Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 02:51 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Catholic works too I noticed.

I quit telling them I'm a half-ass Taoist, because they typically have no idea what that means and start asking stupid questions like "do you worship trees" and "is there a Taoist hell."

I once answered the second question with "Yes, there is. It started when you rang my doorbell."
Oh you do live in a separate part of the country than I. "Catholic" is like waving a red flag in front of a bull where I live. It even inspires Jehovah Witnesses to double-up on the doorknockers. Saying that I'm a Wiccan inspires strange responses, much like your Taoism responses. Do I believe I can fly on brooms? Only when the acid is good, my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 02:52 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,986 times
I think we Atheists *should* include a picture of Mohammed just to shut these believers up and prove we're consistent (unlike them). It makes no difference what fake deity is up on that billboard. Put 'em all up there for all I care. Add Zeus, Krishna, Buddha, Xenu... whatever.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:52 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
The point was to compare Jesus to other past religious figures now considered by (almost) everyone to be mythological.
So they meant to compare Jesus to Beelzebub the Businessman?

Old 12-14-2011, 02:54 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
I think we Atheists *should* include a picture of Mohammed just to shut these believers up and prove we're consistent (unlike them). It makes no difference what fake deity is up on that billboard. Put 'em all up there for all I care. Add Zeus, Krishna, Buddha, Xenu... whatever.

Why not just a blank billboard to show people what you believe in?

Old 12-14-2011, 02:55 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Would it be that hard to disagree at another time of year instead of at Christmas when most people in our country are trying to get into the spirit if giving and being happy just to be with family and friends?

You know they make those who come to our homes to pass out literature seem like lightweights in the annoyance department compared to them.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:57 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Catholic works too I noticed.

I quit telling them I'm a half-ass Taoist, because they typically have no idea what that means and start asking stupid questions like "do you worship trees" and "is there a Taoist hell."

I once answered the second question with "Yes, there is. It started when you rang my doorbell."
What Christians are coming to your door in such numbers? Could it be Jehovah's Witnesses?

Old 12-14-2011, 02:58 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
They have a right to promote their lack of religious beliefs, just as religious groups have a right to promote their beliefs.
But we can't call a Christmas Tree a Christmas Tree. We have to call it a holiday tree because we might offend someone. And we can't mock the atheists because we have to be tolerant. If this were done against a minority group, the left would be having a fit, but because the pictures on that poster have to do with Christianity, it's perfectly fine. I don't understand you're logic.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:59 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Nativity scene, is this just plain wrong?
It doesn't matter.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:59 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
I'm not a Christian but I can't help but notice that the cowards I mean the atheists don't want to mock the religion of peace. Why is that?
I assume you mean Islam, since that label is often used by its adherents in its defense. Although Christ is known as the Prince of Peace, you rarely hear much from the most vocal Christians about peace. It's an interesting phenomenon of conditioning that when the words "religion of peace" are displayed, people don't instantly think of Christianity, they instead sardonically think of what they believe is the antithesis of the phrase.

Anyway.... to the point: Because Christianity is the majority religion in the United States, and if you're wishing to get the point across that religion as a whole is myth, then it makes sense to use a symbol representing the majority religion. This increases the chance that the passerby viewing the display will relate to the religion. Putting a symbol of a minority religion would result in the average religious viewer thinking, "yeah, that's right! And mine's the real religion!" Thus the point would be lost.

As to why it's not included alongside the picture of Jesus (what would they use, a star and crescent?), I'd guess that they wanted one certifiably identifiable religion that the viewer would likely believe in, flanked by things the viewer would clearly understand to be myths. Do most Christians view Islam as a myth? Or rather, just a wrong religion?

Old 12-14-2011, 03:00 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
What Christians are coming to your door in such numbers? Could it be Jehovah's Witnesses?
And Baptists. And Evangelicals. Every once in a while a Methodist. I have someone from a church knocking on my door at least once a month. I get flyers stuck in the door more often than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies