Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oil speculation, your thoughts
Oil speculation is a needed form of market self regulation, and should be left alone 11 27.50%
We should force reform of the program, but the government should not regulate it themselves 3 7.50%
Use Dodd Frank to allow the government to regulate speculation 3 7.50%
End oil speculation completely 23 57.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:46 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times

Advertisements

There are congressmen pushing to have oil speculation either monitored, or stopped all together by using the Dodd Frank rules for wall street regulation to monitor this activity.

Everytime there is a hickup in the middle east, oil pices shoot up. Hurricane, shoot up, etc.

None of these actually have an actual effect on oil supplies in most cases. How many times has your local gas station said "Oh, sorry, we are out of fuel because Iran saber rattled yesterday"?

Doesn't happen.

Is oil speculation needless profiteering, or is it a needed market self regulatory effort?

I'm not sure that Dodd Frank should be used for this, or if it can be, but it seems to me like oil speculation is a large part of our fuel prices, and they don't really seem to actually represent a real world supply change.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 07:53 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
"No the market decides everything. Even if the market is 90% owned by the .6% the market is sacred and can never be wrong. All hail the hedge fund managers"

You are right it is BS and quite probably rigged for the big boys but you really cant stop it.

You can make it NOT qualify for the cap gains rate in various funds that make the transactions qualify for that rate.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:56 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,389,337 times
You could end speculation tomorrow if buyers were required to take possession of everything they purchase or not permitted to trade on margin.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:00 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,203,749 times
There is no reason for anyone that isn't going to take delivery of oil to be bidding it up.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:06 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
There are congressmen pushing to have oil speculation either monitored, or stopped all together by using the Dodd Frank rules for wall street regulation to monitor this activity.

Everytime there is a hickup in the middle east, oil pices shoot up. Hurricane, shoot up, etc.

None of these actually have an actual effect on oil supplies in most cases. How many times has your local gas station said "Oh, sorry, we are out of fuel because Iran saber rattled yesterday"?

Doesn't happen.

Is oil speculation needless profiteering, or is it a needed market self regulatory effort?

I'm not sure that Dodd Frank should be used for this, or if it can be, but it seems to me like oil speculation is a large part of our fuel prices, and they don't really seem to actually represent a real world supply change.

Your thoughts?
End it now is my vote...speculators are an absolute drain on the world...no redeeming qualities at all.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I would like to see an absolutely open market on oil exploration, drilling and pumping to whoever wants to buy. A market with out any controls by the existing oil companies or their client countries. Only then would we see what the real market price for crude would be. I think it would be a lot lower than under the current oligiopoly.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:27 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would like to see an absolutely open market on oil exploration, drilling and pumping to whoever wants to buy. A market with out any controls by the existing oil companies or their client countries. Only then would we see what the real market price for crude would be. I think it would be a lot lower than under the current oligiopoly.
I agree...let the real market rule and cut out the subsidies to big oil while we're at it.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:34 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
There is no reason for anyone that isn't going to take delivery of oil to be bidding it up.
^ This.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:00 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
"No the market decides everything. Even if the market is 90% owned by the .6% the market is sacred and can never be wrong. All hail the hedge fund managers"

You are right it is BS and quite probably rigged for the big boys but you really cant stop it.

You can make it NOT qualify for the cap gains rate in various funds that make the transactions qualify for that rate.
Jimmy Carter tried this BS with price controls on gasoline.

It worked great, prices stabilized but the only thing is you couldn't buy gasoline to buy.

Price controls haven't worked from the time of the Roman Emperor Diocletian.

They always fail.

Edict on Maximum Prices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But to the left, like communism, just because it hasn't worked before is no reason not to try it again.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:19 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Stopping speculation is a great on-paper concept. I have a hard time having a strong opinion on it only because it's unworkable in the real world.

I personally think that the politicians are just looking to pass *something* for PR purposes.

Does anyone other than me remember the congressional dog and pony show with the oil execs and the "take those record profits" claims? Just pure political grandstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies