Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 05:53 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,102,753 times

Advertisements

Do you agree with "the other side" on any issues?

I'm registered as a Dem,but I agree alot with the Repubs on fiscal responsibility,crime and punishment,I am 100% against illegal aliens and I agree on a lot of other issues Republicans are "supposed" to represent.

I part ways with them completely on social issues,military/war issues,big business freebies and labor VS big business issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 05:58 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,922,157 times
Ron Paul believes in Free Trade...

NAFTA and the WTO (which he opposes) is not free trade.. Ron Paul is 100% consistent in his philosophy.

Sorry for the digression, again.. but had to point this out.. lol

Old 12-09-2011, 07:02 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,668,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
And this is where you and I disagree.
Yep.. if it weren't for the hard Republican line on taxes, I'd probably be one by now. I think the Republican dogma on taxes is as loony and out of whack as many Leftist dogmas of a bygone era.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:18 PM

839 posts, read 2,419,571 times
I don't know if its a matter of agreeing with the other side as I really don't have a side. There are some issues where I'm solidly with conservatives, other issues I'm pretty liberal, and still others I'm with the Libertarians...

For example:

I'm very, very pro gun rights.

I'm (generally) against abortion (except for rape, incest, and certain other circumstances).

I believe we need to get our borders under control and expel the illegals.

On the other hand:

I'm for gays being allowed to marry. Not any one's business but theirs...

I would like to see universal healthcare in this country....

I'm for making marijuana legal for sale to adults

Old 12-09-2011, 07:40 PM

37,804 posts, read 41,087,593 times
I agree with the Unions that the Keystone pipeline needs to be built to create jobs. I think the President will lose votes on that issue and maybe even donations so I'm with the "Jobs Democrats" and almost the entire GOP on that issue.

I think gays should be allowed to get married because no one else's marriage impacts your own. However, I think churches should do what their religion calls for. Since I am neither gay nor married, the issue does not impact how I vote.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:43 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,490,249 times
Abortion, campaign finance reform, keeping religion out of government.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:49 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,567,099 times
I'm a pro-life Democrat who believes in fiscal responsibility, personal responsibility and welfare reform.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:15 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,493,296 times
I'm a pro life liberal, evangelical Christian who is concerned about fiscal responsibility and tends to support 2nd amendment rights--within reason. I also think that entitlements need to be reformed to be fiscally sustainable, or else they won't help anybody. I also understand conservative worries over deficit spending, but don't think that blindly running through the budgetary jungle waving a machete around is helpful either.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:29 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,394,287 times
I think there's damn near nothing that I agree with the left on. It goes back to individualism vs. collectivism, and I am individualist in persuasion.

I'm pro-choice. My take is that I don't really know where life begins and it's a issue between the mother and her doctor. Especially in the case of rape, how can we tell a woman 'you have to bear that baby.' And if we can do it in the case of rape, we can do it in other cases too, at least if we are consistent with our definition of 'life.'

I think it's kind of an accident of history that abortion wound up as a left-right wedge issue. And it is inherently a tough issue to come to terms with. I think you'll find quite a few left-liberals who are pro-life and right-libertarians who are pro-choice (and some pro life). It's an issue that really does not fit neatly into the left-right spectrum.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:39 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,058,604 times
I'm a leftist/libertarian...for those familiar with "The Political Compass", I plot out in the bottom/left corner. I do find that I occasionally agree with some opinions typical of the political right, when those issues have strong libertarian overtones: The Federal Reserve Banking System, an encroaching police state, foreign military entanglements, NAFTA, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies