Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:59 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,825 times

Advertisements

I say it loudly and proudly!
If you don't like it, don't listen and don't look.

…………(¯`O´¯)
…………*./ | \ .*
…………..*♫*.
………, • '*♥* ' • ,
……. '*• ♫♫♫•*'
….. ' *, • '♫ ' • ,* '
….' * • ♫*♥*♫• * '
… * , • Merry' • , * '
.* ' •♫♫*♥*♫♫ • ' * '
…' ' • Christmas . • ' ' '
' ' • ♫♫♫*♥*♫♫♫• * ' '
…………..x♥x
…………….♥
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 11:12 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
I myself prefer "Happy Pagan Orgies".

Old 12-16-2011, 11:46 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Cowboys Fan View Post
100% Merry Christmas! You don't say Happy Holidays on Independence Day or Labor Day, so why wouldn't you use the appropriate greeting on Christmas. Besides, even if someone isn't Christian, there is NOTHING offensive about a Merry Christmas wish.
Independence Day is the only holiday at that time, as is Labor Day. Not to mention, you don't spend a month wishing people Independence Day.

Why wouldn't you use the appropriate greeting in a season of many holidays? If you're wishing me a Merry Christmas today then you're over a week off.

Happy Holidays.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:52 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Nothing like the "birth of Jesus" to bring out the "jam it down their throats" attitude of the Jesus believers.....none of that goodwill towards anybody for them!

I have to admit is IS kinda fun to say Happy HOLIDAYS and make them keep their plastic religious symbols on their own property....it makes them so sad and victimized...it just RUINS their entire lives!!!

.LOL!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
I say it loudly and proudly!
If you don't like it, don't listen and don't look.

…………(¯`O´¯)
…………*./ | \ .*
…………..*♫*.
………, • '*♥* ' • ,
……. '*• ♫♫♫•*'
….. ' *, • '♫ ' • ,* '
….' * • ♫*♥*♫• * '
… * , • Merry' • , * '
.* ' •♫♫*♥*♫♫ • ' * '
…' ' • Christmas . • ' ' '
' ' • ♫♫♫*♥*♫♫♫• * ' '
…………..x♥x
…………….♥
Why does it make you proud to say some words????

Why do you have to say it loudly????

Old 12-16-2011, 12:02 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night. Even Santa says it.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:04 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,411,413 times
Yeah. Who's going to be offended by the phrase, "Merry Christmas"? Jews? Buddhists? Muslims? Oh! The horror!

It would be the end of the world if somebody was OFFENDED!

Old 12-16-2011, 01:22 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
BS on the OP,. Nobody feels pressured, they just WANT to feel pressured so they have something to ****** about.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:18 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Yeah. Who's going to be offended by the phrase, "Merry Christmas"? Jews? Buddhists? Muslims? Oh! The horror!

It would be the end of the world if somebody was OFFENDED!

Ah! The season of love and peace and Goodwill to ALL....christian style

Old 12-16-2011, 02:23 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
I say Happy Yule. If someone wants to wish me a merry christmas, fine, but I won't. As individual to individual, its about your own belief/non belief. It was stolen from the yule/solstice celebration anyway.

I see NOTHING wrong with stores saying Happy Holidays. In fact it is proper. There is more than one holiday around this time. Why limit the wishes?

I used to feel that Christmas was a social/family holiday (never cared for the religions part even before I cut it all loose) but now, with the ultra christians who insist it is a *christian* holiday and all other beliefs are wrong, given their belief that even our laws must comply to it, I think I'll pass unless its family where its not. Why don't we celebrate ALL the things shared rather than clutch to one idology?

So Happy Solstice to all of you and may your next year be a good one.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:44 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I like Happy Festivus...for the rest of us. Or, Happy Saturnalia, since most of the Christmas traditions are from pagan religions.

Oh, my, is the fabled "War on Christmas" back in the news?? Wouldn't be the holiday season without an imagined threat to Christianity.
Much of the 'normal' celebration is based on Norse paganism. Odin brough presents to the good children. In a frigid land, a green tree was brought inside (not decorated, as I understand) to bring in the essense of spring. As someone who is pagan I love that part of the holiday season since its now something which belongs to all. Your culturally normal holiday is often a part of most of the holiday celebrations today, at least in the US.

Winter solstice is about the rebirth of living things after winter. The symbolism got coopted by christians. Won't go to the whole part about how it didn't happen in the mid winter.

An ex boyfriend of one of my neices belonged to a family who would not participate in paganism and they stayed home in the holiday and prayed. Nor did they give gifts. How many Christians who get upset about happy holidays are willing to go that far to be 'pure'?

Until it broke, and I need to make a new one, I had a yellow yule candle glass which goes in the window, with yellow lights around it. House is still in mid repairs so not doing anything this year, but unless you notice there is no Jesus, manger, or christian symbols you'd see your normal holiday setting.

Mess or not (summer was too hot to do it, so it got half done) will be a small Yule circle/celebration of the new year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies