Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 05:27 AM

932 posts, read 1,180,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
I work "hard" 8 months a yr.This isnt one of them.
Must be nice to only work hard for 8 months of the year, while the rest of us have to do it for all 12 (or thereabouts).

Enjoy your part-time job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 05:29 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,487,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Must be nice to only work hard for 8 months of the year, while the rest of us have to do it for all 12 (or thereabouts).

Enjoy your part-time job

Yes its quite nice. and I do enjoy it. Snowmobiling, working on my house , usualy a week in the carribean.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:40 AM

4,546 posts, read 6,829,686 times
Quote:
The real "hard working people" are too busy working to be on City-Data posting 100 times a day (often during work hours), spewing sociopathic drivel about the unemployed and the majority of unemployed people are too busy looking for work to bother with this nonsense.

It seems more than a little *odd* to me how you holier-than-thou types on here who claim to work SO hard seem to have so much downtime.

Don't worry, I'm not expecting an honest answer here, but I have no respect and no love for people who get kicks out of causing pain and misery to others.

It's a shame that this political forum has descended into little more than a place for cowardly sociopaths to vent their anger out at less fortunate people. I call them cowardly because it's unlikely they would even dare call someone a "deadbeat" to their face in real life.
I agree. There are millions of people unemployed. The job markets in different areas of the country vary greatly. Additionally, a collapsed housing market in many areas has made it difficult for many people to relocate since they cannot sell their home for enough money to meet their contractual obligation to the bank that holds their mortgage.

What does the unemployed "dead beat" do? Do they skip out on their obligation to the bank or continue to try and find a job that is commensurate with the one they lost and in an area where they have the skills, knowledge, and experience to be successful? Sure they could take a job for $7 per hour but that would require working over 80 hours a week to receive what they receive in UI.

It is a complicated issue. The past 4 or 5 years have been unlike previous modern recoveries since the jobs being created are of lower value than the ones they replaced. Median income continues to decline and people are losing ground. This dangerous scenario requires a reduced standard of living. Most of what the bottom 50% need to meet basic living needs is priced on the world market and costs substantially more today than it did at the beginning of this century.

The true corruption is found in our bought-off representatives and their sponsors. They trade away our future for their own gain while fooling the masses into turning on themselves.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Sure they could take a job for $7 per hour but that would require working over 80 hours a week to receive what they receive in UI.

Ya hit it on the nose, mathmaticly , working makes no sense when free money comes easy. Another form of welfare.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:11 AM

4,546 posts, read 6,829,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Ya hit it on the nose, mathmaticly , working makes no sense when free money comes easy. Another form of welfare.
Many of the people who lost their jobs were making 4 times the minimum wage. The max UI equates to a little more than 2 times minimum wage. It requires a substantial reduction in lifestyle and is designed to help keep the unemployed person afloat while they look for work in which they are qualified.

The incentive is to overcome the 50% or more deficit in your income.

I know many people who have lost their job through no fault of their own. They were hardworking, committed employees whose companies were acquired and downsized. Many had years of specialized experience, education, and training. Many had very good salaries, saved for their own retirement, and their children's college education.

Do you really think it is a better for them to go and work 80+ hours a week at Walmart for $7 an hour as opposed to working "full time" to try and find a job that utilizes their skills and/or get some additional training/skills to make them more marketable?

Old 12-18-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Many of the people who lost their jobs were making 4 times the minimum wage. The max UI equates to a little more than 2 times minimum wage. It requires a substantial reduction in lifestyle and is designed to help keep the unemployed person afloat while they look for work in which they are qualified.

The incentive is to overcome the 50% or more deficit in your income.

I know many people who have lost their job through no fault of their own. They were hardworking, committed employees whose companies were acquired and downsized. Many had years of specialized experience, education, and training. Many had very good salaries, saved for their own retirement, and their children's college education.

Do you really think it is a better for them to go and work 80+ hours a week at Walmart for $7 an hour as opposed to working "full time" to try and find a job that utilizes their skills and/or get some additional training/skills to make them more marketable?
Add to that, retailers will be less likely to hire such people for being too old or overqualified. So even if such individuals applied for $7 an hour jobs at Walmart, Walmart would be more likely to hire someone much younger, or someone less likely to jump ship the second they get a better and more suitable offer.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:20 AM

Wallmart and all min wage employers expect a large turnover.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
I agree. There are millions of people unemployed. The job markets in different areas of the country vary greatly. Additionally, a collapsed housing market in many areas has made it difficult for many people to relocate since they cannot sell their home for enough money to meet their contractual obligation to the bank that holds their mortgage.

What does the unemployed "dead beat" do? Do they skip out on their obligation to the bank or continue to try and find a job that is commensurate with the one they lost and in an area where they have the skills, knowledge, and experience to be successful? Sure they could take a job for $7 per hour but that would require working over 80 hours a week to receive what they receive in UI.

It is a complicated issue. The past 4 or 5 years have been unlike previous modern recoveries since the jobs being created are of lower value than the ones they replaced. Median income continues to decline and people are losing ground. This dangerous scenario requires a reduced standard of living. Most of what the bottom 50% need to meet basic living needs is priced on the world market and costs substantially more today than it did at the beginning of this century.

The true corruption is found in our bought-off representatives and their sponsors. They trade away our future for their own gain while fooling the masses into turning on themselves.
This is one of the most sensible and non-partisan posts I've seen in this thread and I agree. It is an extremely complex issue and the job market itself has changed so drastically, even over the last decade. I say that if you have a job today, consider yourself lucky. Others who may have worked jus as hard as you may not be so lucky.

So many jobs have been outsourced overseas. Companies have cut back, we import cheaper products from overseas, which may have seemed like the cheapest option at the time, but in a way, we are all paying for it now. The world itself is rapidly changing, as countries such as India, China and Brazil are catching up, meaning that our % share of the world's overall wealth has also lessened. Our manufacturing base is not what it was several decades ago.

I don't have the answers, but I would be too afraid of bad karma to sit back and be even remotely smug about the fact that I have a job, never mind call people deadbeats or just one notch away from being criminals. Some people on here clearly have serious mental issues.

I would like to hear their solutions, in terms of helping to get millions of people back to work, or at least ensuring that millions upon millions of people don't descend into absolute poverty, which is an extremely dangerous scenario for us all.

Last edited by Glasvegas; 12-18-2011 at 06:48 AM..

Old 12-18-2011, 06:43 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,872,316 times
Quote:
So many jobs have been outsourced overseas. Companies have cut back, we import cheaper products from overseas, which may have seemed like the cheapest option at the time, but in a way, we are all paying for it now. The world itself is rapidly changing, as countries such as India, China and Brazil are catching up, meanin our share of the world's overall wealth has also lessened. Our manufacturing base is not what it was several decades ago.
Yep, and it ain't gona slow down just because we want it to. I've come to the conclusion that we're pretty much screwed. Wages are going to come down and standard of living is going to decrease (happening already). We've been living on a bubble for quite a while now.

You really have to put things in perspective.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Yep, and it ain't gona slow down just because we want it to. I've come to the conclusion that we're pretty much screwed. Wages are going to come down and standard of living is going to decrease (happening already). We've been living on a bubble for quite a while now.

You really have to put things in perspective.

The american consumer can change that, but they have no desire to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies