Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:30 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Most global warming deniers support the GOP, and for them it is a political issue...It really doesn't matter that global warming is a fact, because they are just following GOP dogma and are not really thinking for themselves...The truth is not as important to them as heeling to what they think the party dictates, so that is what they are teaching their kids.
<rant>
This year's temperature is roughly 2.5 degrees Fahrenheit higher than what had been normal since 1980. Federal report: Arctic much worse since 2006
WTF does this rant have to do with children in school being indoctrinated?

Take your soapbox somewhere else......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 08:31 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
From the Wiki

We generally defer to accepted ideas within the scientific community, not public opinion. However, I think you will be hard pressed to avoid discussing the controversy in any academic setting involving all but the youngest children. I can only ::shrug::.
Facts are not made by public opinion, even stating so is stupendously idiotic. Gravity doesn't care if you believe in it or not, planets don't change their orbits based on the latest telephone poll, it still does what it always does. The temperature of the Earth and sea levels don't change depending on how much you believe in it, you can go to the sahara desert and try it if you so desire. Warming has been proven pretty decisively.

Burden of Proof | David Mitchell's Soapbox - YouTube

Old 12-12-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
Speaking of indoctrination, how about an eight year old becoming a vegaterian because of the animal cruelity she was taught about in school?
Hmmm, reads and sounds like a thread hijack attempt....

Old 12-12-2011, 08:32 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Check out what the American Geophysical Union endorses as science for kids.

Big Kid Science

If the GW crowd can't win people with BS they'll do it to our children....

I didn't know dreaming or striving to make the world a better place was such a horrible thing.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I didn't know dreaming or striving to make the world a better place was such a horrible thing.
It's not, but when an agenda is used with children who are taught to respect and not to question what they are taught in grade school it is a horrible thing...

Old 12-12-2011, 08:43 AM

The other example I used, Al Gores movie...

Someone tell me how a grade school child felt after witnessing "the facts" presented in the movie by a former Vice President of the United States showing polar bears dying because of global warming...

Gore says a scientific study shows that polar bears are being killed swimming long distances to find ice that has melted away because of global warming.

Last edited by plwhit; 12-12-2011 at 08:54 AM..

Old 12-12-2011, 09:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post

Follow the money!

International Man of Mystery: Who Is Maurice Strong?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Controversies should be brought up and discussed in a college setting, not in a grade school with impressionable children.

For another example of global warming indoctrination look at Al Gores movie "An Inconvenient Truth"

Lies and mistruths shown to school children as though they were facts...

Enough with this progressive elitist agenda...
Right. Children should never be exposed to anything "controversial". Def. don't take them to a Tea Party rally and make them carry a sign they don't understand, or in some cases, can't even read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I do think there is a bit of an age limit before introducing controversial topics. But, I do NOT think it should be avoided at all costs. I think our children should be taught critical thinking, especially starting at the high school level. I find being dogmatic towards either for or against an idea is not beneficial to a child's education.
I agree with this post except that I'd move the critical thinking education down a few years. Even very young children are capable of getting the drift of right vs wrong, etc.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:17 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
2 boys both in the US Navy, 2 daughters and 7 grandkids (I am broke for getting them all something intelligent.

We are currently reading "Worlds "in" "Upheavel by Immanua velokosky
Well done

Surely at the very least, your sons are aware that the U.S. military, including their branch, has declared climate change a national security threat.
Were they all paid off by Al Gore?

Navy: Global Warming Is Real And Poses Threat To National Security | ThinkProgress

Old 12-12-2011, 11:25 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
Remember kids, promoting agendas are wrong and are not OK unless it is my own agenda.

Honestly the parents here patronizing each other about how they "teach" their kids the "lies about global warming" are pathetic excuses for parents and do nothing more than brainwash their kids with their blatant bias, rather than having them think critically and do some research on this matter. Oh wait, I forgot anything that involves science is liberal bias. And people wonder why this country is getting more dumb by the generation...

Anyone who denies that human pollution has no effect on the climate is heavily deluding themselves and their offspring.

^^This.

Honestly, I don't understand what has happened to people. What happened to the portion of the population who used to care about the environment in which they live?
I honestly believe that we've devolved dramatically since the 1970s between the climate deniers and creationists, and yet these self-same people are often the loudest critics of how poorly our children are educated compared to the rest of the world.
How are our children supposed to compete when their parents refuse to allow them to learn basic scientific fact as is taught in every other first-world country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies