Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 03:33 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,235,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
It is a shame some people can't have a discussion without insults.

Only in your wildest dreams.
So I hammered you with facts, and your response is to take your toys and go home.

Figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Seriously read the article about the case that students were praying off to the side at a gov building and the instructor of the class was told loitering was not permitted.

Another case where a student and a teacher were praying in a hallway offering up prayers over an ill student. Some one saw them and reported them to the principle--they took up issue with it.
Jesus commanded people to pray in their rooms in private.

Jesus says specifically that those who pray in public, like on street corners or churches are hypocrites.

So, my question is, why would people willingly disrespect Jesus and spit in his face by doing the opposite of what he commands?

Matthew 6:5 “Whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, because they love to pray while standing in churches and on street corners so that people can see them. 6:6 But whenever you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you. 6:7 When you pray, do not babble repetitiously like the Gentiles, because they think that by their many words they will be heard. 6:8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 6:9 So pray this way:

And he goes into the Lord's Prayer

Tatal nostru care esti in ceruri;
Sfinteasca-se Numele Tau;
vie imparatia Ta; faca-se voia Ta,
precum in cer si pe pamant...

So for those who insist upon disrespecting Jesus and praying in public, your prayers WILL NOT BE HEARD and you are hypocrites (so saith Jesus), so why do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
The bill of rights restricts government - not private actors. Therefore, nothing the constitution says about freedom from religion (specifically, establishing a religion) can apply to a person or private entity - it applies only to the government.

As such, it can't restrict free exercise - indeed, it serves to protect free exercise.
That is what the US Constitution says.

It is a contract between you and the government, and between me and the government, but it is not a contract between you and I.

You and I are "private actors," as you said (nice term by the way).

Old 12-11-2011, 03:42 PM

59,437 posts, read 27,599,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
So I hammered you with facts, and your response is to take your toys and go home.

Figures.

Jesus commanded people to pray in their rooms in private.

Jesus says specifically that those who pray in public, like on street corners or churches are hypocrites.

So, my question is, why would people willingly disrespect Jesus and spit in his face by doing the opposite of what he commands?

Matthew 6:5 “Whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, because they love to pray while standing in churches and on street corners so that people can see them. 6:6 But whenever you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you. 6:7 When you pray, do not babble repetitiously like the Gentiles, because they think that by their many words they will be heard. 6:8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 6:9 So pray this way:

And he goes into the Lord's Prayer

Tatal nostru care esti in ceruri;
Sfinteasca-se Numele Tau;
vie imparatia Ta; faca-se voia Ta,
precum in cer si pe pamant...

So for those who insist upon disrespecting Jesus and praying in public, your prayers WILL NOT BE HEARD and you are hypocrites (so saith Jesus), so why do it?

It is a contract between you and the government, and between me and the government, but it is not a contract between you and I.

I choose to have a discussions with adults, not children who revert to childish insults because someone doesn't agree with them.

Have fun with your toys.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:39 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,021,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwrek View Post
Religion is the biggest scam ever perpetrated on mankind. It is about money and control, nothing else.

The day the last kooky religious believer dies of old age, the entire planet will be much better off.

Ever notice religious people share quite a few of the same traits that diagnosed schizophrenics do?
You see, it's snarky hate filled bile like this is why I don't have much respect for atheists or atheism in general. Well you know what, THANK GOD I don't think like you!

Old 12-11-2011, 08:12 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,048,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
You see, it's snarky hate filled bile like this is why I don't have much respect for atheists or atheism in general. Well you know what, THANK GOD I don't think like you!
Hate filled bile is why I don't have much respect for religious people or religion in general - hmmmmmm...

Old 12-11-2011, 08:13 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,778,258 times
Tolerance is never inherited.

Peace has to come from within.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:22 PM

38,651 posts, read 26,460,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Actually, the US Constitution is a compact between the states in which the federal government, being a creation of the states, is given limited permission under the Constitution to perform specific prescribed duties (see article 1, section 8) on behalf of the states. Moreover, prior to the Seventeenth amendment, Senators were only elected by state legislatures and even now presidential candidates win or lose entire states.

The idea that the federal government should be a part of individual American's daily lives is a Twentieth Century invention inconsistent with the intent of the Founders to create a limited federal government.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Hate filled bile is why I don't have much respect for religious people or religion in general - hmmmmmm...
You don't see me calling all atheists communists or state-atheism Gulag running Soviets. When I'm called a "kook" because I have the audacity to believe in God, that is when I get steamed.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
You don't see me calling all atheists communists or state-atheism Gulag running Soviets. When I'm called a "kook" because I have the audacity to believe in God, that is when I get steamed.
But most atheists call you a kook? You've met a lot of atheists, then!

Old 12-11-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Actually, the US Constitution is a compact between the states in which the federal government, being a creation of the states, is given limited permission under the Constitution to perform specific prescribed duties (see article 1, section 8) on behalf of the states. Moreover, prior to the Seventeenth amendment, Senators were only elected by state legislatures and even now presidential candidates win or lose entire states.

The idea that the federal government should be a part of individual American's daily lives is a Twentieth Century invention inconsistent with the intent of the Founders to create a limited federal government.
Practically speaking, the federal government was prevented from infringing on personal liberties - not just state liberties.

The Bill of rights limited the federal government's ability to interfere with private citizens - now, it's been mostly incorporated to apply to the states as well.

So what it once was, is not what it now is.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
But most atheists call you a kook? You've met a lot of atheists, then!
Take a quick visit down to the Religion forum here and take a look at what they have to say about the religious (or as some there call it "Delusionists"), I find it uncivil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies