Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:51 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
Orthodoxy is growing and all other groups are disappearing and soon more and more non Orthodox organizations are either going to disappear or get taken over by Orthodox people because there will be no one left to take care of it. so then organizations like the American Council for Judaism will cease to exist.
ACJ is unique amongst Jewish anti-Zionists only in that they are Reform Jews rather than Orthodox Jews. With younger American Jews becoming hostile to or indifferent towards Israel, the views of ACJ will spread. Orthodoxy has an anti-Zionist streak, to this day.

Many American Jews, at least those whom I come in contact with in California, are considering not voting for Obama in 2012, because of their view of his domestic policies, and are stating that they are willing to vote Republican if the GOP puts up a good candidate. The candidate that most of them prefer, however, is Ron Paul, the candidate who refuses to make any concessions to Israel, and does not suck up to Israel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 10:57 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
why don't you respond to the basic fact that what I said was not written after the Holocaust as a justification but before Hitler's rise to power. there were many predictions that there would be a destruction of German jews (though not to the extent that it happened) by Orthodox Rabbis in the years leading up to Hitlers rise. The belief that they mock (and keep that the first book written that was to some extent written primary on this subject author was murdered in the Holocaust) was held by many survivors and victims of the Holocaust. (so I don't think I'm being the slightest I'm being insensitive)
So who else predicted the destruction of German Jewry prior to Hitler's rise to power?

Is it possible that said Orthodox Rabbi could have read Mein Kampf and taken it seriously (if so he would have been virtually the only person outside of Nazi circles who did in 1926 - and I wonder why said Orthodox Rabbi didn't communicate his insights into Hitler to any political leaders, diplomats, journalists, etc.)?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:14 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,557,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
German and Austrian antisemitism was pretty high in 1926. Anti-Jewish sentiment was highest in Bavaria but the "stab in the back" myth was quite common all over Germany. Mein Kampf was published in 1926. While no one outside of Munich would have expected the Nazis to ever come to power in 1926, and while the Jewish community of Germany was very important, influential, and patriotic, it was not impossible that someone could have predicted some sort of reaction against Germany's Jews.
it was printed posthumously so I don't know when he wrote that line though it was possible he wrote it in 1926

Old 12-12-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
So who else predicted the destruction of German Jewry prior to Hitler's rise to power?

Is it possible that said Orthodox Rabbi could have read Mein Kampf and taken it seriously (if so he would have been virtually the only person outside of Nazi circles who did in 1926 - and I wonder why said Orthodox Rabbi didn't communicate his insights into Hitler to any political leaders, diplomats, journalists, etc.)?
the Chafetz Chaim (died in 1933) in at least 1930 plenty of witness to his statements (his student who was murdered in the Holocaust wrote a small book on the subject of the then current and to future events being a punishment for behaviors in 1938 or 39)

Old 12-13-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
ACJ is unique amongst Jewish anti-Zionists only in that they are Reform Jews rather than Orthodox Jews. With younger American Jews becoming hostile to or indifferent towards Israel, the views of ACJ will spread. Orthodoxy has an anti-Zionist streak, to this day.
first of all I'll like to apologize for the tone I used before, If I would have known you weren't jewish I never would have been so sharp.

now my major problem with the ACJ has nothing to do with rejection of Zionism but with their reform agenda which caused them to reject zionisim.

Orthodoxy's anti zionisim is so far removed from ACJ that its not even worth comparing them (for example many orthodox anti zionists voted for McCain over Obama not for Israel but for the safety of jews (I don't want to debate this point now so just except the fact that they believe it to be true) who live in Israel) additionally while you might think that Orthodox anti zionists and the AJC have a lot more in common then Orthodox anti zionist and lets say likud but the theological reasons that make them anti zionist make them much closer to the theological positions of Begin then to the ACJ.

Quote:
Many American Jews, at least those whom I come in contact with in California, are considering not voting for Obama in 2012, because of their view of his domestic policies, and are stating that they are willing to vote Republican if the GOP puts up a good candidate. The candidate that most of them prefer, however, is Ron Paul, the candidate who refuses to make any concessions to Israel, and does not suck up to Israel.
If I remember correctly you live in San Francisco. You have to understand that the 2 most unique big cities in America (Jewish wise) are San Francisco and New York. New York on it's being like I said earlier a city that has every type of jew and having more then 50% of all NY Jews being either Orthodox or Russian and as of 2002 over half of all children in NYC, LI, and Westchester were from Orthodox families. here not only are there more Orthodox but the Orthodox are much stricter then most of the rest of the country

San Francisco on the other hand has the opposite phenomenon. San Francisco has less Orthodox synagogues (with less people/synagogue) then many liberal areas of NYC for example the UWS has around double the amount of Orthodox synagogues as San Francisco. In addition the bay area as of 2004 had (according to the federation) 33% of all jewish have no religious affiliation. Furthermore those jews who have a religious affiliation are less likely to be affiliated with a place of worship then most other cities (to be clear a reform jew in SF is less likely to have a affiliation with a place of worship then a reform jew in almost any other city). Jewish wise SF is a desert. the jews of all demographics here like the rest of the city are less likely to be Conservative (in non economic ways) then other areas. In addition as most jews assimilate further they stop associating with jewish (meaning here run by jews and catered to jewish needs) organizations so I don't see AJC growing to big any time soon. So consedring the fact that SF is one of the most assimilated cities in the country then if that's all you know you would have a biased view point. (just on a side point once jews assimilate past a certain point they start tilting back towards voting republican (for economic reasons) like the avg American voter)

and in regards to Ron Paul in NYC (keep in mind I can make a contiguous area only in NYC with over 2,000,000 people that voted for McCain) the only area I find a decent amount of Ron Paul supporters are in liberal areas. Ron Paul portrays himself as a libertarian and that is what gets him his support. Ron Paul would be the worst republican candidate (this is a political analysis I might prefer him to Romeny (depending on Romney's position of the day)) if the candidate wants to win the highest amount of the Jewish vote possible.

in short I don't think the views of AJC will spread far at all because by the time they couldn't care less about Israel enough to join the AJC I think their jewish connection will so far gone that they wouldn't care about Israel anymore then the avg person cares about Argentina and the UK. The AJC's position would not be helped by people who are just as indifferent to the AJC as Israel.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:16 AM

880 posts, read 2,025,295 times
American jews said Obama is a muslim who would do harm to Israel and Arnold Swartennager was a Nazi when both men won the jews claimed 85% of them voted FOR OBAMA AND SWARTENNAGER??????????????

Old 12-13-2011, 08:41 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
American jews said Obama is a muslim who would do harm to Israel and Arnold Swartennager was a Nazi when both men won the jews claimed 85% of them voted FOR OBAMA AND SWARTENNAGER??????????????
You need to quote better statistics. "American Jews." ALL American Jews, or maybe just some? (I, for instance, am an American Jew--although if you wanted to aim for accuracy, I'm actually a Jewish American--and I never said any such thing.)

Also, you lose legitimacy points for spelling. The man's name is Schwarzenegger. And "Jew" should be capitalized.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:44 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,913,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
Trying making sense.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:46 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,913,657 times
Only 15% of American Jews vote based on Israel policy as other posters have stated. Younger Jews especially are tending to vote based on economic need/interest, much like all younger Americans. As for the Ron Paul gravy train, a lot of younger California Jews are for Ron Paul.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:04 AM

From here on out the democrats (unless there is some realignment) are going to be getting less and less of the jewish vote the Orthodox vote is growing by leaps and bounds in every election cycle in most cities. and on the other end as jews assimilate they lose the one thing that they claim keeps them jewish there willingness to vote democrat no matter how bad the candidate is.

(this is assuming it's polled accurately which I think rarely happens (there's almost always a Orthodox undercount)) for example in many NYC polls things that are self identified Orthodox jews poll at 90% many often the polls have numbers that even if every single non Orthodox jew polled the other way there would still be more people who support the items in question due to the size of the Orthodox electorate)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies