Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 01:11 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,980,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
There's certainly a difference between a child acting up and the parent not being able to control the situation due to the logistics of an airplane and a child acting up and a parent passively letting the behavior continue.

I imagine it's the latter that most people have a problem with.
Yes. If it 'takes a village' to rear their child then they should not mind when strangers discipline the little darling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Not really sure what that is suppose to mean.
Case, in point.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
Margrrerite,

You make very good points but you are arguing with bigots who have no ability to reason with rationality
They are predictably selfish and it drives their bigotry against children as they have to accommodation to anyone. Their refrain is to complain with petty grievances that display how dark and painful their existence is in. Some people just do not like kids, fine, then don't go to places where there are people you don't like. When you talk about banning them, you sound just like like bigots who don't want certain ethnicity in their store. Major airlines won't force African american families to sit in the back if they don't' want to. This would be a dreamy civil rights case, and it would win. . This would be no differences to Montgomery Alabama in the 50s. the bus thought they could do this and eventually it ended.
Yes. Children ARE people. That's just my point. THey should be managed to behave as people do and not little obnoxious animals that are always accustomed to getting and doing just as they want.

There should be penalties for bad behavior: talking loud, banging into other people's seats, running up and down aisles, spitting up food, etc. For everyone. You make my point.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:25 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,786,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
My question for the folks here is do you know why small childern tend to be loud on planes? The answer is because generally speaking their ear drums pop during take off and landing due to pressure changes. It is horribly painful, in fact when it happened to me, back when I was a kid on a flight in the 1980s, it was some of the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced.

No amount of discipline will get a small child to shut up when they are in that kind of pain I don't care who you are or in which era you were raised. I would wager though that the people complaining about lazy parents and discipline problems have never deal with a small child whose eardrums have ruptured on a flight.
If you read the thread from the beginning people GET AND UNDERSTAND the problem/pain children have with take off and landing. Adults sit chewing on gum in diminish the ear popping, unfortunately babies in particular can't do that and even toddlers suffer from the pressure - all very understandable. By reading through the thread YOU will understand the issues have to do with what takes place after take off and before landing where pressure isn't a factor.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think we live in a more selfish era where any sleight, perceived or real, is taken as an utmost offense and violation of one's rights.

Children misbehave and sometimes, no matter what the parents do, the kids just won't listen or calm down. That's life.
Ahhhhh, now we are getting somewhere.

There is a difference between a parent who makes an effort and have and would try to help that parent and child. Sometimes a stranger can distract a child quicker than a parent. It's the parent who makes no effort at all who chooses to ignore their child/ren and lets them do as they please.

I think even you are seeing that it is up to the parent. Progress at last.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:17 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Ahhhhh, now we are getting somewhere.

There is a difference between a parent who makes an effort and have and would try to help that parent and child. Sometimes a stranger can distract a child quicker than a parent. It's the parent who makes no effort at all who chooses to ignore their child/ren and lets them do as they please.

I think even you are seeing that it is up to the parent. Progress at last.
Stop patting yourself on the back.

Trust me, you haven't changed my mind on anything.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Stop patting yourself on the back.

Trust me, you haven't changed my mind on anything.
Actually it was a pat on your back to give you a bit of credit. I guess I should have aimed higher and harder.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:37 PM

I had the pleasant experience of dining out with my husband the other day and a couple with two little children got seated near us.

The little boy was around 5 and the girl, younger. Both managed to get through the meal quietly and talk in their indoor voices. No thumping of chairs with our little feet, either. Just perfect little kids. Oh, no sign of bruising that I could see, either. It was obvious that the parents spent quality time with the kids, by the way everyone was talking at that table.

I have to congratulate good parents everywhere. It's not an easy job, but the rest of the world sure does appreciate it.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:37 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Actually it was a pat on your back to give you a bit of credit. I guess I should have aimed higher and harder.
Or not at all.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Or not at all.
I would consider it an achievement as I'm not good landing a direct hit with small targets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies