh at the 72 virgins claim of islam, i laugh at the claim that somehow killing innocent people while committing suicide will somehow gain them their 72 virgins because they martyred themselves for a cause.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:12 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Well, to start with the 72 virgin thing is not in the Koran. It was a story concocted by the Old Man of the Mountain to fortify his hashishians when he sent them out on suicide assassination missions.

It became part of Islamic lore however it does not hold the any religious weight. A closer comparison would be to some strange beliefs held by very minor groups of Christians.
Like the notion that God will change the fillings in your teeth to pure gold or something of that nature.

Most Christians scoff at such an idea. It is not biblical. The 72 virgin thing is not in the Koran. Most Christians and Muslims scoff at it.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:13 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I visited a beautiful structure (Lotus Temple) in New Delhi a few weeks ago. It is a Bahai Temple. At the basement, I saw a sign board that went something like this... Religion without Science is nothing but superstition. This applies equally to EVERY religion that emphasizes on mythical attributes over philosophical ones.
and that is something i can accept.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:22 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Exactly. They were raised around their own myths, so they find them "normal," while they find the myths of others absurd. It's all about upbringing. If you're raised around something, no matter how ridiculous, you'll find it normal.

Atheism is the only view that is based on rationality.
Given that we are merely shaved apes with little grasp of the workings of the universe....I'm going to reserve judgement before arrogantly stating that I've got it all figured out.

It's a big big universe out there and I'm not even talking about alternate dimensions and all of the things we cannot even perceive. You know, the stuff that defies rationality and that Einstein himself referred to as "voodoo".

While I may not agree with some of the specifics of religion, I find the arguments made by atheists to be no better in that by disproving or just mocking one groups cultural interpretations isn't proof there is no god.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:24 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Well, to start with the 72 virgin thing is not in the Koran. It was a story concocted by the Old Man of the Mountain to fortify his hashishians when he sent them out on suicide assassination missions.

It became part of Islamic lore however it does not hold the any religious weight. A closer comparison would be to some strange beliefs held by very minor groups of Christians.
Like the notion that God will change the fillings in your teeth to pure gold or something of that nature.

Most Christians scoff at such an idea. It is not biblical. The 72 virgin thing is not in the Koran. Most Christians and Muslims scoff at it.
Ah, but the atheists pushing their religion here said that they rationally look at things in coming to their decision and surely wouldn't make an irrational mistake like this in their rush to push their religion?

Old 10-31-2011, 02:26 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
how do you atheists decide that god does not exist?
Atheism is not the belief that god does not exist, it is the lack of belief that god does exist. I have not seen any evidence that gods exist, and until I do, I will continue to lack belief.

Quote:
the passages in the bible, koran, and tora are more than 2000 years old. perhaps the people of that time were writing what they in fact witnessed.
Slavery and child prostitution are over 2,000 years old as well. Does that mean that they should be kept around?

How long something has been around has no bearing on its truth or moral virtue.

Quote:
when it comes to religion, there is a thing called faith. it is part of any religion, be it christian, judaism, islam, buddism, hinduism, or what ever. in fact even atheists have a faith of their own, the faith that there is no god.
"Faith" is what non-religious people call delusion. Believing something without evidence to support it is irrational and delusional. I can't speak for all atheists, but I reject faith because it has no basis in reality.

Quote:
i dont laugh at the 72 virgins claim of islam, i laugh at the claim that somehow killing innocent people while committing suicide will somehow gain them their 72 virgins because they martyred themselves for a cause.
So do I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies