Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2011, 01:11 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,508,466 times

Advertisements

Amazon and e-readers have "taken" customers from local book stores. Yet, no one makes up lies about them. Or tries to blame them for destroying jobs. I bet Amazon even sells stuff made in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 01:14 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Kroger is the countries largest grocery chain. And union.

Wal Mart did not force anyone in your town to shop there. Nobody. Therefore they did not put anyone out of business. It is impossible for one company to put another out of business. Impossible.

Who went out of business when KMart came to town? They weren't always there? Why do you shop there? KMart was the largest retailer at one time. Why don't you have a problem with them? I sure they have "put" others out of business.

WalMart is successful at attracting customers. These other places are not. Someday another company will come along and will "take" customers from Wal Mart.

How's come no one b*tches about McDonalds and Buger King putting small restaurants out of business? Or Applebees? Why only Wal Mart?

Wal Mart has 1.5 million workers. And the unions want to extort money from them. That's why.
wrong. Kroger is just clean, and the cashiers, mostly college students who are polite and say "thank you". They have manners, which is difficult to find these days.

Customer service is why Id rather spend an extra 100.00 at Kroger than go to China-Mart. Plus their food is unhealthy, ever try to look at produce in wal-mart ...Earthfare or Whole Foods is preferable.

"Ingles" too is All-American supermarket in NE tenn area. Anyone needing clean decent food should go there. I wont even buy dog food at China-mart.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:17 PM

Wal MArt started as one store in Rogers Arkansas. They now employ 2.1 million people. Not to mention all the construction workers and what not they employed to build nearly 8,000 stores.

According to Wal Mart bashers this is how to destroy jobs.

It also shows that and mom and pop shops can grow a business if they make right decisions and have the desire to do so.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
wrong. Kroger is just clean, and the cashiers, mostly college students who are polite and say "thank you". They have manners, which is difficult to find these days.

Customer service is why Id rather spend an extra 100.00 at Kroger than go to China-Mart. Plus their food is unhealthy, ever try to look at produce in wal-mart ...Earthfare or Whole Foods is preferable.

"Ingles" too is All-American supermarket in NE tenn area. Anyone needing clean decent food should go there. I wont even buy dog food at China-mart.
The Wal Mart I go to is clean. And the produce is fine.

And you are willing to pay more for customer service. Good for you. I do that sometimes too. Depends on the situation.

That's the beauty of capitalism. We have choices.

You said I was wrong. You didn't say what I was wrong about.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:21 PM

lol, Mcdonald's is a "restaurant"?.

Its a fast food place to buy atherosclerosis, and heart disease is all it is. And yes China-mart here has a McD's inside. sad. Mostly it seems walmart employees eat at McD's, as manifested by their size.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
lol, Mcdonald's is a "restaurant"?.

Its a fast food place to buy atherosclerosis, and heart disease is all it is. And yes China-mart here has a McD's inside. sad. Mostly it seems walmart employees eat at McD's, as manifested by their size.
Yawn.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:23 PM

You mentioned Kroger is union- I had no idea, except that they have EXCELLENT customer service (VERY hard to find these days) and their cashiers are clean and polite. jmo.

I refuse to shop at a dirty, unmaintained and poorly managed china-mart. I dont need to.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
You mentioned Kroger is union- I had no idea, except that they have EXCELLENT customer service (VERY hard to find these days) and their cashiers are clean and polite. jmo.

I refuse to shop at a dirty, unmaintained and poorly managed china-mart. I dont need to.
That's your choice. The Wal Mart I go to is clean, well managed and the customer service is fine. If it weren't I would not go there.

The Kroger near me is old and crowded. The Asian food section is extremley limited. And they have replaced ALL their cahiers with self-checkout machines. That's what union wages will do.

Like I said, that's the magic of capitalism. You can shop where you want for the reason's you want. And I can shop where I want for the reason's I want. This is a choice that very few people have ever had.

May God Bless Capitalism.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:32 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Fluff piece. The article just tries to find a correlation and then assumes causation and says nothing about the loss of manufacturing jobs caused by Walmarts practices.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:34 PM

416 posts, read 637,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I call shenanigans. Prove the claim.

My own experiences show otherwise.

What I bought at Wal*Mart tonight.
sure wal-mart has changed over time. new super stores carrying groceries, etc have switched the 'demographic' mix of made in american vs import.

so perhaps I need a more nuanced statement:

apparel
toys
etc

take out food and where does that leave wal-mart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies