Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 10:39 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,998,309 times

Advertisements

If folks in the IT field formed a union and walked out it would be funny to watch the system at every business collapse. Hell just unplug a few fiber lines on the way out and pure anarchy would ensue. LOL Fact is they don't need to because they are smart enough to negotiate their own salary compensation. Lot of companies hate to pony up the dough to keep up to speed but have realized it is now more than just a necessity it is survival. If your looking to get into the workforce in today's day and age that is the way to go. I've worked for seven or eight companies around here the last fifteen or so years. Many actually like a guy who moves around because it show they can adapt to new systems and proprietary apps quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 10:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Oh looky, more useless party line talking points ("through no fault of their own"). Sorry lady, but if you've been out of work for 2 years, the fault is all you.
Well, I haven't been out of work for two yeas, so I don't know why you're directing this to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I was 33 when I got laid off, and found a job in about 6 months... a bit longer than usual for my field, but I still managed to find something. I understand it's much harder for older folks (like 50+), but until then it usually doesn't make a difference. Actually works in your favor sometimes, as a 35 year-old typically has more experience than a 25 year-old.
Depends on the field, and a host of other factors. About 8 years ago, I took a refresher course in nursing, b/c I couldn't find a job. We had a discussion about age discrimination. Someone brought up the issue that an older nurse had more to offer than a new graduate. I said I knew that; I wasn't worried about competing with new grads; I was worried about competng with 40 year olds.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:38 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
When you get older, the most important lesson you will have learned is to never say "never." Life happens, situations change, and people like you find themselves humbled.

23 years old and you think you have all the answers.
What do I think I know that I don't know exactly? I know I can get laid off.

The difference is that I know that in order to succeed I have to make myself valuable, a lot of people don't seem to be able to grasp that concept.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:43 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,840 times
Just curious, how can someone who was laid off be a deadbeat and taking benefits when we are in a depression with few jobs and they get unemployment due to there being no jobs and they have a family to feed...

That is not being a deadbeat... it is being responsible

I guess they didn't "pull themselves up by the bootstraps" as much as the OP did

Old 12-18-2011, 01:31 AM

521 posts, read 466,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Just curious, how can someone who was laid off be a deadbeat and taking benefits when we are in a depression with few jobs and they get unemployment due to there being no jobs and they have a family to feed...

That is not being a deadbeat... it is being responsible

I guess they didn't "pull themselves up by the bootstraps" as much as the OP did
Because we aren't really in a recession. It's really just a bunch of lazy people refusing to get jobs and living off the government. If they got rid of welfare, minimum wage, "paid time off", and unemployment insurance we'd be out of this so-called "recession" and these losers and deadbeats would actually have to look for work quickly to survive or be on the street. Survival of the fittest.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:14 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
If folks in the IT field formed a union and walked out it would be funny to watch the system at every business collapse. Hell just unplug a few fiber lines on the way out and pure anarchy would ensue. LOL Fact is they don't need to because they are smart enough to negotiate their own salary compensation. Lot of companies hate to pony up the dough to keep up to speed but have realized it is now more than just a necessity it is survival. If your looking to get into the workforce in today's day and age that is the way to go. I've worked for seven or eight companies around here the last fifteen or so years. Many actually like a guy who moves around because it show they can adapt to new systems and proprietary apps quickly.
They wouldn't because the guy with a degree from MIT dosnt want to be lumped into the same pay rate as the guy who has an associates from bunker himm community college.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I did the education and working thing and I have no money.

Actualy you didnt. You may think you did, but you didn't.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I graduated in the top 5% of my class. In Japan, an employer would have gladly hired me and provided all the training and given me all the skills they needed. Now whose fault is it that I am unskilled?

Yours, for not trying to sell yourself. Did you not say " I do better hiding behind a keyboard"? Leads one to beleive you have some social skills issues.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:08 AM

932 posts, read 1,177,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Yours, for not trying to sell yourself. Did you not say " I do better hiding behind a keyboard"? Leads one to beleive you have some social skills issues.
The real "hard working people" are too busy working to be on City-Data posting 100 times a day (often during work hours), spewing sociopathic drivel about the unemployed and the majority of unemployed people are too busy looking for work to bother with this nonsense.

It seems more than a little *odd* to me how you holier-than-thou types on here who claim to work SO hard seem to have so much downtime.

Don't worry, I'm not expecting an honest answer here, but I have no respect and no love for people who get kicks out of causing pain and misery to others.

It's a shame that this political forum has descended into little more than a place for cowardly sociopaths to vent their anger out at less fortunate people. I call them cowardly because it's unlikely they would even dare call someone a "deadbeat" to their face in real life.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:16 AM

I work "hard" 8 months a yr.This isnt one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies