Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 02:07 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times

Advertisements

Public prefers cutting defense spending: Reuters/Ipsos poll | Reuters

By Donna Smith
WASHINGTON | Wed Mar 9, 2011 2:47pm EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A majority of Americans prefer cutting defense spending to reduce the federal deficit rather than taking money from public retirement and health programs, a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Wednesday showed.
The poll found 51 percent of Americans support reducing defense spending, and only 28 percent want to cut Medicare and Medicaid health programs for the elderly and poor. A mere 18 percent back cuts in the Social Security retirement program.

Social Security

Americans Look to Wealthy to Help Save Social Security

So why all the fuss? It looks like the voters are pretty clear to me.

Cut defense, don't change medicare, don't cut social security, and tax the rich more to pay for everything else.

Why can't congress agree?

Old 11-22-2011, 02:09 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,228 times
Just curious, how old are you?

Old 11-22-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Just curious, how old are you?
Mid 30's, and I have a UMC job, and pay more then the poor do in taxes. I also pay a higher percent in taxes then hedge fund managers.

I'm where most of America is, how old do you think they are?

Save social security, save medicare, don't change them. Cut defense and raise taxes on the rich to pay for it.

Is that not what the majority of Americans are saying? Should they not have their voice heard? Are we no longer a representative democracy?

Old 11-22-2011, 02:13 PM

So in theory you are actualy wealthy. Do you feel your taxes should go up?
BTW , I think cutting defense spending is a no brainer

Old 11-22-2011, 02:16 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Because America no longer has accurate representation. Between the talking heads and monopolistic pattern of MSM, the infiltration of our Government by International Bankers, Lobbyists and Corporations and The Federal Reserve which is the real driving force of power in our country, we have become a Corporatocracy.

Look at what Bush said he would do before he was elected, than look at what he did. Look at what Obama said he would do before he was elected, than look at what he did and is doing. The same policies are in place and have been since Ronald Reagan.

There is a hidden branch of power that is calling the shots and we are stupid for not noticing the pattern earlier of the endless and expensive wars, the overstatement of the threat of terror, the corrupt and secretive Federal Reserve, corporations and lobbyists having major influence over politicians, Federal Government controlling the economy and industries instead of letting them grow organically, a Federal Government that is more powerful, freedom-infringing and wasteful every day. Wake up America!

Old 11-22-2011, 02:17 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:
How do you figure he is wealthy?

Old 11-22-2011, 02:17 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
I'm in my 30s, have an income close to top 5% (not there right now), and trust me, I won't feel the pinch of my income taxes going up by 4-5%. This country could use that more than I need to.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:18 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Public prefers cutting defense spending: Reuters/Ipsos poll | Reuters

By Donna Smith
WASHINGTON | Wed Mar 9, 2011 2:47pm EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A majority of Americans prefer cutting defense spending to reduce the federal deficit rather than taking money from public retirement and health programs, a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Wednesday showed.
The poll found 51 percent of Americans support reducing defense spending, and only 28 percent want to cut Medicare and Medicaid health programs for the elderly and poor. A mere 18 percent back cuts in the Social Security retirement program.

Social Security

Americans Look to Wealthy to Help Save Social Security

So why all the fuss? It looks like the voters are pretty clear to me.

Cut defense, don't change medicare, don't cut social security, and tax the rich more to pay for everything else.

I am very happy with these poll numbers. It means that Americans are not buying the propaganda that we hear on CD every single day.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
How do you figure he is wealthy?
He says he pays a higher % then headge fund managers. They average about 27% . If he is paying more then that he is making around $220,000 or more.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:

Republicans don't, and Democrats can't cut their pet projects either.

As I said, the American public is clear. Save social security and medicare, cut defense, and for all thats left over, raise the taxes on the rich.

Actually I personally think that anyones taxes have to go up, but I think loopholes, credits, and subsidies should be cut.

I think if you make the tax code flatter, with few if any loopholes, and decrease military spending while going through each spending program to prioritize them, we can balance the budget with few if any tax hikes.

But Americans don't care about that. The rules Congress is being told to play by are

Save social security, save medicare, cut defense, and raise taxes on the wealthy to make up the differnce.

And yes, I donate regularly to charity, and I do real well for myself and my family. But since I'm paying a higher percentage on my income then wall street bankers are, then I'm slightly peeved about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies