Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 10:14 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,648,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So if someone can't afford the copay for their child, or themselves, should the be denied care?

Ronald Reagan and most people disagree with you.

Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its part of the reason we have the pickle of a problem with healthcare that we do. Mandated care, with no way to pay for it.
I'm quite familiar with EMTALA, and it's part of the problem. People can afford a 20 dollar copy to see a doctor in the ER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 10:15 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,925,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Something needs to be done about the unprecedented amount of people who abuse the emergency room, and come into the country exclusively for "free" care in our ERs.
Remember when we used to do things like turn away Jews fleeing Nazi Germany, now we let everyone in; total 180.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:16 AM

24,171 posts, read 15,251,211 times
If the Federal Government demands ER care to anyone who enters, somebody has to pay for it.

Everything I have read informs me that governments, local, state and federal already pick up the tab for 60% of the care already. Business for employees, 20%. We are only short 20%.

The price increases reflects what insurance companies are getting.

We just need to figure out how to come up with the additional 20%.

I would not mind seeing the insurance industry folks in the unemployment line.

My only requirement would be US citizens only.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:16 AM

7,083 posts, read 12,086,397 times
That doesn't make any sense in the least. Yes, taxation on private insurers would go away...but hospitals, clinics, medical equipment research/manufacturing, pharmaceutical employees, salaries of employees (and doctors) would all still be there and not be tax exempt.

For that number to even be remotely true everything that is involved in the medical industry would have to become tax exempt...and I would like to see where in the world this happens (outside of figments of imagination).

Old 11-16-2011, 10:17 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,964,742 times
OP - As you must realize I am way left of liberal and I do not support ANY of your list. I do support a Universal Health Care system that ELIMINATES AS MUCH PRIVATE SECTOR ADMINISTRATIVE AND PROFIT as possible. The rest can be paid for with savings from reducing our military adventures.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:17 AM

13,731 posts, read 9,069,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Something needs to be done about the unprecedented amount of people who abuse the emergency room, and come into the country exclusively for "free" care in our ERs.

Darn right. As for Americans who abuse the system, make 'em buy their own insurance. If they still refuse, no tax refunds for them.

The illegals? I guess we need a act of Congress, signed by the President, giving emergency rooms the right to deny medical treatment to 'illegals'.

However, I know that if my heart stopped beating, and I was rushed to the emergency room, I don't want them denying me service due to my note having my ID with me.

There are issues within issues, followed by more issues. Beware of those who suggest simple answers ("let the free market decide!") for they have not thought anything through.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:19 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,925,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
That doesn't make any sense in the least. Yes, taxation on private insurers would go away...but hospitals, clinics, medical equipment research/manufacturing, pharmaceutical employees, salaries of employees (and doctors) would all still be there and not be tax exempt.

For that number to even be remotely true everything that is involved in the medical industry would have to become tax exempt...and I would like to see where in the world this happens (outside of figments of imagination).
You're butt-hurt because I was able to give you facts that health care is 16% of GDP. You were trying to be smug now. But don't let facts get in the way. Please find a better number: by all means.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:20 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,371,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Why so many people want to continue providing 'free' health care to a bunch of uninsured people is beyond me. I want them to pay.

I am a true Conservative. I do not want to pay for uninsured people's health care.
Are you sure you understand how insurance works?

The whole idea of insurance is paying for other people's health care

Old 11-16-2011, 10:22 AM

417 posts, read 366,824 times
The only way we can pay for all this is to make a stand... And by that I mean we need to congregate together in a public park in some city in some state, and indefinitely occupy it with flamboyant signs and slogans.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:23 AM

7,083 posts, read 12,086,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
You're butt-hurt because I was able to give you facts that health care is 16% of GDP. You were trying to be smug now. But don't let facts get in the way. Please find a better number: by all means.
No, your number doesn't support anything besides the fact you don't know anything about economics or taxation.

If you want negative proof about your postulation, that X is true because there is no proof that X is false, then I ask for you to disprove my Invisible Pink Unicorn first. Once some one does, I'll provide all the negative proof people want on all their crazy theories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies