Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 09:05 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Take a quick visit down to the Religion forum here and take a look at what they have to say about the religious (or as some there call it "Delusionists"), I find it uncivil.
As opposed to telling me I'm going to burn in hell?

Sure, if you say so - but when was the last time an atheist flew a plane into a building to further the cause of heathenism?

Old 12-11-2011, 09:11 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Read it.....

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

By not allowing religion in public spaces, the Constitution is being broken.

There is no freedom from religion.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:34 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
As opposed to telling me I'm going to burn in hell?

Sure, if you say so - but when was the last time an atheist flew a plane into a building to further the cause of heathenism?
I rightly don't know on that, but I am all to aware of the Church purges in the USSR and China and the Gulags and political prisons therein, the destruction of civil liberties towards the religious and churches in Albania in the 1960s or the defacings and depravities committed by the "Cult of Reason" in France during the French Revolution. Or Hell, let's just chock up all the tens of millions killed in the name of Communism, which if you remember, is an atheistic system too.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I rightly don't know on that, but I am all to aware of the Church purges in the USSR and China and the Gulags and political prisons therein, the destruction of civil liberties towards the religious and churches in Albania in the 1960s or the defacings and depravities committed by the "Cult of Reason" in France during the French Revolution. Or Hell, let's just chock up all the tens of millions killed in the name of Communism, which if you remember, is an atheistic system too.
Communism is just as atheist as capitalism. That is to say, religion has no component in religion.

Regardless - the main point is that communists didn't kill to further athiesm, communists killed to further communism.

Religious people on the other hand, kill for their god (or, more often, their version of their god).

Old 12-12-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Read it.....

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

By not allowing religion in public spaces, the Constitution is being broken.

There is no freedom from religion.
Religion is allowed in public spaces...

Old 12-12-2011, 01:35 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Religion is allowed in public spaces...
'In God We Trust' banished from classroom

Old 12-12-2011, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
So I hammered you with facts, and your response is to take your toys and go home.

Figures.

Jesus commanded people to pray in their rooms in private.

Jesus says specifically that those who pray in public, like on street corners or churches are hypocrites.

So, my question is, why would people willingly disrespect Jesus and spit in his face by doing the opposite of what he commands?

Matthew 6:5 “Whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, because they love to pray while standing in churches and on street corners so that people can see them. 6:6 But whenever you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you. 6:7 When you pray, do not babble repetitiously like the Gentiles, because they think that by their many words they will be heard. 6:8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 6:9 So pray this way:

And he goes into the Lord's Prayer

Tatal nostru care esti in ceruri;
Sfinteasca-se Numele Tau;
vie imparatia Ta; faca-se voia Ta,
precum in cer si pe pamant...

So for those who insist upon disrespecting Jesus and praying in public, your prayers WILL NOT BE HEARD and you are hypocrites (so saith Jesus), so why do it?

That is what the US Constitution says.

It is a contract between you and the government, and between me and the government, but it is not a contract between you and I.

You and I are "private actors," as you said (nice term by the way).
Profess your faith publicly and if asked don't deny Him.

There is more to those scriptures than what you are citing.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Practically speaking, the federal government was prevented from infringing on personal liberties - not just state liberties.

The Bill of rights limited the federal government's ability to interfere with private citizens - now, it's been mostly incorporated to apply to the states as well.

So what it once was, is not what it now is.
You've got that right. MLK would be thrown into jail today for preaching in the public square. The court citation would read, 'disturbing the peace', not, preaching in the public square.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 12-12-2011 at 01:46 AM.. Reason: added sentence.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:50 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Haha I read that and can't for the life of me figure out why people are comparing god to Malcom X and lesbians. As if it's either/or?

Old 12-12-2011, 01:51 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Profess your faith publicly and if asked don't deny Him.

There is more to those scriptures than what you are citing.
"if asked"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies