Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:24 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
OK - Thanks for nothing - movin' on since you choose not to explain...
Extreme thinking needs no explanation.

Quote:
Republicans in the super committee offered a tax increase, but it was rejected - FYI.
OMG, they uttered "tax increase" (perspective/details be damned... republicans don't care for those anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Of course its incorrect. Without knowing what one payed in state taxes , prop taxes , mort interest , child care ect , one could not possibly do anything but guess.
Don't worry about other taxes. How did you do the math?

Old 11-22-2011, 03:25 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,115 times
Quote:
Republicans in the super committee offered a tax increase, but it was rejected - FYI.
They were trying to tax single mothers in low paying jobs, grandmas, disabled veterans, etc., right? Go where the big money is and spare their wealthy constituents from having to pay a dime more than the lowest tax rates since Eisenhower.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:25 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,112 times
I paid $19,861 in taxes last yr. Tell me how much I made. Ya cant , because its not enough information to do so.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:26 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,028 times
Just to make my comment on the OP: " cut defense, save medicare and social security......." This part of the formula a person would have to be actively evil, a sociopath, or a complete fool to disagree with. I can sort of see how wealthy people would be so greedy as not to want a tax increase, but considering that the US outspends the next 20 countries COMBINED on our military budget, and considering that the wars overseas are of no use except to "defense" contractors like Halliburton, you would have to be far worse than greedy to support that while whittling down Medicare.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I paid $19,861 in taxes last yr. Tell me how much I made. Ya cant , because its not enough information to do so.
Show me the math. Not yours, but your computation of federal income tax under Clinton rates for $300K.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:27 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,021,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
When did the war in Germany and Japan end?

A chart of world wide military spending by country shows that Europe and our allies have decreased their military spending year over year, since the end of the cold war.

We account for 43% of all world wide military spending, the next highest contributor is China, at 7%.

We give 1 billion dollars a year to the Egyptian military to keep them from invading Israel. Congress can't even agree on 1.2 billion in cuts.

People aren't stupid, they know where we are bloated. Spend that money at home, on roads if you want to create jobs. But on foreign aid, which is essentially what our military spending is, foreign aid, and bring that money home.

Close all over seas bases, they are our allies right? Shouldn't they be able to keep bases up to date so we can borrow them when needed?

The people have spoken, and if congress doesn't listen they are in trouble. End defense spending that is useless and foreign aid, keep social security and medicare untouched, and raise taxes on the wealthy.
But this is what I was talking about with the law of unintended consequences. Let's say we just cut defense spending. There's more to it than that. You really need to also cut the missions that the military must support. But just cutting spending has nothing to do with that. What we should be concentrating on is cutting the treaties that say we provide military support to country X, Y, and Z. We should be cutting the AORs the military must cover. It follows, once those are cut, the spending necessary to maintain our military will be less. By just cutting spending, as has been done in the past, we are fundamentally asking our military to support the same ops tempo but with less personnel, less equipment, and less support.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:28 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Quote:

I paid in well more then you did, with a family of 4.

Its not about how much you pay in taxes, or how much I pay in taxes.

Americans demand government programs, and demand cuts in bloated defense spending. Make up the rest by repealing the Bush tax cuts on the wealthy at least, everyone would be fair.

But neither side can even agree on that.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:29 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,112 times
Why would I know. Ive never made $300. And if I did what are the deuctions? A man making 300K living in a ranch in georgia with no kids is paying a lot more then a man living in metro Boston making 300K with 6 kids in a $850,000 house.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:30 PM

306 posts, read 218,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Public prefers cutting defense spending: Reuters/Ipsos poll | Reuters

By Donna Smith
WASHINGTON | Wed Mar 9, 2011 2:47pm EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A majority of Americans prefer cutting defense spending to reduce the federal deficit rather than taking money from public retirement and health programs, a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Wednesday showed.
The poll found 51 percent of Americans support reducing defense spending, and only 28 percent want to cut Medicare and Medicaid health programs for the elderly and poor. A mere 18 percent back cuts in the Social Security retirement program.

Social Security

Americans Look to Wealthy to Help Save Social Security

So why all the fuss? It looks like the voters are pretty clear to me.

Cut defense, don't change medicare, don't cut social security, and tax the rich more to pay for everything else.

Why can't congress agree?

Oh.that...doctored ..."poll" again...

Where mostly poor people are asked if they want to pay more.
or the rich should pay more...
They are not mazochists,they don't go against their interest...

This "poll" shows the way the public opinion is manipulated...

"Tell me the replies u want,to ask the appropriate questions "...

So,plz don't bust our nerves with those..."polls"...

Old 11-22-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Why would I know. Ive never made $300. And if I did what are the deuctions? A man making 300K living in a ranch in georgia with no kids is paying a lot more then a man living in metro Boston making 300K with 6 kids in a $850,000 house.
I'm looking for difference, impact. Pick one that is convenient. Don't tell me you would advise someone into luxury to buy a cheaper house or have fewer kids. Leave that for another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies