Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 03:56 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How about your experiences?
I'm well experience and qualified. I don't like to get personal here so I'll leave it out.

As others have pointed out, you're wrong so I'm not going to waste my breath here.

Let's get back on topic about capital gains tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 07:23 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
We cut taxes and government spending by 40 percent over a two year period starting from 1920. Unemployment went from 12 percent to under 4.

You were saying?
First, where did you get you unemployment figures, because there were no official figures back then?
According to wiki, two different economists estimate as follows:

Unemployment rate
Year Lebergott Romer
1919 1.4% 3.0%
1920 5.2% 5.2%
1921 11.7% 8.7%
1922 6.7 6.9%
1923 2.4 4.8%

Instead of unemployment going from 12% to 4%, unemployment soared, from 1.4% - 11.7% or 3% - 8.7%, depending upon the economist's estimate.

Second, according to the NBER, the 1920 recession started in January 1920 and ended in July 1921. The tax-cuts you mentioned didn't happen until 1922 (for upper-brackets) and 1923 (for lower brackets.) Those tax-cuts were after the recession already ended. You are misrepresenting cause and effect. How could the tax cuts be responsible for ending the recession when the cuts happened after the recession ended?

Third, let's look at government spending:

You claim that cutting government spending helped unemployment. I already showed that your basic facts were false but let's see the spending picture anyway. According to Government Spending Details: Federal State Local for 1919 - Charts the following was the federal spending in the marked years:

Total/Defense Only $bil.)
1919 18.9/11.3
1920 6.6/2.6
1921 5.5/2.1
1922 3.8/1.3
1923 3.7/1.3

As one can see, World War I was over and government spending dropped from $18.9 bil. to $6.6 bil. from 1919 to 1920. That's what caused the recession and high unemployment. But it sure doesn't show that cutting government spending improved the economy; it shows the exact opposite. Yet, the Harding Admin. continued to cut spending and taxes. If your theory, namely, tax-cuts and government spending cuts are good, then why did another recession occur within three years? If your theory was correct, there should have been a long run of prosperity. But what we find is that from the end of the 1920 recession until the start of the Great Depression, a third of the time were recessionary -- and usually followed tax-cuts. That's hardly a ringing endorsement of their policies.

If anything, a revue of this period supports the Keynesian models -- cutting spending hurt jobs and the economy.

Last edited by MTAtech; 11-20-2011 at 07:56 PM..

Old 11-20-2011, 07:53 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
For the middle class investors, capital gains will be lowered to 10%, the rich will have their capital gains raised to 50%. Thoughts?
How about we just move it back to 28% for the top brackets as it was under Reagan?

Old 11-20-2011, 07:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How about we just move it back to 28% for the top brackets as it was under Reagan?
Or just bump it to 20% flat.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:26 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Every sound buss decision is based on risk vs reward. When ya take away most of the reward , no one is willing to take the risk.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:29 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
Quote:
You didnt for a second ever think that wage taxes are TOO HIGH, did you?
I have, I brought this up on multiple occasions. In fact I've asked you directly why we don't reduce wage taxes, but you don't respond.

the (D)'s tried to reduce wage taxes, but the (R)'s shot that down. I even made a thread about it.

The GOP will raise taxes — on the middle class and working poor

Obama’s Payroll Tax-Cut Plan Criticized by U.S. House Republican Leaders

Old 11-21-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Let's say we are going to build a $37 million dollar facility.

That means that we will have to have made roughly $52 million'ish to do that.

At current rates, 15%, we would only need slightly above $43 million'ish.

You see how that would hamper growth?
Yes I do see how that would hamper growth. That is the nature of taxes.

Your story could also apply to someone without any investments, trying to save up start a business by working a job, and is paying high rates of payroll / income taxes. Wage taxes are impairing his/her ability to save excess capital, with which to invest and create jobs.

The fact is , you're just talking about the earnings of richer folks vs. poorer folks. Us Po' Folk who earn wages for a living are just as likely to invest and create jobs as someone who made their money off the growth in their existing assets.

It's all built sort of an insulting, horse-sh*t premise to begin with, to suggest that some rich guy knows how to better invest his capital gains income, than I know how to invest my wage income.

Quote:
You do expect us to get a ROI, right? You do understand building that facility (or property or whatever else) will employ lots of people and operating it will require lots of contractors, right?

Now a 0% capital gains tax rate would mean we would only need dollar for dollar to continue our growth and continue to build more and more facilities and employ more and more contractors and employees.
Sure, a 0% capital gains tax would mean that the folks who already have capital would be able to build their facility more quickly.

However, it comes at the expense of the folks who have no capital, who may be trying to build something too, and are being forced to shoulder the tax burden instead. It works directly (as a tax), and also indirectly as an economic distortion (this capital gains tax preference draws more capital into assets, making them more expensive.)

In other words, it impairs income mobility by favoring the people who already have assets.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 11-21-2011 at 05:48 AM..

Old 11-21-2011, 05:51 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
I have, I brought this up on multiple occasions. In fact I've asked you directly why we don't reduce wage taxes, but you don't respond.

the (D)'s tried to reduce wage taxes, but the (R)'s shot that down. I even made a thread about it.

The GOP will raise taxes — on the middle class and working poor

Obama’s Payroll Tax-Cut Plan Criticized by U.S. House Republican Leaders
The hypocracy of you guys on the left is astounding... Let me see if I get this straight

You think the Bush tax cuts raised the deficits, even though it increased revenues, but you think cutting the payroll tax doesnt increase the national debt?

Tell me how a reduction in payroll taxes encourage economic growth and why you support that one, but not cutting income taxes?

Oh, and try not to respond with "Democrats proposed it so its good, GOP proposal = bad"..

Old 11-21-2011, 05:53 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm well experience and qualified. I don't like to get personal here so I'll leave it out.

As others have pointed out, you're wrong so I'm not going to waste my breath here.

Let's get back on topic about capital gains tax.
Luckily for me, my tax liabiltiies arent open to "public polls".. Just because others dont know crap about the american tax code system, doesnt mean those who do, are wrong.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
You think the Bush tax cuts raised the deficits
correct.

Quote:
even though it increased revenues
Bush tax cuts didn't increase tax revenues. Increased tax revenues over that period were due to lending $1.5 trillion / year in mortgages to anyone rumored to have a pulse.

Quote:
but you think cutting the payroll tax doesnt increase the national debt?
No, I didn't say that. I just think the Bush tax cuts make the tax system less equitable, and the payroll tax cuts make the tax system more equitable.

Quote:
Tell me how a reduction in payroll taxes encourage economic growth and why you support that one, but not cutting income taxes?
Bush tax cuts included capital gains cuts. Payroll tax cuts did not.

Given that half of all capital gains go to the top 0.1% of the nation, I'd say this policy of lowering cap gains rates below that of wages is just a giveaway to the rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies