Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,638 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/op...qc9pHuzTI3lwXQ

Quote:
Veterans kill themselves at a rate of one every 80 minutes. More than 6,500 veteran suicides are logged every year — more than the total number of soldiers killed in Afghanistan and Iraq combined since those wars began.
How is that foreign policy of endless wars working out for you? Oh, and let me guess - you have a pink ribbon sticker on your car which says "Support Our Troops". Yes, that should do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 08:02 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,666,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post

How is that foreign policy of endless wars working out for you? Oh, and let me guess - you have a pink ribbon sticker on your car which says "Support Our Troops". Yes, that should do it.

It's a yellow ribbon

Old 04-16-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
It's a yellow ribbon
Some "extra-caring" folks go a step further and profess their support for 'Susan G. Komen for the Cure' too all in the same ribbon. That helps them sleep better at night.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:09 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
That's not acceptable.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Why do you critisize people for buying the ribbon? If you have better ideas, then why don't you share them. I don't know what you think you will accompish by trying to tear down people who bought the ribbon thinking it would help the veterans.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:06 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,394,840 times
I'm willing to bet non-veterans kill themselves even faster.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why do you critisize people for buying the ribbon? If you have better ideas, then why don't you share them. I don't know what you think you will accompish by trying to tear down people who bought the ribbon thinking it would help the veterans.
Because those bumbling idiots think that their responsibility towards our troops is done if they show off a stupid ribbon on their gas guzzler.

If you really care about the troops, you would listen to their pain and anguish. They join the military to defend the Constitution, but instead are being sent off by our empty suit politicians to godforsaken desert lands to die in undeclared wars only so that the Military Industrial Complex could sell more weapons and indulge in war profiteering. Even if the troops don't die there, they return with enough trauma and psychological damage that they are unable to lead normal lives as civilians. (Did you miss the part where it said that veterans commit suicide at a rate of one every 80 MINUTES?)

If you really cared about the troops, you would vote the politicians out who push for endless wars and endless military intervention and put that money and lives towards rebuilding _this_ country, not some oil-rich mullah land.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:13 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:

Hey I'm all for ending the War Inc policies of America but I can't use Vet's suicides as talking points.

I saw my Dad experience delayed stress from his Marine Corp days in WWII, he suffered from that when he was 85 years old. My Mom said his whole life he didn't suffer from it but at the end suffering with Alzheimers Disease he had to relive those horrors.

I think it's awful the weight these guys have to carry.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:15 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
Quote:

Where are the numbers reporting this during this election year? The liberals should really still care about the military and deaths no matter who is in control!
But we all know they don't it was just a political stunt.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:17 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
My feeling is that both congress and senate as well as the POTUS have to sign off on any military operation. And if we do go to war, we got all out, total war as Hitler would have said. That means almost never would we use this option.

Either you negotiate in good faith and find peace or you go all out war and take their capitol and risk your own.

This half measures war policy has opened the door to so much crime and corruption. Worst decision our country ever made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies