Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:48 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Don't take this wrong since he says he wouldn't want it to apply to him and others who have served two terms. The biggest problem is that he wants the President to take some time off between his second and third term and to be re-elected before the third term. I guess he wants a full four years of rest for them.

I wonder how he plans to deal with the person elected between the two terms.

I also wonder if he thinks he can get a few more years in the White House with him being the first gentleman.

Bill Clinton Supports Three Terms for United States Presidents | Video | TheBlaze.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 02:53 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Clinton is in his third term right now. Just look at Obama's advisors.

FDR was a disaster and forced the term action limit to be taken.

The far left is exceedingly power hungry. What better way to stack SCOTUS than to stay in office 12 years?

Old 11-08-2011, 02:59 PM

400 posts, read 294,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Don't take this wrong since he says he wouldn't want it to apply to him and others who have served two terms. The biggest problem is that he wants the President to take some time off between his second and third term and to be re-elected before the third term. I guess he wants a full four years of rest for them.

I also wonder if he thinks he can get a few more years in the White House with him being the first gentleman.

Bill Clinton Supports Three Terms for United States Presidents | Video | TheBlaze.com
Old news - Clinton has said this long before now.

So has at least one other President, for that matter.
REAGAN WANTS END OF TWO-TERM LIMIT - NYTimes.com

The sort of alternate plan he's discussing is similar to some state gubernatorial systems. For example, in Virginia a Governor who serves a term is ineligible to be Governor for the next four years, then is eligible again. In 26 states, after two consecutive terms a Governor is similarly ineligible for the newt four years, then is eligible again. And in Montana and Wyoming, a person may serve as Governor for 8 out of every 16 years.

I wouldn't mind the system Clinton is proposing (or just repealing Presidential term limits altogether) but it isn't something I actively want to see done, either.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:01 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

FDR was a disaster and forced the term action limit to be taken.
Yeah, except FDR had been dead six years before the 22nd Amendment was ratified. Facts, how do they work?

If it weren't for the threat of dealing with a continually obstructionist Congress, it seems that a single six or seven year term would allow a President to implement their agenda while not being in constant campaign mode. Plus, we wouldn't be discussing Presidential election two years prior to the actual vote.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:02 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Clinton just wants a second chance at some White House interns, have you seen Hillary lately?

Old 11-08-2011, 03:03 PM

810 posts, read 837,302 times
I would rather have Clinton in the WH than Obama again.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:06 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:

He could beat everyone in the running right now without even spending a dime. LOL

Old 11-08-2011, 03:06 PM

400 posts, read 294,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Yeah, except FDR had been dead six years before the 22nd Amendment was ratified. Facts, how do they work?

If it weren't for the threat of dealing with a continually obstructionist Congress, it seems that a single six or seven year term would allow a President to implement their agenda while not being in constant campaign mode. Plus, we wouldn't be discussing Presidential election two years prior to the actual vote.
I like the single, six-year plan.

On the other hand, it would cause strange side-effects with Senate elections. 2/3rds of states would have one Senate seat permanently aligned with Presidential elections, and the coattails inherent therein, while 1/3 of states would have no such alignment. That would be odd.

How about:
*Presidents limited to a single, six-year term
*Congressional elections every three years, with three-year terms for House members and one Senate seat per state permanently aligned with Presidential elections, the other permanently aligned with mid-term elections

Just a thought...

Old 11-08-2011, 03:09 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,575 times
Quote:

The bad side of this is it can allow for even greater corruption, and possibly motivation for electoral fraud.

Now here's the plus side.

I don't know about you, but I've NEVER been comfortable with a 2-term president. I've always worried about the guy who has "nothing to lose". What if we got rid of term limits, but changed the terms to 2 years instead of 4? I'd love that. LOVE

Nothing beats true motivation to succeed. I think 4 years is WAY too long considering how fast things move these days, and a 2nd term without the hope of reelection is just not a good position for US.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:12 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Yeah, except FDR had been dead six years before the 22nd Amendment was ratified. Facts, how do they work? .......
Cause and effect. It took time for the 22nd Amendment to be ratified (the country was fighting WWII) but FDR's 4 term (elected not completed) Presidency and the imbalance of power he pushed was the inspiration behind the limitation. Our founders never intended anyone to be POTUS for life.

I suspect you may have been a victim of revisionist history that you did not learn this in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies