Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 10:23 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The opportunity is there for the poor. It's up to them to take advantage of it.
One cannot be handed wealth; they must work for it and earn it themselves.

<scratching head> I have no marketable skills and can't afford to go to school to acquire skills. Please explain how "the opportunity is there".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
i specifically referring to education. k-12 is available to everyone. Even some states offer free college tution based on maintaining a certain GPA

Whoopee, K-12 is available to everyone and I graduated with 3.9 GPA. Now I am unemployed with no job prospects. Employers aren't exactly jumping through hoops to recruit high school graduates.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
<scratching head> I have no marketable skills and can't afford to go to school to acquire skills. Please explain how "the opportunity is there".
There will always be those that fall through the cracks if they let themselves.
Apply for a student loan; one can get up to $5500 the first semester with no income restrictions.

Fill out that FAFSA form as it costs you nothing.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
There was a study done on what the poor have and most own their own home, have electronics, full kitchens, cell phones, etc.

The study was done by the Census Bureau.
How Poor Are America's Poor? Examining the "Plague" of Poverty in America

The government definition of poverty is badly flawed and Heritage is fully aware of the many flaws.

The government definition of poverty is based on (pre-tax) ANNUAL CASH INCOME. Assets are completely irrelevant, so poor people can inherit anything - even money, since inherited money is not income - and still be poor. Poor people can also own anything if they were able to buy it at some time in the past when they were not poor.

Which means that the government thinks Donald Trump is poor in years he files bankruptcy.

Which means it's entirely possible for millions of "poor" people to own a home since the ability to own a home does not require a non-poor income. (Most "poor" homeowners do not have a mortgage, which makes owning a home cheaper than rent.) The ability to BUY a home DOES require a non-poor income, and poor people do not buy homes.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:58 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
Quote:
Not really since the consensus in this forum agrees that playing by the rules, staying in school, and working hard is NOT a guarantee of success.
Lets face it some people will just never make anything out of their lives.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:25 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
The Heritage Foundation - a conservative think tank. I know the data is from the US Census Bureau, but they are picking out certain parts of the survey and interpreting it to bolster their own theories.

I have many problems with the findings of the survey. Firstly, comparing the US poor to the poor people in European countries isn't a good comparison. More poor people own cars here because having a car is a necessity in most US cities, whereas in other countries, you could get by without one as mass transit is more extensive. As for housing space, that's bigger over here too, but bigger doesn't mean better.

Electronics are dirt cheap today. This isn't the 80's or the 90's, where such items would cost an arm and a leg. Also, owning a mobile phone has almost become a necessity, especially if you're job hunting.

The poor in the US are worse off than most other developed countries, IMO (because that's what we should be comparing). This is mainly because they don't have access to affordable (or free) healthcare, they are less likely to clim the social mobility ladder and often live in dangerous areas, in terms of crime. Add to that, they are chastised and blamed for all of their problems by the bad decision police and society in general, even if they are "working poor".

"Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman is not only a great song, but it tells a story of how it is to be poor and stuck in the poverty cycle in this country.
well said. I never realized a microwave was supposed to be a sign of success. lol

Old 11-27-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
There will always be those that fall through the cracks if they let themselves.
Apply for a student loan; one can get up to $5500 the first semester with no income restrictions.

Fill out that FAFSA form as it costs you nothing.

I am ineligible for financial aid, so filling out the FAFSA would be a complete waste of time and effort. I am one of those evil student loan defaulters Reagan warned you about. I am paying almost 10 percent of my poverty level income, but that is not sufficient to get my loans out of default. (I would have to double that payment for nine consecutive months to get out of default, and that's not going to happen until either income or expenses improve. Funny that if I were not in default, I could qualify for an "affordable payment" program with a monthly payment of zero based on my income.)

Also, the government takes 20% of each payment off the top as a collection fee before applying anything to interest or principal. I have paid over $2,000 in these fees, which is why I am making very little progress paying down the balance.

The government prefers that borrowers default since they make much more money in the long run.

Last edited by freemkt; 11-27-2011 at 03:02 PM..

Old 11-27-2011, 02:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
I am ineligible for financial aid, so filling out the FAFSA would be a complete waste of time and effort.
What makes you ineligible for financial aid ?
They have both subsidized and unsubsidized loans that do not take income into account.

When you fill out the FAFSA the results tell you what you are eligible for.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:03 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
seems like an ongoing issue here. Not sure but trolling against govt loans perhaps?. Where are the rest of posters here....

Old 11-27-2011, 03:09 PM

bb
Quote:
What makes you ineligible for financial aid ?
They have both subsidized and unsubsidized loans that do not take income into account.

When you fill out the FAFSA the results tell you what you are eligible for.
I am one of those evil student loan defaulters Reagan warned you about. I am paying almost 10 percent of my poverty level income, but that is not sufficient to get my loans out of default. (I would have to double that payment for nine consecutive months to get out of default, and that's not going to happen until either income or expenses improve. Funny that if I were not in default, I could qualify for an "affordable payment" program with a monthly payment of zero based on my income.)

For people with student loans in default - regardless of income - they have zilch, zero, nada.

How much of a poverty level income is a reasonable and affordable payment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies