Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 09:53 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Since Liberals espouse more regulations on humans everyday ... how much more freedom do they want?

If Liberals want more freedom, why don't they get their fingers out of everybody's life?

What drives someone to BECOME a liberal?
Originality, which this thread seems to lack since it is just a takeoff on the other thread.

Please try to have an original thought. If you did, you may understand why people are liberals, because that is the basis of liberalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 09:57 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Most conservatives just have this blind faith that if you get rid of the government, everything will just turn out peachy.
No they don't, although that myth is very commonly repeated by liberals. Conservatives don't want no government - that would be the anarchists - Conservatives want a much smaller, more responsible, less intrusive, government than we currently have.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:06 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Speaking for myself, it is because I am a Christian who truly tries to follow the teachings of Christ. In the eyes of many, that makes me a liberal.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:10 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
I am mostly liberal but I don't feel a kinship with other liberals and I definitely find the conservative definition of liberal to be laughable. Conservatives do not understand liberals at all and practically every attempt at defining them ends up being something that could not survive outside the womb or came back through the Star Trek "beamer" all put together wrong (I think that happened in the first Star Trek movie).

In any case, I am this way because I care about the people around me and I don't have an issue with absorbing some of the cost of repairing our society. I see government not as an enemy but as something I have the power to mold, something I have a say in even if it's small and feels meaningless much of the time. There is no other institution which gives me that voice. Other than the power of my voice to influence others, and the strength of my body, my power rests with my fellow citizens in the form of government.

But there are limits. My education didn't teach me about federal budgets or social programs. Taxes were regarded as a necessary evil. If I make enough money to survive on what's left in my paycheck, what importance does the missing portion have if I don't see or hear that it's being wasted. Ah, but it is being wasted. My government uses the military to protect itself, not me or my fellow citizens. It involves itself in wars to protect corporate interests and passes the bill onto the people. So even though the Constitutional role of government is to protect us, it is lying to us with every dollar it spends. So I oppose war because there is so much profit in it...and so much death, destruction, and waste.

Even though I get depressed, all I have to do is go to Walmart to see hundreds of people more desperate than me. I see the most pitiful people using coupons on the cheapest items because that's all they can afford. I think we can do better and the free market that robbed these people of their intrinsic value and middle class incomes is NOT where I will turn for a solution. Government, flawed as it is, and as corporately dominated as it has become, is still the only way I can influence their situation as well as mine.

I do view the government as dangerous because it has used us as guinea pigs in military experiments, its bombards us with electromagnetic warfare and influences us in ways that weaken us. But I still harbor the sentiment that I matter and I can influence this whole country by example, by voting for people I can trust (a rare commodity), and by using my noggin to creatively come up with unique solutions.

I won't become a conservative for the simple reason that I can't follow their line of reasoning. Government is not the enemy because it belongs to us. The Constitution is not the will of God, I don't like guns, I will not tell a woman what to do with her body or tell two people of the same sex they can't have equality. I won't barge into people's bedrooms. I won't budget for wars when there are far more constructive and immediate needs to fill. I WILL demand a balanced budget, a fair form of taxation, and demand that health care become a right instead of a privilege.

This mostly liberal wants the best for my country and I will be hard pressed to change into anything different.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:25 PM

242 posts, read 235,646 times
wanting handouts

Old 11-12-2011, 10:27 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
.......... What drives someone to BECOME a liberal?
moral relativism

Old 11-12-2011, 11:03 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Higher intelligence, compassion for those less fortunate, desire for equality for everyone and high standard of living for more than a tiny fraction of the population, etc.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
moral relativism
Morality is relative. Is that a bad thing?

Old 11-12-2011, 11:05 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Morality is relative. Is that a bad thing?
Is it?

Old 11-12-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
No they don't, although that myth is very commonly repeated by liberals. Conservatives don't want no government - that would be the anarchists - Conservatives want a much smaller, more responsible, less intrusive, government than we currently have.
Unless it involves social issues like abortion and gays, and then they want the government to invade everyone's private life to enforce their morality on the rest of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies