Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 05:25 AM

932 posts, read 1,178,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Silly question ? But, can't you work an extra job for the 9 months to take care of that one issue?
Yep, there you have it...the American solution for everything. Why not get 3 jobs? Why not even 4? Work until you croak!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 08:41 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,846,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The opportunity is there for the poor. It's up to them to take advantage of it.
One cannot be handed wealth; they must work for it and earn it themselves.
Read this book and then get back to us.

Quote:
Millions of Americans work for poverty-level wages, and one day Barbara Ehrenreich decided to join them. She was inspired in part by the rhetoric surrounding welfare reform, which promised that any job equals a better life. But how can anyone survive, let alone prosper, on $6 to $7 an hour? To find out, Ehrenreich moved from Florida to Maine to Minnesota, taking the cheapest lodgings available and accepting work as a waitress, hotel maid, house cleaner, nursing-home aide, and Wal-Mart salesperson. She soon discovered that even the "lowliest" occupations require exhausting mental and physical efforts. And one job is not enough; you need at least two if you intend to live indoors.

Nickel and Dimed reveals low-wage America in all its tenacity, anxiety, and surprising generosity -- a land of Big Boxes, fast food, and a thousand desperate strategies for survival. Instantly acclaimed for its insight, humor, and passion, this book is changing the way America perceives its working poor.
http://www.amazon.com/Nickel-Dimed-N.../dp/0805063897

Old 11-28-2011, 09:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Yep, there you have it...the American solution for everything. Why not get 3 jobs? Why not even 4? Work until you croak!
Or live like the beloved illegals and have 3 or 4 families sharing one house, or 14 men sleeping on a slum apartment floor.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:32 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,224,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Oh, I forgot.Having a job and a half or two jobs for even a short period of time (less than a year, in this case) is not the American way.

Wish someone had told me this years ago when I held two jobs for awhile, rather than rely on somebody else to take care of me.
I may have learned how to become government dependent so I could whine and cry about how I could never get anywhere or have all that leisure to waste on fun things that didn't bring in one cent but kept me poor..

Old 11-28-2011, 10:35 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,611,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
actually, cell phones are cheaper than home phones........and how do you put a contact number on that resume without a phone.......plus most employers that decide to call you want you NOW..........or they move down the list and scratch you off.......
lol that some Americans post a cell is expensive u can get throwaway phones for 40.00 at any supermarket now.

Some landlines are 2-300 a month at times- just google Centurylink/embarq and see how outrageous the taxes -federal taxes and state- just for the "privilige" of owning a stupid landline landlines are going the way of the ancient hardrware of desktop computers......

Old 11-28-2011, 10:39 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,611,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
mmmmmmmmmm,then that guy I saw yesterday,by the on ramp,holding that sign saying "please help,hungry" was just a coverup?It had to be VERY uncomfortable to stand there in the rain holding that sign........
ft lauderdale looks like a third world nation with people begging for jobs and food...statistically they cant all be addicts who "chose that way of life".....plus now there are MANY homeless children.......

Old 11-28-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Oh, I forgot.Having a job and a half or two jobs for even a short period of time (less than a year, in this case) is not the American way.

Wish someone had told me this years ago when I held two jobs for awhile, rather than rely on somebody else to take care of me.
I may have learned how to become government dependent so I could whine and cry about how I could never get anywhere or have all that leisure to waste on fun things that didn't bring in one cent but kept me poor..
How about working one honest job full time and being able to get by.

If you want companies to continue to pay slave wages while the CEOs and management live in extreme wealth, you should be happy with the present circumstances. Find another job or two! Have a good life!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Well hang on in there. The OWS crowd wants to make $115K per year the MINIMUM salary.
It's in there list of demands.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well hang on in there. The OWS crowd wants to make $115K per year the MINIMUM salary.
It's in there list of demands.

Minimum wage for 26,000 years
Quote:
Here's another way to think about these enormous pay packages. Becoming a millionaire will probably only ever be a distant dream for the average American. But for these two CEOs, it was a dream that came true every single day last year, when each of them pulled in more than $1.1 million a day, before taxes. This assumes they worked all weekdays and took little vacation time -- as you might expect from a busy CEO.
Quote:
When you consider what people unfortunate enough to be at the bottom of the pay pyramid make. Americans earning the federal minimum wage of $5.15 an hour would have to work 26,100 years to make what Fairbank brought home last year.
What a huge CEO salary would buy you - MSN Money

Old 11-28-2011, 08:52 PM

89,069 posts, read 44,906,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
So what's the solution to this problem?
Stop paying low-/no income people to breed.

Those who receive public assistance have 3 times the birth rate of everyone else. The welfare-dependent class is growing exponentially, 3 times the rate of those who have to pay to support them.
Quote:
"The 1996 Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA) gave states greater flexibility to formulate and implement initiatives to reduce welfare dependency and encourage employment for members of low-income families with children. For the nation, in 2006, 10 years after passage of the Act, the birth rate for women 15 to 50 years old receiving public assistance income in the last 12 months was 155 births per 1,000 women, about three times the rate for women not receiving public assistance (53 births per 1,000 women)."
http://www.census.gov/prod/2008pubs/p20-558.pdf

And very similar stats in the 2010 release:
Quote:
"For the nation, the birth rate for women receiving public assistance was 160 births per 1,000 women, almost three times the rate for women not receiving public assistance (56 births per 1,000 women)."
http://www.census.gov/prod/2010pubs/p20-563.pdf

Who thinks that's sustainable? Who thinks taxpayers will be able to afford to keep paying more and more to financially support an exponentially growing welfare-dependent class? Who thinks the problems associated with poverty will be solved by paying for and therefore encouraging the exponential growth of the welfare-dependent class?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies