Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 07:30 PM

158 posts, read 256,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
Hahaha. Yeah I'm sure everyone who has lost their jobs and houses think the same thing.
Ironically it's the Republicans who say if you can't find a job it's because you're lazy or don't want a job....and if you're losing your house so be it. Shall I list the Republican candidates who talked along these lines, actually literally...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 07:32 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitySide View Post
Ironically it's the Republicans who say if you can't find a job it's because you're lazy or don't want a job....and if you're losing your house so be it. Shall I list the Republican candidates who talked along these lines, actually literally...?
I'll agree with this to some degree.

There seems to be some hypocrisy from Republicans who blame the unemployed and then turn around and talk about how horrible everything is.

I don't think the government indefinitely providing for the unemployed or bailing out homeowners is the answer, but I also think some of the talk is pretty heartless and hypocritical.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:59 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'll agree with this to some degree.

There seems to be some hypocrisy from Republicans who blame the unemployed and then turn around and talk about how horrible everything is.

I don't think the government indefinitely providing for the unemployed or bailing out homeowners is the answer, but I also think some of the talk is pretty heartless and hypocritical.
Are you sure you're a conservative?

Old 12-11-2011, 08:06 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Are you sure you're a conservative?
LOL - yes.

I see huge consequences of the government - especially the federal government - handing out the amount of benefits they do now and especially extending those benefits or providing more.

I think the best way to deal with the unemployed is to grow the economy so that they have an opportunity to get jobs. I don't have an answer for what to do until that point and I'm torn.

At the end of the day, I don't think the federal government should be involved. But, then again, I don't think the unemployed are necessarily lazy either (some of them, sure). I think they should try their very hardest to get jobs and I think charities, families, and perhaps state/local government should be helping. I don't have the short-term answers to this problem and don't pretend to. It's difficult to approach this from two sides, which is what I strive to do.

I certainly don't see adding to massive debt as being a great way to solve any of our problems.

FWIW, I see a lot of hypocrisy from both liberals and conservatives on these issues - a lot.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:09 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Millions of former Obama supporters will no longer vote for him. They have given up on this loser.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:12 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,169,946 times
Quote:
I don't believe it's fine if you can hold a job and you lose it because of the economy.

And, go ahead? I'm not a republican so I don't really care.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:19 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Yep. Their talking points and vitriol will go far next year in 2012...they are in for a rude awakening...cant wait

People out of work and with a depreciating home will NEVER VOTE GOP

Old 12-29-2011, 09:34 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
That's not the way American Politics works. Someone has to be President and if the people don't want Obama anymore they have to elect someone else or Obama wins again by default. So, failure or not, its Obama 2012 from where I sit. Or else I won't be sitting there any longer if anyone takes my bet.

H
I'll take your bet tough guy. I personally will only vote GOP if Paul or Huntsman get the nod, if not I will vote 3rd party for Johnson (or Paul or Huntsman if they run 3rd party). I would have considered another Democrat, which I still think the Democrats should have challenged Obama. But I also believe that even if POS Romney or Gingrich gets the nod, they'll still beat Obama. If they don't, I won't want be on this forum to hear the left wing nut jobs brag about 4 more years of failure, or their childish taunting about how "their guy" won, even though THEY know he's a failure. I won't listen to immature morons be happy about our country going down the *****ter. The question in 2012 will be will people vote with their brains or their egos.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:32 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptical View Post
This seems to be the typical, short term memory of the American Right Wing. The country was spiraling into an economic black hole long before Obama took over and the stage was being set starting in about 2000.

Agreed.

Clinton to sign China trade bill Tuesday - CNN

Clinton: I Was Wrong to Listen to Wrong Advice Against Regulating Derivatives | Video - ABC News

The best way to regulate commercial and investment bank activities in the wake of a breeched Glass-Steigal was to repeal Glass-Steigal?

Old 12-29-2011, 10:44 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
How completely clueless of you.
Trickle-down ring a bell for you?

Under Reagan, the GDP growth rate exceeded 9% as inflation fell 10 points, the US dollar hit its all time high and unemployment dropped 3.6%.

Today the GDP growth rate is less than 2%, inflation is increasing, the dollar has never been weaker and unemployment is stuck at about 9%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies