Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 07:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
I don't blame your niece. I blame the system. A non-tangible product should not cost an individual over $100k. Also, most students do have part-time jobs. The fact that so much of her income goes towards a student loan is unfair. I guess it's easy to sit back and be smug about it, but there are people out there in her situation who are in financial dire straits for life.

This doesn't happen in other countries.
It is her fault. She could have went to a local college (lives in NY) or even a state college and got a p/t job. Her loan amount would have been considerably less than what they are today.

Bad decisions. Now she has to deal with it. You borrow money, you pay it back. No one forced her to choose an out of state school and she chose to use student loan money to finance her social life rather than work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 07:38 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And you can't prove that is is photoshopped.

So what is your point ?
My point IS..more than likely this never happened. The PD was all over this movement and would not allow someone that close to a vehicle. Again, logical conclusions here.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:46 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
SB,

Not going to quote because of the pics....no one has ever denied the trash, sleeping bags etc.....but wait you fail to see, read is that that are not given the opportunity to clean it up (with the exception of zucotti, they did clean that park) if they are told to leave, they must leave the "stuff" there.

So again, let's deal in truth and reality and logical conclusions.

And seriously, the need for gas masks with no one around? Looking to create drama and effect for sure.
I think the OWS movement has done themselves no favors through the mess, the violence, and the general departure from normal society manners. I did see one protest that I thought was quite effective and didn't require violence or tents...when the students at Berkeley used the power of silence to protest Chancellor Katehi. This, in my opinion, would resonate more with people than the activities we have seen from OWS.

UC Davis Chancellor Katehi walks to car amidst protesters (HD, best quality) - YouTube

Old 12-10-2011, 07:57 AM

932 posts, read 1,177,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It is her fault. She could have went to a local college (lives in NY) or even a state college and got a p/t job. Her loan amount would have been considerably less than what they are today.

Bad decisions. Now she has to deal with it. You borrow money, you pay it back. No one forced her to choose an out of state school and she chose to use student loan money to finance her social life rather than work.
Since I don't know your niece or her personal situation or reaaons for opting to go to an out of state college, I can't comment any further. However, I think it's too much to ask an individual to pay $100 for a degree. It's basically saying that only the wealthy can go to those schools, but if you're not wealthy, you're basically screwed and stuck with a $100 loan for life for trying to pursue their dream (this is what used to get my ex-wife down, as she could never pursue her passion for film and go to film school, because of the cost).

Old 12-10-2011, 08:02 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
My point IS..more than likely this never happened. The PD was all over this movement and would not allow someone that close to a vehicle. Again, logical conclusions here.
Seriously, just give up

omgimaduck: neverlandnow: An Occupy Wall...

Quote:
An Occupy Wall Street protester lies on a police car after the police in riot gear removed the protesters the protesters early in the morning from Zuccotti Park on November 15, 2011in New York City
OCCUPY EVERYTHING

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-10-2011 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: quit with the personal attacks!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:03 AM

Just in case you claim it's not related.

NYPD Raid On Zuccotti Park « Photo Galleries « CBS New York

Old 12-10-2011, 08:05 AM

Let's not forget Occupy Oakland.

Meet the Face of #OccupyOakland Riot “All My Heroes Kill Cops” [Photo]

http://ironicsurrealism.com/files/2011/10/occupyoakland-my-heroes-kill-cops.jpg (broken link)

http://ironicsurrealism.com/files/2011/10/occupy-oakland-smash-police-car.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-10-2011, 08:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Since I don't know your niece or her personal situation or reaaons for opting to go to an out of state college, I can't comment any further. However, I think it's too much to ask an individual to pay $100 for a degree. It's basically saying that only the wealthy can go to those schools, but if you're not wealthy, you're basically screwed and stuck with a $100 loan for life for trying to pursue their dream (this is what used to get my ex-wife down, as she could never pursue her passion for film and go to film school, because of the cost).
What do you mean "ask an individual to pay 100K to go to school" ?
She CHOSE that route. Her sister stayed local and owes a fraction of what she owes.

Pursue her dream ? It was a liberal arts degree..she had no clue what she wanted to do with her life so she went to college and took classes and had herself a grand old time in Rhode Island.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:17 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Default 99% Teepee

Well around here, they have a teepee. The "99%" have a teepee. Not too hard to see why this movement has become something of a joke. I suspect if the suffrage movement so quickly devolved into hanging out smoking weed in teepees on vacant lots, it probably wouldn't have gone anywhere either.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:17 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
... In 1922, mainstream types said of the young women who picketed the White House on behalf of women's suffrage, "They're destroying the family."...
As my late grandfather used to say, "The mistake we made," referring to women, "wasn't giving them the vote. The mistake we made was teaching them how to talk."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies