Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
No, it isn't.
Nothing of substance
Quote:
Yes, it does.
Nothing of substance
Quote:
That's because a land trust is not a corporation.
Land Trusts still file taxes and even if they were corporations it wouldnt change a dam thing. Stock holders are OWNERS. Did you fail entry level business classes?
Quote:
Right, because the land trust is not a corporation, you pay personal taxes on it.
No you dont.. You dont pay personal taxes until AFTER it leaves the trust. The Trust FIRST pays income taxes just like corporations do.
Quote:
That's because you sold it, and have to pay capital gains on your gains. This is not a double tax.
I dont need to sell it to be liable for capital gains.. The INCOME is double taxed, first at the trust level and THEN under my tax returns. BOTH times its MY MONEY!!! Its DOUBLE TAXED.

Get a clue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 10:18 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
You are missing the scope of the topic. I will be more clear and succinct. The Republican party caters to the very wealthy. The Democrat party attempts to cater to the middle class and the poor. Each parties policies reflect, which demographic that they cater to. The republican's tax plans are heavily slanted to favor the rich. Do you dispute that?
I do. Look at all the hundreds of billions 0bama gives away to the wealthy corporations. 0bama is the king of cronyism, and he definitely caters to the wealthy.

The dems don't cater to the poor, they play class warfare and pander to the poor. "Looky, looky, I have sweetmeats for you, vote for me or you won't get anymore". Every election the dems pander to the poor and elderly, fear mongering the lies that the mean repubs will take away their social security and Medicare, while at the same time the dems pass legislation that will take $500 billion out of Medicare.

The conservative republicans only look like they cater to the rich because they don't play the class warfare game, or fear monger by pitting one American against the other. I do admit that some of the neocons pander like the dems do.

The dems have perfected the game of treating multiple groups of Americans as the poor, dysfunctional, simple-minded waifs, while they stroke their heads and say "There, there, you poor, little thing, let me comfort you with these sweetmeats." Meanwhile, the conservative republican aren't out there pandering to all these same groups, and the dems make them out to be evil, uncaring ogres for not pandering like they do.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:24 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Land Trusts still file taxes and even if they were corporations it wouldnt change a dam thing.
It wouldn't change a thing, other than whether your argument made sense or not.

Quote:
Stock holders are OWNERS.
Owners of a corporation, which is why they are not being double taxed; they are not the corporation itself.

Quote:
No you dont.. You dont pay personal taxes until AFTER it leaves the trust. The Trust FIRST pays income taxes just like corporations do.
Net income is taxed either to the trust or to the beneficiaries, depending upon the trust terms, local law and, in the cases of complex trusts, whether the trust distributed the income.

Quote:
I dont need to sell it to be liable for capital gains
Yes you do. Capital gains are, by definition, gains from selling your holdings. They don't assess capital gains on that which was not a capital gain.

Quote:
.. The INCOME is double taxed
Income from a trust is not synonymous with a capital gain.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:32 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
since you are stuck on 'captial gains' why not tax capital gains at the prime lending rate

right now my 'capital gains' treasury bills are earning about a 1/4 percent...yet I have to pay 15%....that is government theft

Old 11-09-2011, 10:40 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
It wouldn't change a thing, other than whether your argument made sense or not.
Now you arent making any sense at all. I said your example wouldnt change a thing and you argued with me, now you are admitting I was correct.
Quote:
Owners of a corporation, which is why they are not being double taxed; they are not the corporation itself.
Money going into a corporation IS THE OWNERS money. Do you not understand that? The fact that its a different entity doesnt change who the money belongs to.. For god sakes no one can be this ignorant..

If you own a corporation and die, that corporation is an asset of yours and passes to your estate because its YOURS.. it doesnt sit out in la la land just running itself
Quote:
Net income is taxed either to the trust or to the beneficiaries, depending upon the trust terms, local law and, in the cases of complex trusts, whether the trust distributed the income.
No its not otherwise people could keep money in a trust and avoid inheritance taxes which they cant. At some point the money leaves the trust ont the owners/beneficiaries and is TAXED. If the trust makes a profit its taxed, then when its distributed to the owners, the very people that own the trust, its TAXED AGAIN. THATS DOUBLE TAXED.
Quote:
Yes you do. Capital gains are, by definition, gains from selling your holdings. They don't assess capital gains on that which was not a capital gain.
Not necessarily, when you move assets you own to trusts they arent sold, they are simply transferr of ownership title. Furthermore, since 2003 long term stock dividends are taxed at capital gains rates without the need to sell the stock. There are lots of examples of capital gains paid without selling.
Quote:
Income from a trust is not synonymous with a capital gain.
Trusts are created to hold assets and assets cant be bought unless you have some sort of income which was taxed.

Last edited by pghquest; 11-09-2011 at 10:48 AM..

Old 11-09-2011, 10:52 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Money going into a corporation IS THE OWNERS money.
And once it arrives, it is the corporation's money.

Quote:
The fact that its a different entity doesnt change who the money belongs to.
Actually, the fact that it now belongs to a different entity DOES change who the money belongs to. You gave the company your cash, in exchange for a share of ownership in the company.

It's not a savings account, it's an investment.

Quote:
If you own a corporation and die, that corporation is an asset of yours
No it isn't. The shares of ownership of the corporation are assets of yours. Legally the corporation itself isn't YOU, and never will be, even if you own all of its shares.

If you don't like this fact, then don't participate in the ownership of corporations and avoid it altogether.

Quote:
No its not otherwise people could keep money in a trust and avoid inheritance taxes which they cant.
An inheritor doesn't pay inheritance taxes on the net income of a trust.

Quote:
At some point the money leaves the trust ont the owners/beneficiaries and is TAXED.
It can, yes.

Quote:
If the trust makes a profit its taxed, then when its distributed to the owners, the very people that own the trust, its TAXED AGAIN. THATS DOUBLE TAXED.
In your example, if the trust and the individual are two different entities, then it is not double taxation, because two different entities are paying the taxes.

If the trust is in the name of an individual, then there is no tax payed upon distribution because there is no distribution.

Quote:
Not necessarily, when you move assets you own to trusts they arent sold, they are simply transferr of ownership title.
Transfer of ownership is the same thing as selling.

Quote:
Trusts are created to hold assets and assets cant be bought unless you have some sort of income which was taxed.
that's correct, Like I said: you are taxed on the income which you earned. You buy an asset. The asset goes up in value, and when you sell it, you are taxed on the gain.

That's not a double taxation, because the income you earned (or money you stole, or inherited, or whatever) to buy the asset are not the same funds as the gains you made after the sale.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 11-09-2011 at 11:15 AM..

Old 11-09-2011, 03:59 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
Actually the Democrats are the party of the rich. The richest voting districts donate the most money to the Dems. Those in the highest income bracket voted for Obama in 2008. Blue states are wealthier than red states. Wall Street donated tons of money to the Dems. Democrats represent the rich (as well as government employees/union members), Republicans are the party of the middle class.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:15 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,372 times
What I learned by reading this thread is that I don't think a single poster actually took the time to read the OP's Rolling Stone article. That's a shame because the article is a really fascinating read. Instead everybody just descended to their prepackaged talking points of partisans making lame partisan statements more meant for bumper stickers than anything resembling a thoughtful debate. I don't think any poster in here did more than read the title of the thread, and maybe the one paragraph quoted in the OP. Arguing over an article without actually reading is foolish at the best of times.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:19 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
So for the people who say taxes should go up, are you willing to see the child tax credit go back down to $500?

Old 11-21-2011, 06:22 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Actually the Democrats are the party of the rich. The richest voting districts donate the most money to the Dems. Those in the highest income bracket voted for Obama in 2008. Blue states are wealthier than red states. Wall Street donated tons of money to the Dems. Democrats represent the rich (as well as government employees/union members), Republicans are the party of the middle class.
And yet it's the Democratic Party which does not hesitate to call for the richest Americans to pay their fair share...it appears they operate out of principle rather than pandering to their constituency, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies