Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 01:18 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
On Halloween the huge fat lady in front of me purchased $30 worth of candy using her EBT card.
Are you serious? That would have been hard for me to not say something about that! If she can do that, she must not need groceries too bad, huh?

Old 08-18-2014, 01:33 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Are you serious? That would have been hard for me to not say something about that! If she can do that, she must not need groceries too bad, huh?
except maybe she had already bought her food for the month and that was her extra.... (assuming she budgets her stamps and had extra). Thats like saying people shouldnt buy chips or pop- only fruits and veggies.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:40 AM

58,970 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sigh. Do you know why people need handouts? Because there is not enough work.

If you're "trying to be an adult" and "they give me handouts besides so they can control me" then the obvious solution for you is-stop taking them.

Reducing the "handouts" does not magically produce jobs. I know, this is crazy huh? Do you know WHY in the past so many people worked? Because making our food took up 95% of our work! There was almost always work for everyone! Today...less then 2% make all of our food. the remaining 98% have to find work in other jobs...and there is not enough work for everyone.
" Because there is not enough work" If you think that is the ONLY or even the main reason, there is NO use trying to have an intelligent discussion with you.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:06 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Get rid of food stamps...

Get rid of low wages first.

Then food stamps would be unnecessary. The food stamp program means that employers can pay these low wages and the taxpayers subsidize their profits. Private companies should take care of themselves and not rely on the taxpaying public to prop them up.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:26 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Get rid of low wages first.

Then food stamps would be unnecessary. The food stamp program means that employers can pay these low wages and the taxpayers subsidize their profits. Private companies should take care of themselves and not rely on the taxpaying public to prop them up.
There are a lot of shoulds in this world and always will be but being that I didn't want to fall in between the "wage" should instead of being out partying, drinking, making babies I couldn't afford instead I got an education that would improve my marketable skills that demand higher pay.

DUH

Old 08-18-2014, 09:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Hard for you not to say something? To Whom? The customer? She obviously had the money available to do so. (See post following yours.) To the clerk? S/he just works there! To the management? It was a lawful transaction.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Hard for you not to say something? To Whom? The customer? She obviously had the money available to do so. (See post following yours.) To the clerk? S/he just works there! To the management? It was a lawful transaction.
I have a feeling Jess5 would have said something to this woman, who id be surprised wouldnt have given her an earful. She would have said it wasnt her business what she did with the stamps.

There could have been multiple things with this woman: Could have wasted all her stamps, could be her extra, she could have bought the amount from someone, could have been using someone elses card....we dont know. We cant just assume everyone with a cart full and an EBT card is somehow stupid, lazy or apparently cant buy candy because it makes Miss Sally jealous she cant buy it with her cash. We ALL work with what we have.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:18 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
There are a lot of shoulds in this world and always will be but being that I didn't want to fall in between the "wage" should instead of being out partying, drinking, making babies I couldn't afford instead I got an education that would improve my marketable skills that demand higher pay.

DUH
More qualified workers would still earn higher compensation. So, what you say still goes. The minimum wage needs to be quite a bit higher than it currently is. If it were high enough, food stamps could tossed on the dustbin of history. And taxpayers wouldn't be forced to subsidize private profits. That's the bottom line.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:36 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
except maybe she had already bought her food for the month and that was her extra.... (assuming she budgets her stamps and had extra). Thats like saying people shouldnt buy chips or pop- only fruits and veggies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I have a feeling Jess5 would have said something to this woman, who id be surprised wouldnt have given her an earful. She would have said it wasnt her business what she did with the stamps.

There could have been multiple things with this woman: Could have wasted all her stamps, could be her extra, she could have bought the amount from someone, could have been using someone elses card....we dont know. We cant just assume everyone with a cart full and an EBT card is somehow stupid, lazy or apparently cant buy candy because it makes Miss Sally jealous she cant buy it with her cash. We ALL work with what we have.
We do precisely that (limit what can and can't be bought) with the WIC program that sometimes supplements food stamps for pregnant women and young children.

If the government is providing people money to buy food ostensibly so Americans don't starve or become malnourished it's not unreasonable at all to limit it to things that are good for people; or at the very least aren't outright harmful and have little or no nutritional value outside of empty calories. If people want to buy fatty red meat or white bread, etc., stuff that's terrible for health if eaten in excess but has some nutritional value I can see the argument for allowing it in theory. If they want to buy candy or soda, that's a mild drug/poison, not food, and I really don't understand how people defend it unless they just outright believe that food stamps should be replaced with cash. It's not food.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
We do precisely that (limit what can and can't be bought) with the WIC program that sometimes supplements food stamps for pregnant women and young children.

If the government is providing people money to buy food ostensibly so Americans don't starve or become malnourished it's not unreasonable at all to limit it to things that are good for people; or at the very least aren't outright harmful and have little or no nutritional value outside of empty calories. If people want to buy fatty red meat or white bread, etc., stuff that's terrible for health if eaten in excess but has some nutritional value I can see the argument for allowing it in theory. If they want to buy candy or soda, that's a mild drug/poison, not food, and I really don't understand how people defend it unless they just outright believe that food stamps should be replaced with cash. It's not food.
Ok well next time you go to the grocery with your check, cash or credit card- youre not allowed to buy anything thats not healthy in my eyes.

Does that seem fair? No and its not to someone who gets foodstamps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies