Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 05:48 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,487,092 times

Advertisements

Since Liberals espouse more regulations on humans everyday ... how much more freedom do they want?

If Liberals want more freedom, why don't they get their fingers out of everybody's life?

What drives someone to BECOME a liberal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 05:49 PM

7,816 posts, read 6,402,176 times
Self-loathing, guilt, lack of survival instincts or ability.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:52 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,204,841 times
Which do you think is worse, "Liberals" and "Big Government" trying to regulate your daily life and babysit you, or "Conservatives" and "Small Governments" trying to regulate your morality?

Old 11-12-2011, 05:53 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,393,804 times
I'll speak for myself.

Since I was young, I always had something of an attachment to liberalism. I feel that people have an obligation to give back to society, and that as John F Kennedy said, "A rising tide lifts all boats."

I believe that personal responsibility, individual freedom, and social equality of opportunity are not incompatible with each other. Rather, when applied correctly, they enhance each other.

Regarding the two parties, I know what the Republican Party stands for, and I agree with some of what they say, actually. But as far as what they do, their actions, I just cannot in good conscience support that.

The Democrats are far, far from perfect, but I do feel they are the better of the two parties, overall.

Does that answer your question?

Old 11-12-2011, 05:58 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,989,934 times
Great thread.

In regard to young people in particular, politics have become much like pop culture and being liberal has become trendy. We all know how persuasive and adamant liberals are and that has become a form of peer pressure bestowed upon young people. Many young folks have become liberal, or political at all, as a social catalyst, a way to fit in, and as a sense of identity.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:07 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,784,683 times
Because I care about my country and our citizens. That's why I'm a liberal.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:08 PM

242 posts, read 236,006 times
laziness

Old 11-12-2011, 06:12 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
when a GOP president debts 6 trillion just like a democrat
also when he launched an invasion against a non hostile country under false pretenses.
what i didnt know is that his oval office replacement, a demo, would do the same thing.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:31 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,775,353 times
I think it is , due to education or experience, an ability to look beyond one's self to the larger elements of a just society, and the longer term trajectories of different actions. Social justice, public education and health care, national parks and protected areas, decent air and water quality, recognition that we share our planet with billions of people and millions of species that are affected by our choices, are all realizations that demand action. Hard work and achievement are great, but they ring hollow when the larger society and ecosystems are being destroyed. A vision of the future and a sense of justice and proportion.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:33 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,989,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
I'll speak for myself.

Since I was young, I always had something of an attachment to liberalism. I feel that people have an obligation to give back to society....
Sounds good, I agree, but why does this have to be achieved through the government? No faith? No faith in humanity? No faith in Americans? It seems to be people in all facets of society give back to society. Not just rich giving massive amounts to charity, medical research, etc. But regular people volunteering. The Salvation Army, Catholic charities, and many many other organizations, many Christian, do wonders in our society. Why is it popular for liberals to be anti-Christian when Christians give back to society in such big ways?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies