Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 02:16 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,257,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Admittedly, I've never heard of ""Worlds "in" "Upheavel" by someone called "Immanua velokosky", but by a process of pattern recognition and guesswork, I arrived at the tentative conclusion that you were reading either "Worlds in Collision" or "Earth in Upheaval" by Immanuel Velikovsky, who's a pseudo-scientific crackpot extraordinaire. And - well, if that's the sort of input you pick for your mind, I suddenly understand the output a whole lot better.
Sorry I messed up the title, still doesn't excuse your accusation concerning what I think of the author's scientific creditability...

Have you read his books?

The people in the world I feel sorry for are the people like yourself, always making fun or ridiculing others who think differently then them...

Your intellectual superiority complex comes across loud and clear....

Now, do you have anything intelligent to add to this thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Everyone is chasing their tails here.

It is rather comical. I see no one clicked the link and made a comment about this man.

You people have no idea what is going on.
Maybe because it has nothing to do with schools, children and global warming...

Why not open your own thread on Maurice Strong & Co and discuss him there?

Old 12-12-2011, 02:31 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,225,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
As I told another poster, I am not going to debate GW, this thread is about exposing impressionable children in American schools to lies, untruths and questionable science...
I wouldn't consider 90% endorsement to be untruth of questionable science. I'm not debating GW, I'm just stating a fact, that 90% of scientists would disagree with you. I side with the scientific community.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:33 PM

25,836 posts, read 20,777,739 times
Quote:
Are they aware? (and neither of us has seen any polls on the issue) only an extremely small minority within the military would know whether or not the Joint Chiefs of Staff have declared global warming a national security threat....

In fact I'll bet the same thing concerning whether the American public know....
Cannot speak for your sons of course, but, according to my son (Army) it is common knowledge throughout his community that the military has declared climate change a national security threat.

Anyway:

Pentagon: "Climate change, energy security, and economic stability are inextricably linked" | ThinkProgress

Video: Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff says "Climate Change

Operation Free | Secure America with Clean Energy

As for why the American people do not know, I'm guessing willful ignorance.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Cannot speak for your sons of course, but, according to my son (Army) it is common knowledge throughout his community that the military has declared climate change a national security threat.

As for why the American people do not know, I'm guessing willful ignorance.
Funny, everyone who has their own pet thing accuses everyone else of being ignorant of whatever it is that's important to them...

If global warming is such a well proven scientific fact why was Durban such a dud?

Please respond in a thread you open to discuss global warming and the Joint Chiefs of Staff...

Not this one which deals with schools, children, indoctrination and global warming...

Last edited by plwhit; 12-12-2011 at 02:49 PM..

Old 12-12-2011, 02:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,710,121 times
Quote:
If global warming is such a well proven scientific fact why was Durban such a dud?
Because responding to it is expensive and politically difficult. Being proven isn't enough.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Because responding to it is expensive and politically difficult. Being proven isn't enough.
The only way it's been proven is with sham statistics and flawed computer models...

Old 12-12-2011, 02:52 PM

The bottom line is there is not a 100% consensus on man causing global warming and until there is it should not be brought up as fact in grade schools to impressionable children...

Old 12-12-2011, 03:09 PM

25,836 posts, read 20,777,739 times
Quote:
Funny, everyone who has their own pet thing accuses everyone else of being ignorant of whatever it is that's important to them...

Please respond in a thread you open to discuss global warming and the Joint Chiefs of Staff...

Not this one which deals with schools, children, indoctrination and global warming...

The Joint Chiefs believe that climate change is real and a national security threat. The fact that it is regarded as such makes teaching our children about climate change in school perfectly valid IMHO just as teaching about Cold War threats was valid when I was a kid.
It is only indoctrination if you don't want your (grand)children to be educated and prepared.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:15 PM

47,070 posts, read 26,182,571 times
[quote=plwhit;22089703Have you read his books?[/quote] Read Worlds in Collision in the 8th grade and was deeply impressed for few years, but one I started learning real science - method and facts - I had to admit to myself that I'd been duped. And seriously, when the man seems to have a hard time keeping hydrocarbons and carbohydrates straight, it rather throws his work into doubt.

Quote:
The people in the world I feel sorry for are the people like yourself, always making fun or ridiculing others who think differently then them...
You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

But if you're reading Velikovsky to spot the flaws, good on you, of course. Sagan did a nice job already, for what it's worth.

As for global warming, there's very little academic dissent as to the phenomenon occurring. Simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies