Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 02:40 PM

65 posts, read 120,661 times

Advertisements

I'm sure if I thought about it for a while there'd probably be a couple more things but one thing I do agree with republicans on is school choice (though I don't agree with not having national standards and am completely against teaching non-science in science classes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 02:40 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,488,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
You have to have more than superior firepower to have peace, or we would have it now. You need to have a will for peace.

Oh definatly. What started as revenge and king georges plan to avoid the 2001 recession plan turned into a decade long cluster#$%^&

Old 12-09-2011, 02:52 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,681,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'm very conservative on pretty much all economic/fiscal issues, idenitfy as a Republican, vote in GOP primaries (We don't register with parties in TX but, if we did, I'd be a registered Republican), and usually vote for Republican candidates. However, I disagree with the Republican party on several issues, primarily social issues:

-Gay rights - I'm for gay marriage and all other equal rights for gays. If I have the right, they should have the right.

-Capital punishment - I'm for it in theory, but the appeals process is too expensive, it doesn't really serve as a deterrent in practice, and I have concerns about the possibility of innocent people being executed.

-Abortion/related issues - I have mixed feelings about abortion and I'm pretty liberal on all related issues, such as contraception, comprehensive sex ed in schools, and embryonic stem cell research.

-Climate change - I believe in the climate change science. I feel the future of energy in America should lie in natural gas rather than oil, but also rather than ethanol, solar energy, wind energy, etc. for the most part, so I guess I have mixed views on energy policy.

There are other issues where I disagree with the Republicans, but these are some of the main ones. And, for the record, I'm not a libertarian. I believe in strong (but smart) defense and free trade - I don't agree with their views on foreign policy. I'm also very much against illegal immigration.

Are there any issues on which you disagree with your party/ideology?
I agree with all of these positions. I also believe in a strong defense, free trade and a free market economic policy. I'm against illegal immigration. I'm against gun control at the federal level.

Probably the main thing I disagree with the Republicans on is taxes. I'd like to see taxes raised on the top income bracket back to the Clinton-era rate of 40 percent, as well as the capital gains tax back at 28 percent and the estate tax back at 50 percent. Other than that, I could probably be a Republican.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:03 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,356,301 times
I am conservative but I do believe in unions for workers that are privately employed. I agree with FDR that government unions do not work.
I like the Schumer/Lee foreign visa bill (if they buy a home here for $500,000 they get a 3 year visa).
I am okay with civil unions so gays can be covered by their partner's benefits.
I consider myself an environmentalist but I am for producing energy in the US.
I like a progressive tax structure but not one that punishes success.
I am for campaign finance laws to keep big corporations and unions from donating to campaigns.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:06 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,200,948 times
I think for myself, so I don't agree with everything that either party says. The Republican side of the house seems to be more delusional nowadays, but it really depends on the issue.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:07 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,366,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I view myself as conservative/libertarian.

I agree with liberals on gay marriage, but I want the federal government out of marriage. Mostly I want marriage status to have no effect on taxes. Any other marriage related issues should be handled by civil statute.
Amen. I couldn't care less whether any 2 or 3 or more adults want to consider themselves "married". Just get rid of preferential treatment on taxes, entitlements, citizenship etc.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:11 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,548,452 times
Quote:
I'm very conservative on pretty much all economic/fiscal issues, idenitfy as a Republican, vote in GOP primaries (We don't register with parties in TX but, if we did, I'd be a registered Republican), and usually vote for Republican candidates. However, I disagree with the Republican party on several issues, primarily social issues:

-Gay rights - I'm for gay marriage and all other equal rights for gays. If I have the right, they should have the right.

-Capital punishment - I'm for it in theory, but the appeals process is too expensive, it doesn't really serve as a deterrent in practice, and I have concerns about the possibility of innocent people being executed.

-Abortion/related issues - I have mixed feelings about abortion and I'm pretty liberal on all related issues, such as contraception, comprehensive sex ed in schools, and embryonic stem cell research.

-Climate change - I believe in the climate change science. I feel the future of energy in America should lie in natural gas rather than oil, but also rather than ethanol, solar energy, wind energy, etc. for the most part, so I guess I have mixed views on energy policy.

There are other issues where I disagree with the Republicans, but these are some of the main ones. And, for the record, I'm not a libertarian. I believe in strong (but smart) defense and free trade - I don't agree with their views on foreign policy. I'm also very much against illegal immigration.

Are there any issues on which you disagree with your party/ideology?
Yes. Welfare and fiscal issues. I believe welfare is abused to much to keep as is. I believe welfare recipients should do something daily with 2 days off a week that works toward them getting off welfare. Same with food stamps. I believe criminals are criminals and no one made 90% of them that way. Being poor doesn't excuse criminal activity. Abortion for underage girls is wrong with out strict meetings and counseling strictly controlled. Spending cuts should be made and they should be deep.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:12 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,548,452 times
I forgot mandatory drug testing.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:30 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,366,750 times
Quote:

Abortion as an everyday means of birth control for people too irresponsible to use protection is repugnant to me. But no matter how repugnant, it's better than an epidemic of welfare children repeating the cycle. Too bad it's not working...

Climate change is real and at least partially human-caused - i.e. caused by TOO MANY HUMANS on the planet. Address the real problem and I'll get behind it. Until then it's no more than a gimmick to transfer wealth to the countries causing the problem. We spend billions to reduce pollution while subsidizing the countries who destroy millions of acres of rain forest every year. We send food to starving countries so they can produce even more children they can't feed. Think about the amount of waste one human produces in a lifetime - it's not a pretty picture. The first step to solving the problem is to STOP doing all the things that are making the problem worse.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:15 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,503,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Probably the main thing I disagree with the Republicans on is taxes. I'd like to see taxes raised on the top income bracket back to the Clinton-era rate of 40 percent, as well as the capital gains tax back at 28 percent and the estate tax back at 50 percent. Other than that, I could probably be a Republican.
And this is where you and I disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies