Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 06:23 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,945,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
these men who have sex with boys.. MOST of them are NOT attracted to ADULT MALES

and the EXPERTS have PROVEN this via research.

where's your research to assert your position?

oh, wait. research and using facts is .. liberal

as is knowledge, education basically reality itself is.. i guess. that's why you hate education
To assume attraction and control are the same issue is really ignorant. People dont prey on young boys (or girls) because of attraction. Its a power/control thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 06:27 AM

57,360 posts, read 26,276,409 times
I can't believe they are actually considering letting him coach this sunday, those students shouting support for Paterno are totally misguided, there are more important issues than a football coach's career.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:30 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,335,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
No way , Here you have a ONCE legend of the Grid Iron fall on his face.
There is not a chance in He** A great coach who makes game time decisions did not fully understand the consequences.

Or he did know the consequences and he rolled the dice.

I agree with alot the posters on many points.
It is just a story ripped right out of the WHAT book of life.

Very sad for the victims
Sad for the lives this story is going to touch.

Its also going to rip to shreds Joe Paterno for the whole career at PSU.

A gem of a program at one time and a leader who wanted to much to leave at the top.

All crumbled.
And to think of all the good this man coach did for Youth.
Its truly stranger than fiction.
Nobody is denying the horrific consequences for the victims. Nobody is arguing or debating that the decision to avoid confronting this situation head on and pursuing it until there was a definitive conclusion has had terrible consequences.

The questions that I was respond to and reflecting on were the ones that questioned the overall character of the institution and the individuals involved. I don't think Joe Pa is a bad guy; I think he's basically a good guy who unfortunately exercised terrible judgment. I don't think he did it to protect Sandusky; I think he did it because he knew it would be messy, and he had no idea what the consequences of opening this can of worms would be. I think he and other officials took the easy way out, which was the wrong move. I don't agree with what he did, but I understand how it happens, and being a football coach in no way prepares you to deal with this kind of stuff.

I do agree that there should be consequences. I don't see how this guy even thinks of coaching on Saturday. As I said, this program (and even all of the administration offices that handled this, including the presidential administration of the university. Everything needs to be cleaned out entirely. All of Joe Pa's coaching staff for sure, most of the PSU athletic department, and some of the PSU president's office. Not all at once, but within a year, there needs to be a completely different look at PSU. That's the best way to ensure a fresh start.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I can't believe they are actually considering letting him coach this sunday, those students shouting support for Paterno are totally misguided, there are more important issues than a football coach's career.
I agree. Paterno should have already coached his last game. Let an assistant take the team as far as it can go this year, but that should be the end of it for Joe Pa.

I think that he can come back in a year or two with some sort of honor ceremony, if wounds have healed by then and if he's still healthy enough to get around. But for right now, for the good of the institution and the community, he needs to step aside.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:42 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,125,629 times
I have news for you. More people are going to prison than Sandusky. These "men" were aware that this monster was screwing young boys as young as 10 frickin years old in the shower of the college. Would you let them off the hooK? seriously?

Old 11-09-2011, 07:44 AM

Here is the straight talk:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/op...t-penn.html?hp

Old 11-09-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Nobody is denying the horrific consequences for the victims. Nobody is arguing or debating that the decision to avoid confronting this situation head on and pursuing it until there was a definitive conclusion has had terrible consequences.

The questions that I was respond to and reflecting on were the ones that questioned the overall character of the institution and the individuals involved. I don't think Joe Pa is a bad guy; I think he's basically a good guy who unfortunately exercised terrible judgment. I don't think he did it to protect Sandusky; I think he did it because he knew it would be messy, and he had no idea what the consequences of opening this can of worms would be. I think he and other officials took the easy way out, which was the wrong move. I don't agree with what he did, but I understand how it happens, and being a football coach in no way prepares you to deal with this kind of stuff.

I do agree that there should be consequences. I don't see how this guy even thinks of coaching on Saturday. As I said, this program (and even all of the administration offices that handled this, including the presidential administration of the university. Everything needs to be cleaned out entirely. All of Joe Pa's coaching staff for sure, most of the PSU athletic department, and some of the PSU president's office. Not all at once, but within a year, there needs to be a completely different look at PSU. That's the best way to ensure a fresh start.

A fresh start? This college is decades away from that. There was a culture of silence one which was enforced by these monsters. It's so sweet to think that Joe just didn't want a messy situation. So pleasing. Send that to the parents of the boys who were naked in the shower takin' it from this pervert. Give me a break. Man up.

Bring justice onto these monsters.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:55 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,787,189 times
I knew just by reading the thread title that this would turn into a gay bashing thread.

Earth to the people who make such a stupid claim - the overwhelming majority of pedophiles, if they are regressed (have adult attractions too) are heterosexuals.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:02 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,335,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I can't believe they are actually considering letting him coach this sunday, those students shouting support for Paterno are totally misguided
Those little buckaroos were counseled to put it all behind them and move forward.

"On to victory"!

Old 11-09-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
A fresh start? This college is decades away from that. There was a culture of silence one which was enforced by these monsters. It's so sweet to think that Joe just didn't want a messy situation. So pleasing. Send that to the parents of the boys who were naked in the shower takin' it from this pervert. Give me a break. Man up.

Bring justice onto these monsters.
Take it easy. Breathe.

I'm not defending their behavior. They clearly fecked up. No debate.

But I see how it happens. Imagine if someone told you that your best friend for life had been seen doing something illegal or immoral. It's like when someone tells their best friend that their wife or husband is cheating on them, or that their brother was seen shoplifting, or something like that. I don't know about you but I'm guessing most people would be incredulous at first. Some people would choose to pursue it and see where it goes, knowing that regardless of the outcome, their relationship with their best comrade would almost surely end. Can most people do that? Can most people notify law enforcement and ask them to initiate a criminal investigation on one of their closest and most trusted friends, knowing that possibly it goes nowhere, and knowing that if nothing turns up, the friendship is over? Some can, sure. But I also see how some don't and just get so blindsided that they end up taking the easy way out.

None of that excuses anything. People still need to face whatever criminal charges are coming to them, and even if they don't face criminal charges, they still are understandably going to face the groundswell of anger from the general public, which is deserved. But I also see humans for who they are: basically good creatures who sometimes don't make the best decisions.

The best thing that can come from this process is the criminal prosecution of those who violated the law. But even more than that, I think the best thing that can come from this is a new set of procedures that ensure that this never happens again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies