Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:26 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It seems all these legendary football coaches flame out at the end of their careers, e.g. Woody Hayes, Bear Bryant and now probably Joe Pa.
Here is what is puzzling me or the irony
Legions of fans wanted this coach to retire Paterno

He was stubborn and stayed in my eyes very selfish

This coach supposed legend has some serious skeletons hiding in his closet.

I have lost total respect for the Penn State Football program

What a bunch of freaks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 10:27 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Paterno may have done enough to aboid charges, but that's not nearly enough. This was a rape that he was told about that included the name of the rapist. The appropriate response is to make sure the police are notified. He knew enough to think he should tell someone, that means he knew enough to call the police.
No one knows exactly what Joe Paterno was told except for Paterno, McQueary and McQueary Sr.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:36 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sp...exit.html?_r=1

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Joe Paterno’s tenure as coach of the Penn State football team will soon be over, perhaps within days or weeks, in the wake of a sex-abuse scandal that has implicated university officials, according to two people briefed on conversations among the university’s top officials.

The board of trustees has yet to determine the precise timing of Paterno’s exit, but it is clear that the man who has more victories than any other coach at college football’s top level and who made Penn State a prestigious national brand will not survive to coach another season. Discussions about how to manage his departure have begun, according to the two people.

Paterno was to have held a news conference Tuesday but the university canceled it less than an hour before it was scheduled to start.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No one knows exactly what Joe Paterno was told except for Paterno, McQueary and McQueary Sr.
I clearly don't know exactly what he was told. I do know that he was told enough that he thought he should take action. Given his assessment of the situation, there is no excuse for not calling the police or social services.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:47 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
At the very least, Paterno knew McQueary saw something 'disturbing, inappropriate, fondling, something of a sexual nature.' Whether the specific words rape, anal sex or the like were used, we don't know.

Though Paterno wasn't officially in charge of the athletic dep't., he was the Man. He washed his hands of the incident, placing his pedophile buddy Sandusky, the University, and his own reputation above the past and future victims.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:55 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
At the very least, Paterno knew McQueary saw something 'disturbing, inappropriate, fondling, something of a sexual nature.' Whether the specific words rape, anal sex or the like were used, we don't know.

Though Paterno wasn't officially in charge of the athletic dep't., he was the Man. He washed his hands of the incident, placing his pedophile buddy Sandusky, the University, and his own reputation above the past and future victims.
We don't know if McQueary even told Paterno that much.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
We don't know if McQueary even told Paterno that much.
Paterno called a meeting. He knew enough that he should have wanted to make sure kids were safe. He also knew that Sandusky wasn't supposed to bring kids back on campus (which should be enough as well) and he allowed that to happen in 2007.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:07 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
renault, The RCC stuff is not a joke. Its an accurate portrayal of an inhumane institution regarding shielding child sexual predators. If that bugs, this born and raised RCC schooled man does not care. They have no excuse at all, as it was an intentional conspiracy done solely to aid their profitability, i.e. the amount they dupe folks into aiding and abetting them.

If anything, it unfairly maligns Penn State to be compared to the RCC. PS is not as systemic circumventing the law. Unlike the Midwestern bishop who signed legal documents which he violated inside of 6 months regarding alerting the police.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:10 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
Maybe the school should be renamed "PED State".

Old 11-08-2011, 11:15 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
The police don't have to investigate if they don't want to. Allegations are simply allegations. I'm just saying how the system works. If the victim wishes to file a report then they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Haven't seen any threads about this.

Can someone explain to me how an entire university's administration fails to get these allegations to the police?

Joe Paterno's legacy is toast. And yes I know I'm leaping to conclusions and we need to learn all the facts. That said, based on what we know now the whole story is just incredible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies