Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 03:08 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
You people would come across a lot more intelligent if you actually understood and could wrap your head around the concept that preaching TOLERANCE doesn't mean embracing bigotry and intolerant points of view.

Tolerance means being OK that someone is a different religion than you.

However, you only TOLERATE other opinions so long as they do not affect your right to live as a free human being. You DON'T TOLERATE opinions such as:

1) Women should not be able to drive, and need to cover up head to toe;
2) Black people should go to separate schools than whites;
3) Gay people are not deserving of the same rights as straight people.

Comprende, geniuses?
Yes, you do. They're opinions. You don't persecute people for having them (in the case of these three opinions, what you should do is ignore them). That flies directly in the face of what this country is about.

Last edited by tribecavsbrowns; 08-06-2012 at 03:18 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 03:09 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyboopster View Post
To tolerate: to accept or endure someone or something unpleasant or disliked with forbearance.

Thank you for that google dictionary definition of tolerance.

Where does it state one must TOLERATE actions which are bigotry, oppression or violence?

Are people who preach tolerance expected to tolerate EVERYTHING? Are people who preach tolerance of unpopular IDEAS supposed to tolerate racism? What about people who preach tolerance of other religions? Are they supposed to tolerate violent ACTIONS done in the name of religion?

Face it: Social conservatives are simply ill-equipped to deal with the idea of freedom and liberty. Plain and simple. They NEED the government to tell them HOW to live their lives, and they need everyone else to be just like hem.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:10 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
nana053 already gave a very good response, but I will just add that it's incredibly naive to think that because someone doesn't say the words they don't own them.

Considering how the majority of the evidence shows no reason to think homosexuality is harmful to individuals or to society (Indeed, some of the evidence even suggests gay marriage and gay adoption could be beneficial), and considering that those who blame the bible or "God" for their anti-gay words and actions have chosen not to go after people who work on the Sabbath (therefore breaking one of the Ten Commandments, even) with the same sort of passion, it's perfectly rational to conclude that sentiments against gay marriage are based on a prejudice.

You people fail the duck test at every turn. If you walk, talk, and act like someone with a prejudice; that's probably because you are.
And if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Yes, you do. They're opinions. You don't persecute people for having them (in the case of these three opinions, what you should do is ignore them). That flies directly in the place of what this country is about.

No, you don't, and no, it isn't.

Are you having a hard time distinguishing between the RIGHT to an opinion (which everyone is entitled to have), and the RIGHT to have that opinion RESPECTED or treated as EQUALLY VALID as someone elses (which they are NOT).

On whether Chocolate ice cream is better than Vanilla, sure, that's true. On whether women should be given equal pay for equal work, then sorry Jack, that doesn't fly. Wanna know why? Because this country is SUPPOSED to be about EQUALITY for all. Liberty. Justice. That sort of stuff.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Well, much of what I read from a lot of posters here who quote the Bible shows me that they don't understand.

Yes. Only a select few(TM) are privvy to "the truth" of the Bible.

Only years and years of study of the fifteen times revised, new American evangelical version of texts originally written in Hebrew and Greek, applicable and phrased in social norms and customs of ancient cultures can provide one with the "true" understanding of the Bible!

Old 08-06-2012, 03:31 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I notice you chose not to reply to the remainder of that post, which explains exactly how we know your motivation is a prejudice against gay people, not any sort of logic or religious discipline
I have never spoke of religion in my posts other than freedom of. My point is still the same, Mr Cathy can speak his beliefs and contribute to whom he wants and you have the right to boycott and I have the right to counter that boycott and that is what I stand up for.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:33 PM

270 posts, read 522,450 times
Quote:
Thank you for that google dictionary definition of tolerance.

Where does it state one must TOLERATE actions which are bigotry, oppression or violence?

Are people who preach tolerance expected to tolerate EVERYTHING? Are people who preach tolerance of unpopular IDEAS supposed to tolerate racism? What about people who preach tolerance of other religions? Are they supposed to tolerate violent ACTIONS done in the name of religion?

Face it: Social conservatives are simply ill-equipped to deal with the idea of freedom and liberty. Plain and simple. They NEED the government to tell them HOW to live their lives, and they need everyone else to be just like hem.
No problem. Glad I could help clear that up. And as for the rest of your post, I am not the one preaching tolerance here.

431 posts, read 474,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I don't know about the first 3, but FotF and FRC are registered hate groups, and Exodus International is a reparative "therapy" organization trying to alter gays orientation and turn them straight through very destructive means that have proven to cause psychological damage. Even their former President apologized for the damage they have caused and that their methods do not work.
REGISTERED BY WHOM ?
NOT THE FEDERAL GOVT who are the only official body ,all others are agenda driven ( opinionated )
by some left wing activist org know as..southern poverty law center
who the **** are they to decide .
note they are a extreme left wing action group all the hate groups listed by them are CHRISTIAN OR RELIGIOUS BASED
how interesting NOT a left wing hate group listed > sorry i forget there are no left wing hate groups

black panthers remember ????

when those opposed to hate (of any kind ) include ALL HATE GROUPS ill start to listen to them

The following is a list of U.S.-based organizations classified by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) as hate groups, excluding those that appear to exist only on the Internet.
The SPLC defines hate groups as those which "... have beliefs or practices that attack or malign an entire class of people, typically for their immutable characteristics". The SPLC states that hate group activities may include speeches, marches, rallies, meetings, publishing, leafleting, and criminal acts such as violence, although not all groups listed by the SPLC engage in criminal activity.[1]
The SPLC reported that 926 hate groups were active in the United States in 2008, up from 888 in 2007. These included:

l

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
No, you don't, and no, it isn't.

Are you having a hard time distinguishing between the RIGHT to an opinion (which everyone is entitled to have), and the RIGHT to have that opinion RESPECTED or treated as EQUALLY VALID as someone elses (which they are NOT).

On whether Chocolate ice cream is better than Vanilla, sure, that's true. On whether women should be given equal pay for equal work, then sorry Jack, that doesn't fly. Wanna know why? Because this country is SUPPOSED to be about EQUALITY for all. Liberty. Justice. That sort of stuff.
Do you have any idea what the word "opinion" means? Everyone's opinion is valid. Who is to say the person you agree with's opinion is right, but the person you disagree with's is not? Oh yeah, a Liberal.....

Old 08-06-2012, 03:45 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Christians haven't "chosen one group of sinners to target". They actively address all sinners, wherever they find them.
"Actively"? I don't buy it. And even if I did, they certainly don't address any with same amount of passion as they do homosexuality. I've never heard of a single protest or sermon in a public forum against people working on the Sabbath, much less a group of Christians (you know, TRUE Christians, not just homophobes) trying to make it illegal. Opposition to gay rights is vastly more rampant than opposition to those who break this commandment.

Quote:
However, where you all are wrong is that you think that their actions are the result of hate. No, there's no hate, except for the sin(s). Ever hear, "Hate the sin, but love the sinner?"
Of course I have. It's one of the many cliches thrown out when someone who is against gay marriage doesn't know what else to say.

The bible says to love and to kill both homosexuals and people who work on the Sabbath, but not to hate them. That's your rulebook. 100% understood. Doesn't address my question regarding what you and others ARE doing, however.

It's a simple one: Why target homosexuals more than all the other "sinners"? If not hate, then what motivates the choosing of one group over another?

Quote:
BTW, I don't have to prove anything. I could quote from the Bible the words of Jesus specifically about working on the Sabbath.
He says it's okay to feed the hungry, heal people and to set children and animals free on the Sabbath. That's it.

And there are those who reason and interpret that Jesus condoned homosexuality as well. The only reason for someone to assume that what Jesus said about the Sabbath means "I can work on the Sabbath, no matter what kind of work that may be!" and not concede that maybe homosexuality is no longer a sin is that they've a personal preference for one and against the other.

http://www.jesusonhomosexuality.com/
http://rainbowallianceopenfaith.home...sProGay01.html
http://onfaith.washingtonpost.com/on...sexuality.html

But this is just the tip of the iceberg.

The bible says to kill fortunetellers (psychics).
It says to kill people who don't listen to priests.
To kill people of other religions.
To kill nonbelievers.
To kill women who aren't virgins on their wedding night.

Does Jesus say "Ehh, disregard" all of these things? So why give them a pass (meaning not rally for each and every one of them to be made illegal) and not gay marriage?

Last edited by Vic 2.0; 08-06-2012 at 04:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies