Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 01:53 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA151 View Post
RADICALS ON BOTH sides of the isle use thier political voice ( money power ) to pursue a agenda cathy is no differant
the networks use it frequently
unions use it
the nra use it
oil companies use it
whats the differance ?

None. You can start a boycott against anyone you want. Why are you do you have your panties in such a bunch about this boycott? Because you don't agree with it. Tough.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:55 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Ugh. How many times does this have to be repeated.

Its not the stance of the owner on gay marriage. Its the fact that they use corporate funds to back religious political organizations whose sole purpose is to keep gay marriage non existent.

That's the reason for the boycott, because they are using your money to back something you disagree with.

Get it?

Damn.
Was going to counter Xanthos counter but this already did.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:55 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:

Its not the stance of the owner on gay marriage. Its the fact that they use corporate funds to back religious political organizations whose sole purpose is to keep gay marriage non existent.

That's the reason for the boycott, because they are using your money to back something you disagree with.
This.

It has nothing to do with religion.

It has nothing to do with the owner's personal stance on gay marriage.

It has everything to do with using company money to donate towards groups that actively seek to further discrimination against homosexuals.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:57 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
Quote:

Get it?

Damn.
And how many times does it need to be repeated?

Quote:
1) Chik-Fil-A is a franchise business. Meaning if you boycott CFA, you're actually just boycotting some local businessperson who's views you don't know. Chik-Fil-A is going to get the same signage and food fees for franchising as they would if you walked through the door. These businesses can't suddenly become KFC's - they're in multi-year deals

---------------

Quote:
Was going to counter Xanthos counter but this already did.
To someone who doesn't understand simple concepts like what is really going on, I'm sure you'd feel that it is countering. To those who can grasp these concepts, no, it didn't.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:59 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA151 View Post
no fiqures on that but ill bet there are some
so its okay to eat at chi fil a once a month by your premise .

funny how SOME folks ration their moral stance to suit there individual needs
if you want to boycott businesses that discriminate against gays DO IT dont pick and choose

just like those who want to boycott walmart cus they are anti union yet eat at macdonalds
muddled thinking
Which gas companies directly donate to organizations that lobby to deny marriage equality in the US?
I won't buy from them.

That is what this is about for me.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:01 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
If something like 'love' isn't Generally part of a desire to marry, why do I read so often that bans against ssm prevent gays from marrying the person they love ? Is that a fake emotional plea, when the real reason is the gov't. bennies ?
Because if heterosexuals can get a civil marriage with the person they love or somebody they want to have something like insurance, then homosexuals should have the same honour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
then you don't get it, the government has nothing to do with two people joining together. I know people who have been together for 40 years without a piece of paper signed by the government, you see they don't care about a piece of paper because they love each other and that's what it should be about.
Some people want the benefits and protections. Some don't.

Just because some heterosexuals don't care about them doesn't mean homosexuals should inherently be denied them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessQQmorePEWPEW View Post
most religious dont care about homosexuals, only the use of the word marriage.
Considering that marriage is a secular term and that the government seal of approval is secular, perhaps religious people need to study up more on the etymology and history of marriage throughout cultures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I disagree with him on his viewpoint, but I respect his conviction and am willing to be TOLERANT of his belief - something those with the liberal condition (who preach nothing but tolerance) seem incapable of doing.
I have always been "tolerant" of his views.

I am against my money going to organizations that have goals, messages, and/or actions that I vehemently disapprove of.

He's free to think as he wishes. He's free to donate to whomever he wants. And I'm free to say "I don't want my money going to [name] organization".

Old 07-31-2012, 02:01 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
Ya know what this boycott most reminds me of?

Those people who get into their cars in the morning, stop off at Starbuck's for a $6 latte, drive across town to a bank headquarters, pull out their Sharpie pen that they bought from Safeway, write some ridiculous phrase about them being "the 99%" on a placard, wave it around and scream for a little while....then get back into their cars, stop off at Exxon on their way home and fill up their tank (stopping inside the convenience store for a Coke), make a quick jaunt to McDonald's just before getting home so they can get dinner for the family, then sit at their dinner table which was made by Vietnamese sweatshop workers and pat themselves on the back for all the work they did for the day and how they've really helped stick it to the corporatocracy.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:03 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Ya know what this boycott most reminds me of?

Those people who get into their cars in the morning, stop off at Starbuck's for a $6 latte, drive across town to a bank headquarters, pull out their Sharpie pen that they bought from Safeway, write some ridiculous phrase about them being "the 99%" on a placard, wave it around and scream for a little while....then get back into their cars, stop off at Exxon on their way home and fill up their tank, make a quick jaunt to McDonald's just before getting home so they can get dinner for the family, then sit at their dinner table which was made by Vietnamese sweatshop workers and pat themselves on the back for all the work they did for the day and how they've really helped stick it to the corporatocracy.

Dude! That was awsome! I agree!

Old 07-31-2012, 02:03 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Humans are often irrational in their behavior, Xanthos. But this is the free market at work.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:10 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
And how many times does it need to be repeated?
That's all well and good.

But this has nothing to do with personal stances, just hte stances of the company and where the company goes.

Like it's been said.

Numerous times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies