Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 08:00 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Food-stamp program is full of fraud...
With people selling them,etc i have seen people buying..
Grocery carts filled with steaks,porkchops with food stamps.
Many people who work 40 hr work weeks cant afford to eat like this.
Instead of food-stamps give out the generic labeled government food.
The basic milk,cereal,cheese,meats and veggies,etc.
Nobody in government would ever do it but it should be done.
*this*

it actually makes me very angry about the whole situation.
the working poor that doesn't get food stamps and
there they are the poor welfare queens that do get food stamps.

to qualify you need to make less than 11k for a single
13k for a head of household
or have many many dependents which each one would be about 1-2k income extra.

they get 200 per person. meaning 2400 for food
2400 per extra dependent.

1 child extra 3900 extra tax rebate+13k + 2400 =

+ free healthcare 100-200 per month = 1200-2400 + free gov subsidized housing 500-1000 per month/6-12k

that is them making 11k and living on

30k-35k

WHAT THE HECK MAN.

many of us work very hard and to break even we need min wage of 15-20 dollars to break even to compete with min wage labor of 7-8 dollars per hour?

THAT IS NOT FAIR AT ALL.

stealing and giving to only one group for votes IS NOT FAIR.
that's just bias and promotes LAZINESS.

as I said give it to all evenly and quit the stupid administration of checking up on fraud thus saving money or give it to none.

do not be bias.

just give everyone a rebate/credit of 5000 tax refund per year for food instead and be done with it.
do not complain do not pass go just do it if you want to just give out food to frauds.

I hate shopping for food at the beginning of the month I always see lines of EBT card holders buying up everything...
SCAMMERS and FRAUDS

Old 09-21-2014, 08:02 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
You are making a lot of assumptions without any knowledge of what I believe or do not.
Well, to that I can only say that by what you said:

Quote:
Something tells me you are wrong on your thinking, by believing people should have things they can not afford.
...I assumed you meant things such as food and water. I have heard people argue that position before. The way you said what you said could have been taken that way. If I misinterpreted your meaning, I sincerely apologize.

Quote:
What I was responding to was about people having children when they can not afford them.
Yes, that is a different matter and I can tell you that I personally believe there are far too many people entering into parenthood when they have no chance of being able to support their children.

I have never said that food stamps and other programs were entirely efficient. They are government programs--how could they be? They are not without flaws, certainly.

Quote:
If someone is able to work, than they should be responsible to provide for themselves, not everyone else. Those who are not able to work, that is an entirely different story.
As pointed out, the majority of households receiving food benefits have at least one adult working at least one job.

Please see what I posted about federal ABAWD policy in my last post.

But, what troubles me about the attitude you espouse is that most people seem to have no problem whatsoever with corporate welfare--subsidies and bailouts to people and organizations that already have and control billions and billions of dollars--that costs average taxpayers several orders of magnitude more than what it costs them in taxes for social programs like food stamps.

Yet the "villain" and the "enemy" and the "drain on society"--the people demonized and who get lashed out at the most--are the people who are needy, less fortunate, the working poor, the people who can't get by without a little (usually temporary) assistance.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:04 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
You are making a lot of assumptions without any knowledge of what I believe or do not. What I was responding to was about people having children when they can not afford them.

If someone is able to work, than they should be responsible to provide for themselves, not everyone else. Those who are not able to work, that is an entirely different story.
You know what? Sometimes couples have sex. Sexual activity is a basic human right. Most people are responsible when it comes to procreation or deciding not to procreate. But there are some that are not.

So what are we going to do? Are we going to starve these people out of existence? Are we going to punish those who use the system in the way it was intended? So if we starve the abusers, where do they go? How do we make sure they do not become a danger to society? Throw them in jail? Because that will cost money too. I always question exactly what naysayers want to do with those who abuse the system. I mean, yes, we can and should throw them off the program but I just wonder...what then?

Also, many people WERE financially sound when they had children but something happened. A job lost, an injury suffered, etc.

As stated numerous times, people who receive food stamps more often than not DO work. They work full time. Do you not see the issue in a full time worker STILL not being able to afford food for their families?

Old 09-21-2014, 08:04 AM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Food-stamp program is full of fraud...
With people selling them,etc i have seen people buying..
Grocery carts filled with steaks,porkchops with food stamps.
Many people who work 40 hr work weeks cant afford to eat like this.
Instead of food-stamps give out the generic labeled government food.
The basic milk,cereal,cheese,meats and veggies,etc.
Nobody in government would ever do it but it should be done.
While we're at it, why don't we just get rid of the politicians that support crap like this? It's time that we put Americans back to work so our nation can prosper again.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post

Yet the "villain" and the "enemy" and the "drain on society"--the people demonized and who get lashed out at the most--are the people who are needy, less fortunate, the working poor, the people who can't get by without a little (usually temporary) assistance.
The most ironic thing? These are among the least powerful and most disenfranchised people in the nation yet they shoulder the blame for the downfall of this country.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
While we're at it, why don't we just get rid of the politicians that support crap like this? It's time that we put Americans back to work so our nation can prosper again.

Its time that the average American sees the increase in their wages that corporations have seen in their profits over the past 40 years. That one act alone would solve many issues in this country.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
many of us work very hard and to break even we need min wage of 15-20 dollars to break even to compete with min wage labor of 7-8 dollars per hour?
You make a good point. Perhaps we need to really look at what constitutes a true "living wage." And work towards ensuring all people who work earn one.

Ironically, it's usually the same people who whine and shriek and rail against any kind of minimum wage or increase in minimum wage who also whine and shriek about how much they hate people who work but still don't earn enough to subsist and who want social programs like food stamps eradicated.

It's not only hypocritical, it's asinine.

Quote:
stealing and giving to only one group for votes IS NOT FAIR.
that's just bias and promotes LAZINESS.

I hate shopping for food at the beginning of the month I always see lines of EBT card holders buying up everything...
SCAMMERS and FRAUDS
If you will go back and read some of my previous posts, I have presented several facts and statistics that show just how wrong you are.

As I stated: it is not a perfect system and there ARE people who are just scammers. These people, however, are the exception; not the rule.

I, too, get frustrated as part of my job when I see people seemingly being penalized for working. They get a slight raise and it puts them $3.00 per month over the limit to receive food stamps while other people don't try as hard and they get more help. This does happen at times.

I do not claim to have all the answers. I never did.

One thing I have considered is that it might be better to go back to commodities instead of straight food stamps. Have distribution centers where food stamp recipients got basic, somewhat healthy foodstuffs--fresh produce, veggies, flour, salt, sugar, meat, cheese, dairy, and so on.

The WIC program works similarly to that, though I am not an expert on WIC specifically.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:14 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Theft of one group to benefit another is immoral no matter how "fair" it is.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
*sigh*

Again, MOST PEOPLE WHO RECEIVE FOOD STAMPS LIVE IN A HOUSEHOLD WHERE AT LEAST ONE ADULT WORKS AT LEAST ONE JOB.

The major problem is, costs of everything have risen exponentially, but wages have not.

If we want the nation to prosper, we should find a way to reward people for working. For example, trying to ensure workers earn enough to live perhaps.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Theft of one group to benefit another is immoral no matter how "fair" it is.
Do you believe all taxes are theft?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies